Are Gallagher and Danault expendable now with the depth?

Habsfan89

With Gallagher and Danault contract about to end depending on what they're asking for are they expandable?

Tatar 

Gallagher 

Danault 

Armia 

Weal 

Lehkonen 

Kotkaniemi 

All have contracts coming to an end. Then you have Suzuki Next year. I don't think Bergevin can sign everyone one.  I can see him not signing 

Tatar 

Weal 

Armia and lehkonen are borderline to resign or not.  He can also trade Byron and Kulak to free up more money.

But at what price do you walk away from Danault and/or Gallagher.  With the added depth on wing and at center their isn't a need to must sign them at any cost any more.

For me both players are 5-6mil dollar guys. If they're asking for more as much as I hate to see them go I would look at trading them.  Guess to it would also depend on what it's going to cost to re-up Kotkaniemi and Suzuki.

Man if we thought this off season was fun , next year could get crazy.

If I don't like the money they are asking for, they will need to be replaced. 

They are not expendable. 

This Habs team will thrive by having 3 or even 4 lines that can score.  It will be through depth that they win games. There is no true gamebreaker.  They need the depth.  Gallagher is a 30-35 goal guy

Also with the youth of Suzuki and KK, Danault, with his strong two-way play is an important security blanket. 

If they leave for money issues, they both need to be replaced. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

They are not expendable. 

This Habs team will thrive by having 3 or even 4 lines that can score.  It will be through depth that they win games. There is no true gamebreaker.  They need the depth.  Gallagher is a 30-35 goal guy

Also with the youth of Suzuki and KK, Danault, with his strong two-way play is an important security blanket. 

Yeah or should of used the word replaced. But it's the same as expandable. A few years ago you would have to give them what they wanted. But now I don't think that's the case. 

3 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Yeah or should of used the word replaced. But it's the same as expandable. A few years ago you would have to give them what they wanted. But now I don't think that's the case. 

Not quite the same. "Expendable" would mean "of little signficance" whereas "replaceable" means that we can find another player to take his role.

23 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

7 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Not quite the same. "Expendable" would mean "of little signficance" whereas "replaceable" means that we can find another player to take his role.

Indeed, semantics matter here.

Expandable versus expendable are both very different than replaceable.

Question is, if our current 30-35 goal scorer expects a certain dollar value that aligns with market value how do you expect to replace that Without paying a similar amount? 
to answer the original question, no Gallagher and Danault have not been made expendable, but like 99.9% of people they are replaceable.

But to replace a quality asset with an equally quality, yet cheaper asset is asking a lot of a manager.

14 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Every player in the NHL, even Connor McDavid is replaceable.  But with a guy like McDavid it might take more than one player coming back to replace him. 

Expendable in that they can be let go without getting replacements isnt the same thing. 

Danault is absolutely indispensable, because without him our C position would revert to being disastrous. Bad enough that we have only one experienced C; subtracting him would give us exactly zero.

Gallagher would leave a huge void, so the return on him would have to be considerable. Interestingly, sports radio in Van is aflame with Gallagher speculation...so obviously some folks, at least, think it's conceivable that he moves.

42 minutes ago, Commandant said:

They are not expendable. 

Question is do you let both of them and Tatar walk with no return like Columbus did when they went all in??

im not comfortable losing all three guys with zero return at the end of the year. I think a team like Edmonton would overpay for Gallagher, as would the canucks, if they had cap room or were willing to move Boeser.

I want Danault and Gallagher to stay and would only trade either one of them only if the contract demands were absurd. Danault is underrated and under valued and I think his comments were blown out of proportion. I can't imagine Danault not getting a deal where as I'm not sure with Gallagher.

Tatar is gone IMO - I hope we get an asset for him but if we head to the playoffs looking great then I guess we just let him walk.

15 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Danault is absolutely indispensable, because without him our C position would revert to being disastrous. Bad enough that we have only one experienced C; subtracting him would give us exactly zero.

Gallagher would leave a huge void, so the return on him would have to be considerable. Interestingly, sports radio in Van is aflame with Gallagher speculation...so obviously some folks, at least, think it's conceivable that he moves.

Yes, Gallagher is more easily replaceable. If we knew that he will not want to sign given our (new) constraints, we'd get the best return by trading in the next few months. We'd still get something at the trade deadline, and then nothing (or possibly next to nothing) at the UFA deadline.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Every player in the NHL, even Connor McDavid is replaceable ...

There is replaceable (e.g., McDavid) and REPLACEABLE (e.g., Jordan Weal)

😉

12 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

Price to Seattle? 

Well ... his in-laws live about 3.5-4 hours southeast of Seattle ... but it would have to be his decision since he has a NMC ... don't expect it would happen.

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Well ... his in-laws live about 3.5-4 hours southeast of Seattle ... but it would have to be his decision since he has a NMC ... don't expect it would happen.

So its not far also to his homevillage right?

In a perfect habsworld Price wins cup with us next year, Allen plays awesome and replace him. Primeau is superb in AHL.

Price leaves in exp draft and we can afford to keep the depth. 😊

One can hope right?

Just now, Dalhabs said:

So its not far also to his homevillage right?

In a perfect habsworld Price wins cup with us next year, Allen plays awesome and replace him. Primeau is superb in AHL.

Price leaves in exp draft and we can afford to keep the depth. 😊

One can hope right?

I buy lotto tickets ... so I guess

I have to say that I’m not sure if the media outlets are playing up the Gallagher situation or not. The conspiratorial me thinks they would enjoy dividing our team just when things are starting to look good.

That being said, I am a little disappointed in recent events because the only thing that Gally should be saying is:  

This is the best team on paper that I have been a part of in MTL. This is our chance to win it all and that’s the only thing that concerns me.

I'm pretty sure we could get Boeser from Van for Gally. Especially if we agree to eat one of their bad contracts.

Not saying to do it, just that it's realistic.

EDIT: sorry, wrote that before I saw the signing! It's a moot point now