Habs Extend Jake Allen

GHT120

21/22 & 22/23 @ $2.875M AAV

What does this mean for Primeau?

18 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

21/22 & 22/23 @ $2.875M AAV

What does this mean for Primeau?

It means he's going to get used to Laval.  He's waiver-exempt through 2022-23 which ties in with the length of this deal so if Allen plays it out, Primeau would then slide in as Price's backup.  On the other hand, Allen for under $3 million for a couple of years might be intriguing for Seattle next summer and if he was lost to the Kraken, then they'd keep their defence intact and have to go hunt for another backup (or promote Primeau) at that time.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

It means he's going to get used to Laval.  He's waiver-exempt through 2022-23 which ties in with the length of this deal so if Allen plays it out, Primeau would then slide in as Price's backup.  On the other hand, Allen for under $3 million for a couple of years might be intriguing for Seattle next summer and if he was lost to the Kraken, then they'd keep their defence intact and have to go hunt for another backup (or promote Primeau) at that time.

The possibility of Allen being the Seattle selection makes sense ... otherwise (to me) Primeau spending 20/21, 21/22 and 22/23 (a 4th season) risks Cayden getting frustrated and it impacting his development

11 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

The possibility of Allen being the Seattle selection makes sense ... otherwise (to me) Primeau spending 20/21, 21/22 and 22/23 (a 4th season) risks Cayden getting frustrated and it impacting his development

Even if he doesn't go to Seattle, if Primeau is ready, then trading Allen at this cap hit shouldn't be too difficult. 

• Upvote 1

A good move by Bergevin.  He could be picked up by Seattle, given that he would have 2 years left on his contract at the end this coming season. This secures our defense from losing a player.   If Seattle picks another player, he provides great backup to Price for a couple more years.  If Primeau is ready, Allen would be a good trade option with 2 years left on his agreement.  All good options for us.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Even if he doesn't go to Seattle, if Primeau is ready, then trading Allen at this cap hit shouldn't be too difficult. 

10 minutes ago, Blazer said:

A good move by Bergevin.  He could be picked up by Seattle, given that he would have 2 years left on his contract at the end this coming season. This secures our defense from losing a player.   If Seattle picks another player, he provides great backup to Price for a couple more years.  If Primeau is ready, Allen would be a good trade option with 2 years left on his agreement.  All good options for us.

Good points, like this move more now.

51 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Ya, this deal is so perfect that I feel like I'm missing something because SOMETHING has to be a risk, right?

Allen beats out Price, wins the Vezina and but the habs can't protect him the expansion draft because of Price's NMC, unless Carey wants to be exposed?

Kidding ... obviously

• Upvote 1

I think this signing has alot to do with Seattle. Also, I believe that if we need to trade Allen 12 or 18 months from now, at 2.75 million, it shouldn't be too difficult!

10 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

I think this signing has alot to do with Seattle. Also, I believe that if we need to trade Allen 12 or 18 months from now, at 2.75 million, it shouldn't be too difficult!

If Primeau works out, he will be an easy trade and we'll get back more assets than we paid for him. If Primeau doesn't, we can keep Allen for another year or two and have solid goaltending.

• 1 month later...

Thought occurred to me ... to really give Price more time off, if they can manage it under the salary cap review the Habs & Rockets schedules and find a few places where it is easy/convenient to call up Primeau (or his TBD back-up), start Allen and tell Carey to stay completely home ... depending on how the season goes maybe even spot Primeau a couple of games.

20 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Thought occurred to me ... to really give Price more time off, if they can manage it under the salary cap review the Habs & Rockets schedules and find a few places where it is easy/convenient to call up Primeau (or his TBD back-up), start Allen and tell Carey to stay completely home ... depending on how the season goes maybe even spot Primeau a couple of games.

They can barely carry 22 players as it is (they can afford a 13th forward as long as it's someone making the minimum salary).  Primeau is over $880,000 so it's not something they can afford cap-wise unless they want to go to carrying the minimum number of forwards and defencemen which is quite risky.  The idea is interesting but I don't think they'll be able to afford to spot start Primeau.