New players means new lines - What would you do?

1 minute ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

1) No thanks to Kulak on the top pair.

2) Armia has averaged 32 points per 82 games, whereas Anderson has average 36.5 points per 82 games. Not exactly an astonishing difference offensively.

If you can’t see a difference between Armia and Anderson’s offensive impact, then you are watching very different games from me...

On Kulak: the Habs do not have a legit top-4 puck-mover other than Petry. Romanov *should* become that eventually, and it can’t happen too soon. In the meantime, I tend to take the view that Kulak is the best we’ve got. He’s said before that confidence is his problem; maybe trusting him with a bigger role will help bring that out and therefore bring out to top-4 Kulak who we know exists, because we’ve seen it.

There’s no good answer, but Kulak seems to be the least bad.

15 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

2) Armia has averaged 32 points per 82 games, whereas Anderson has average 36.5 points per 82 games. Not exactly an astonishing difference offensively.

(1) I agree ... not the ideal choice

(2) WOW ... watching them play I would have felt that Anderson was far, far, far more of a threat ... but I guess the numbers show they are interchangeable ;)

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

I believe the taxi squad must have at least 4 players (including one goalie) ... Hillis and Verbeek were on the taxi squad (pending their return to their juniper teams?), along with Lindgren and Frolik, but doubt the Habs ever planned to use them ... on a western trip they want useable bodies.

50 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The taxi squad has basically been filled by no one they'd actually use when the Habs are at home.  Now, they're going out West where they're going to need to take the taxi squad with them so they'll bring players that they can actually use if someone was to get injured.

Ah that makes sense. 

Had me buzzing a bit about a possible trade. 

53 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

That Anderson stat likely includes his injury year where he scored 1 I think. 

Take all of his injury games out and his numbers are surely more impressive 

Armia last 5yrs- 267gms 56g (0.21g/gm)

Anderson last 5 yrs- 269gms 74g (0.28g/gm)

and his 10g in 20gms so far is bit higher than his career average, hopefully a late bloomer, kinda like LeClair.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

(2) WOW ... watching them play I would have felt that Anderson was far, far, far more of a threat ... but I guess the numbers show they are interchangeable ;)

It also depends on the role and the linemates. In Winnipeg, Armia was exclusively playing a checking role on the bottom six, while Anderson has played an offensive role with stronger linemates.

Am I claiming that Armia is equal to Anderson? No, but he may well be able to play a similar role, given the opportunity -- which he now has, assuming Ducharme keeps him with Suzuki and Drouin.

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Not sure why we would recall either one?

Is something happening with the roster? A nagging injury?

Ducharme doing something really bold like playing these guys?

Extra bodies for a 6 game western swing.

As I felt prior to the season, Armia is an Anderson light. By definition, that means Anderson is superior to Armia. I don’t know where anyone would infer that I’ve stated that Armia is on the same level as Anderson.

With that being said, it is no surprise that Anderson would be statistically superior to Armia based on the fact that he had been playing with Suzuki and Drouin. That’s a pretty obvious outcome. If you switched their roles, Armia may have more points than Anderson this season. 

In the end, Anderson has exceeded my expectations so far this year and I’ve been happy to have him. Armia is far from a black hole offensively when called upon, however.

5 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

As I felt prior to the season, Armia is an Anderson light. By definition, that means Anderson is superior to Armia. I don’t know where anyone would infer that I’ve stated that Armia is on the same level as Anderson.

With that being said, it is no surprise that Anderson would be statistically superior to Armia based on the fact that he had been playing with Suzuki and Drouin. That’s a pretty obvious outcome. If you switched their roles, Armia may have more points than Anderson this season. 

In the end, Anderson has exceeded my expectations so far this year and I’ve been happy to have him. Armia is far from a black hole offensively when called upon, however.

That's pretty much the same thing I am trying to say.

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Not sure why we would recall either one?

Is something happening with the roster? A nagging injury?

Ducharme doing something really bold like playing these guys?

i hope they sent Fleury down

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

(1) I agree ... not the ideal choice

This is an examples of the numbers not telling the whole story and the fact that it’s such a small sample size for both.  There has been much more games where Armia had zero impact than there have been Anderson.

49 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

This is an examples of the numbers not telling the whole story and the fact that it’s such a small sample size for both.  There has been much more games where Armia had zero impact than there have been Anderson.

Agree ... hence the wink ;)

9 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

That Anderson stat likely includes his injury year where he scored 1 I think. 

Take all of his injury games out and his numbers are surely more impressive 

OK, so we take Anderson's last two unbroken seasons, 2017-2018 and 2018-2019. Through those, Anderson has 0.32 GPG and 0.53 PPG. Armia's last two seasons for the Habs show 0.25 GPG and 0.46 PPG. About 20% less goal-scoring and roughly the same assists per game.

Now, let's look at as 5v5 goals/60 and points/60 rate, for the same time periods:

Anderson 1.01 goals/60, 0.64 assists/60 (and 4+7 in 200 minutes of PP time)

Armia 0.71 goals/60, 0.58 assists/60 (and 5+5 in 215 minutes of PP time)

This says to me that PP effectiveness is not so different (especially given the Habs' pathetic PP over the last two years) and assists are not so different, but Anderson has been scoring about 40% more 5v5 goals per 60.

To me, this just confirms that (1) Armia is not the same level as Anderson, but also (2) he is not an offensive black hole. That will also be reflected on his next contract, which will be substantially less expensive.

Incidentally, 5v5 points/60 ranking for the season so far -- Anderson on top:

1. Anderson
  2. Drouin
  3. Toffoli
  4. Gallagher
  5. Armia
  6. Tatar
  7. Suzuki
  8. Kotkaniemi
  9. Danault
  10. Byron
  11. Perry
  12. Evans
  13. Lehkonen

21 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I believe the taxi squad must have at least 4 players (including one goalie) ... Hillis and Verbeek were on the taxi squad (pending their return to their juniper teams?), along with Lindgren and Frolik, but doubt the Habs ever planned to use them ... on a western trip they want useable bodies.

yes, it has to be a minimum of  four and it has to include one goalie.

4 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Now this is precisely what I’ve been asking for lately. 

Ducharme reads everything I post confirmed. 

Well coach the next step is to split up Weber and Chairot 

Profit 

Armia is Dom’s Tom Pyat 

34 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Now this is precisely what I’ve been asking for lately. 
Ducharme reads everything I post confirmed. 
Well coach the next step is to split up Weber and Chairot 

Profit 

Excellent ... I wish I was willing to stay up and watch live how they do tomorrow night ... I would also have been OK with Gallagher joining Suzuki/Drouin and leaving Anderson with KK/Toffoli, but these are my preference as well.

5 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Tatar - Danault - Armia

The "Playing For a Contract" line. 

that is a good one to pick up, like I use to yell when coaching baseball “ Good eye! Good eye @Trizzak

• 3 weeks later...

So a bit excited of the two new additions of Stall and Cole. Nice to see the kid starting in Laval and hopefully with success there he might be ready for end of season and carryover into the playoffs. 

toffoli - kk - Anderson 

Drouin - Suzuki - Staal

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher

Armia - Evans - Perry

and then before seasons end 

Toffoli - kk - Anderson 

Drouin - Suzuki - Cole 

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher

Armia  - Staal - Perry

might be a very exciting ending here! 

Assuming no further trades, I think a fourth line of Lehkonen-Staal-Perry is much more likely (pre-Caufield). Staal will surely take Evans’ spot for the rest of the season.

Post-Caufield, we really have too many forwards so I expect Bergevin to make one more move.

18 minutes ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

So is it possible to send Byron to Laval and save all that cap hit? We all know he’ll clear waivers. 

We only save $1.075M (if memory serves me correctly), whether he is in Laval or on the taxi squad, no difference there.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Assuming no further trades, I think a fourth line of Lehkonen-Staal-Perry is much more likely (pre-Caufield). Staal will surely take Evans’ spot for the rest of the season.

Post-Caufield, we really have too many forwards so I expect Bergevin to make one more move.

Who is most likely? Lehkonen, Tatar, Armia, Frolik, Byron?