New players means new lines - What would you do?

19 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

We only save $1.075M (if memory serves me correctly), whether he is in Laval or on the taxi squad, no difference there.

That is correct.  The AHL and taxi squad have the same treatment.  When in the NHL, Byron counts for $3.4M.  When he's in the AHL or taxi squad, it's $2.325M.  The only way it comes off the books entirely is by trading him.

24 minutes ago, DON said:

Who is most likely? Lehkonen, Tatar, Armia, Frolik, Byron?

Frolik does nothing for the cap ... Lehkonen has been used less and been less productive than Armia, so I agree with what I assume is the meaning of your bolded text, AL seems the most likely to move ... I still would prefer to "just pull off the bandaid" and move Byron ... it likley would cost more to do so but his contract will still be an issue next season and the season after that

8 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

That is correct.  The AHL and taxi squad have the same treatment.  When in the NHL, Byron counts for $3.4M.  When he's in the AHL or taxi squad, it's $2.325M.  The only way it comes off the books entirely is by trading him.

YES PLEASE
;)  :D 

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Frolik does nothing for the cap 

For Frolik, i am just thinking Stall likely bumped him down another peg on the old vet. roster spots or taxisquad (and assuming Caufield looks ready "enough" in Laval stint), so do they need his depth at all?

4 minutes ago, DON said:

For Frolik, i am just thinking Stall likely bumped him down another peg on the old vet. roster spots or taxisquad (and assuming Caufield looks ready "enough" in Laval stint), so do they need his depth at all?

Likely not ... but he has no cap impact, so unless they need the space on the taxi squad I expect he will stay put

1 hour ago, DON said:

Who is most likely? Lehkonen, Tatar, Armia, Frolik, Byron?

Lehkonen because he's not getting ice time.

Armia or Tatar because they are pending UFAs.

Byron because he is expensive relative to what he produces.

Frolik ... I don't think anyone will be looking to acquire Frolik, as he wasn't in demand before, and hasn't played a single game since.

Weal ... I would keep him as we need some kind of C depth in Laval.

Just now, tomh009 said:

Weal ... I would keep him as we need some kind of C depth in Laval.

I like Weal but I'd move him in a heartbeat and I'm sure the Habs would too.  They have Poehling, Vejdemo, Dauphin, and Blandisi as centres with some NHL experience and Evans is probably heading for Laval when Staal is available.  That's more than enough depth to move Weal who they've rarely used at C in his time with Montreal.  If they could move him, they'd free up a very useful $325K in cap room.

• 2 weeks later...

With Gallagher out for weeks and the addition of Staal I wonder what the lines will be?

Tatar - Danault - Suzuki 

Perry - Staal - Anderson 

Drouin - KK - Toffoli 

Byron - Evans - Lehkonen 

They used KK on the wing yesterday but I think Suzuki is a better choice. I consider Suzuki to be smarter and more versatile than KK. 

Perry and Anderson had obvious chemistry and Staal is the perfect catalyst. 

Armia can fight with Lehkonen for a spot when he returns. 

11 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

With Gallagher out for weeks and the addition of Staal I wonder what the lines will be?

Tatar - Danault - Suzuki 

Perry - Staal - Anderson 

Drouin - KK - Toffoli 

Byron - Evans - Lehkonen 

They used KK on the wing yesterday but I think Suzuki is a better choice. I consider Suzuki to be smarter and more versatile than KK. 

Perry and Anderson had obvious chemistry and Staal is the perfect catalyst. 

Armia can fight with Lehkonen for a spot when he returns. 

I expect to see Byron back on the line with Tatar and Danault.

And I expect Evans will be in the press box once Armia returns.

INTERESTING ... KK on right-wing ... remember when it seemed like the Habs had too may RWs ... it will be very interesting to see how it works ... shows a lot of trust in KK as that line likely draws Matthews et al

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

INTERESTING ... KK on right-wing ... remember when it seemed like the Habs had too may RWs ... it will be very interesting to see how it works ... shows a lot of trust in KK as that line likely draws Matthews et al

it is more support for my belief that Dom is giving KK more defensive responsibilities to prepare him for a bigger role with the team

KK has played against top line lately and with Byron and Lehkonen recently.

He needs to be as reliable as Danault to become a top 6 center

12 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

This is very close to what I proposed 🤔

I hope KK clicks with Danault and Tatar. And KK please shoot the darn puck. 

22 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

They're still playing a RW on the LW (Perry) and once Armia returns, they'll have four full-time righties (plus Caufield waiting in the wings).  There's still a surplus although that's hardly a bad thing right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Tatar - Danault - Toffoli

Armia - Kotkaniemi - Anderson

Drouin - Suzuki - Perry

Byron - Staal - Evans

Load up the top three lines, give each line a bit of speed to keep the pace up, and put Staal and Evans together to alternate on strong side faceoffs. If Caufield is called up he's on the 4th line in place of Evans. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Drouin - Suzuki - Perry

Byron - Staal - Evans

Load up the top three lines, give each line a bit of speed to keep the pace up, and put Staal and Evans together to alternate on strong side faceoffs. If Caufield is called up he's on the 4th line in place of Evans. 

giphy.gif

I can see the logic and we need something new so let’s do it

7 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Drouin - Suzuki - Perry

Byron - Staal - Evans

giphy.gif

I like it, makes lots of sense

There are rumours that Toffoli and Drouin are playing injured. TVA had video on both at practice

If that is true, the lineup you propose may not happen to lessen the load on the injured players 

Oh, good. He will probably add some nice initial punch before tapering off. If we’re lucky, he will ride a wave of rookie enthusiasm clear into the playoffs, and we deal with the regression next season.

In two years many of the same fans clamouring for him to come up will be angrily denouncing the Habs for ruining his development. Oh well.

(This is not to say he *will* be ruined, only that it will probably take him 2-3 years to become the guy everyone thinks they’re getting right away - assuming he does become that guy).

1 minute ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Put Byron back on taxi

I know a guy who has a lead pipe who could, if asked, accidently tap Drouin, Byron, or Armia... on side of knee if need to open a roster spot. (Tonya Harding.com can help set it up) :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Oh, good. He will probably add some nice initial punch before tapering off. If we’re lucky, he will ride a wave of rookie enthusiasm clear into the playoffs, and we deal with the regression next season.

In two years many of the same fans clamouring for him to come up will be angrily denouncing the Habs for ruining his development. Oh well.

(This is not to say he *will* be ruined, only that it will probably take him 2-3 years to become the guy everyone thinks they’re getting right away - assuming he does become that guy).

With the rocket being off for so long, I’d rather have him (and Poehling up with the team. Have them practice with the team, let him get a taste and if he’s not ready, send them both back when the Rocket restart. Next year have them both re-earn their spots in training camp regardless how they do.

11 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Drouin - Suzuki - Perry

Byron - Staal - Evans

Not certain that is what "loading up" means ... other than Gallagher being out  it is the same mix that has been there most of the season, just another shuffle

13 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Not certain that is what "loading up" means ... other than Gallagher being out  it is the same mix that has been there most of the season, just another shuffle

Ah, next time I will create lines using players that don't even exist to avoid any semblance of a "shuffle."