New players means new lines - What would you do?

21 minutes ago, DON said:

Evans is playing well, but not sure i would play him over Kotkamiemi on 3rd line? Want Evans playing; but in Staal's spot instead. 3rd or 4th line centre, flip a coin between the 2 younger guys. 

I agree with you. 

I would sit Staal.

I'm not putting what I would do, but what I think these coaches are going to do. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

It means that Caufield is ahead of him.

Since my analysis was that the last wing spot comes down to Caufield vs Armia, I think my point stands. 

Was really only saying there really was no choice but for Frolik to sit, given that Caufield was (agreed) ahead of him for the regular season ... I have no fondness for Frolik, but would not be shocked if DD, MB et all favour veterans over youth to begin the playoffs ...  

17 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

TSN guys were saying Kulak should be playing in the playoffs and I most certainly agree (with Weber), do you agree Ducharme

What about Petry with Kulak and flip Edmondson to the right-side with Romanov ... doesn't address the mobility concerns of Weber-Chiarot but hopefully that is less evident in the "clutch&grab" playoffs ... and it could allow a more substantial role for the 3rd pairing ... Edmundson had said when signed that he was comfortable there. 

23 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

What about Petry with Kulak and flip Edmondson to the right-side with Romanov ... doesn't address the mobility concerns of Weber-Chiarot but hopefully that is less evident in the "clutch&grab" playoffs ... and it could allow a more substantial role for the 3rd pairing ... Edmundson had said when signed that he was comfortable there. 

While I consider Kulak to be a very good mobile Dman my motivation was to have speed and puck mobility paired with strength and punishment. 

Im good with your idea but I don’t think Weber Chairot will get it done. Leafs strike on anything so we need that puck out quickly 

37 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Can I big brain the defense pairings?

Edmundson with Petry

Merrill with Weber 

Kulak with Chiarot

8 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I would be good with this, swap out Merrill for Romanov possibly? 

IMO neither Merrill nor Romanov are the right match for the minutes that Weber will play ... and no way the Habs top TOI defenceman 5-on-5 will get dropped to the 3rd pairing

Just now, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Gustoffson?

NO ... I might even put Ouellet in before Gustafsson ... as I've suggested:

Weber-Chiarot (for whatever their faults, they are familiar with each other ... no time for a learning curve in the top 4)

Petry- Kulak (have successful history together)

Edmondson-Romanov (solid veteran to support the "kid")

However, I expect it will be the usual Weber-Chiarot and Petry-Edmundson pairings getting 75-80% of 5-on-5 icetime with the "scraps" going to some combination of Romanov-Kulak-Merrill.

I want to see what Eric "triple gold club" Staal can do for us in the playoffs. I could care less how terrible he played for Buffalo and us this year in the regular season 

6 hours ago, Commandant said:

Quite simply, Frolik has done nothing in his limited ice time this season to be worthy of a spot in a healthy lineup come playoff time.  I don't see this as being considered at all, especially since Ducharme was quick to put him back in the press box the moment that Byron became healthy.    The question is Armia or Caufield as the winger, Frolik isn't even in the discussion IMO.

I should have clarified - I wasn't suggesting Frolik would be in the mix but rather that type of line (with Armia in his spot from my original combos) was the style that Ducharme may like to see to start a series.

29 minutes ago, illWill said:

I want to see what Eric "triple gold club" Staal can do for us in the playoffs. I could care less how terrible he played for Buffalo and us this year in the regular season 

Id rather KK and Evans.  Staal's lack of speed gets exploited by Toronto.

You'd think with a name like "Frolik"... he'd be playing constantly. Or cavorting at least. Just thought I'd contribute some analysis here.... OK. I'll go away now. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Called it

Everyone did.  Staal was obviously going to get in ahead of the kids, performances be damned.  And we're still claiming that lineup choices are all 'hockey decisions'.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Today's lines:

:wall::scared::wall::scared::wall::scared::wall::scared::wall::scared::wall::scared::wall::scared::wall::scared:

Unbelievable to leave Caufield out of the lineup after what he brought to this team.   And what exactly did Staal do to earn a spot in this lineup. I guess Bergevin wants to be proven right about trading for him. 

48 minutes ago, Neech said:

Everyone did.  Staal was obviously going to get in ahead of the kids, performances be damned.  And we're still claiming that lineup choices are all 'hockey decisions'.

Look around the NHL, 80% of NHL head coaches (maybe more) play veterans cause they trust them over 20 year olds.  Yes this is a hockey decision.  Its a bad decision, but its still a hockey decision. 

Coaches don't want to lose cause someone made a rookie mistake. 

Staal won't make rookie mistakes. 

He'll be in the right position, will still lose his battle cause he's lost about 3 steps and physically isn't good enough to compete, but hey at least it wasn't a mental mistake that he made.

Its dumb, but its the way most coaches operate.  This isn't solely a feature of Ducharme.