6.5mil over 6 years for Gallagher

Habsfan89

10 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I think this opens the door to Danault and Tatar replaced by cheaper alternatives like Poehling Caufield Ylonen etc NEXT YEAR

You really can't replace Danault with a rookie. Sure, you could play a rookie but the rookie will not be able to do what Danault does.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

You really can't replace Danault with a rookie. Sure, you could play a rookie but the rookie will not be able to do what Danault does.

Agree, you need a little experience at centre with Suzuki and KK expected to play a lot next year. I don't think Danault is going anywhere unless he is making ridiculous salary demands. 

Seems like a fair number.  If Anderson got 5.5 then Gallagher is worth 1M more than that.  Danault has to be worth at least as much as Anderson too.

In 3 years we'll have a lot of money tied up in guys on the wrong side of 30, so the window is definitely now.  The squeeze will come in the next two offseasons with KK and then Suzuki and Romanov needing extensions.

Gally is the engine of this team and his work ethic must be contagious.  Here's hoping that he can stave off injuries and athletic decline for at least the first 3-4 years of this deal. 

12 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Im not saying its what I want... Im saying what is highly likely unless he's willing to sign for cheap.

Tatar is likely gone and replaced by either Ylonen Caufield Teasdale 

23 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Certainly not THIS season ... next season will depend on how KK. NS and PD all play this season ... 

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Like the $ (surprised it wasn’t higher), would have preferred 1 yr less on term.  I think we now have 3 or 4 players where the last ur or two may hurt. 
Does the 6 team NTC mean 6 teams he can be traded to, or can’t be trades to?

Six that he can block a trade to.

So happy this signing has been taken care of. As many have mentioned, Gallagher is the heart of this team. All the sacrifices he's done over the years for the Team, is why the Habs gave him the extra 500,000$ per year. (I thought he was worth about 6 million per year). Paying him 6.5 is a little more than what I expected, but if there's on guy who's worth it, it's Gally. I also love the fact that this isn't a 7 or 8 year term. I love Gally, but I have a feeling he might not be very usefull by the time he's 35 years old!

ON a different note, I have to give a two thumbs up to the work Bergevin has done this off-season. All of his signings were good and he addressed all the needs the Habs had! Well Done MB!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

Great term and cap hit...Glad he’s sticking around for awhile. Danault hopefully is next soon, and I’m hoping 5m/4 years or 4.5m/5 years. 

How does Danault get less than Drouin?

53 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Bergevin has done quite well in avoiding team-unfriendly NTCs. Much more flexibility for the team to make a move if necessary.

4 minutes ago, Neech said:

How does Danault get less than Drouin?

You can't judge Drouin's contract on his current performance. He is being paid on what he was expected to become, not what we have today.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Like the $ (surprised it wasn’t higher), would have preferred 1 yr less on term.  I think we now have 3 or 4 players where the last ur or two may hurt. 

A fair assessment

12 minutes ago, Chris said:

Drouin contract is one of the worst on the team period, regardless of what people think he will become, he is a floater and non factor 

Now that Alzner is gone, yes. But my point was that the Drouin contract is not a valid benchmark for Danault.

Great Deal. 

I don’t mean to sound harsh, but to those who are saying the deal is too long, well jeez, looks like we’re not allowed to have Habs lifers around  here anymore. 

Gallagher can retire a Hab for all I care.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Great Deal. 

I don’t mean to sound harsh, but to those who are saying the deal is too long, well jeez, looks like we’re not allowed to have Habs lifers around  here anymore. 

It's not that so much as the concern that his body will break down long before the deal expires, given how he plays.

But I'm not really complaining. Gally is not a superstar or anything, but he is a special player - universally admired and hated by opponents at the same time, and practically the Platonic Form of what you want in a player: reliably productive, always drives the net, always screens, always fearless, always aggravating, always the hardest-working man in show business. I remember when he first came up, being unable to believe how satisying his game was. None of this Drouin 'how is his state of mind tonight?' bullcrap. He is one of the most admirable players the Habs have had over, oh, the past three decades or so.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Great Deal. 

Of course we can have  lifers,  but not to the detriment to the team.  You can't  have a bunch of old guys with big contracts hanging on and enjoying their wonder years while younger guys need to get paid. In a non salary cap world it wouldn't matter. 

2 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I think this opens the door to Danault and Tatar replaced by cheaper alternatives like Poehling Caufield Ylonen etc NEXT YEAR

Nope. That is a recipe for disaster. You don’t spend decades trying to acquire / develop center depth and then squander it by gambling that a rookie is going to replace a player like Danault. I predict that he will be signed  to an extension soon...if Danault is traded in the near term, Bergevin and all of us fans will regret it.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Thanks - that’s not too bad than.