6.5mil over 6 years for Gallagher

Habsfan89

33 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Great Deal. 

I don’t mean to sound harsh, but to those who are saying the deal is too long, well jeez, looks like we’re not allowed to have Habs lifers around  here anymore. 

Gallagher can retire a Hab for all I care.

You can’t have as many in the cap world and the team getting younger.

besides, lafleur, savard. Robinson, shutt, lapointe, all hall of gamers from the 70’s dynasties. None of them retired as a hab.  

• Upvote 1

Very happy to read that he is signed. I would have hated to lose him. Once we have Danault signed we will have the core of the team to contend for the cup with Price and Weber.

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Danault is better than Drouin period, 

Drouin contract is one of the worst on the team period, regardless of what people think he will become, he is a floater and non factor 

I expect Drouin to do better now that we can count on Toffoli, Gallagher, Tatar and even Anderson to be counted to score more than him. He should have less coverage from other teams and should meet expectations of abount 25 g/season. He is oOverpaid for being the token local guy, but a decent middle 6 winger.

58 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Of course we can have  lifers,  but not to the detriment to the team.  You can't  have a bunch of old guys with big contracts hanging on and enjoying their wonder years while younger guys need to get paid. In a non salary cap world it wouldn't matter. 

Every team has contracts that seem a year or two too long. 

You would pay more AAV if you wanted a 3 year or 4 year deal. 

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Every team has contracts that seem a year or two too long. 

You would pay more AAV if you wanted a 3 year or 4 year deal. 

True, every team does, you just can't have too many.

I agree that a shorter deal would likely have had a higher AAV.  I am very glad Gally is sticking around, I was just worried that the contract would have been way too long (ie. 8 years) or that no contract would have been signed and it would have been a distraction this year. 

Love it, The cap hit is good, there is some risk in the term of course, but I love the player, love what he brings, the intangibles, the 5 on 5 stats, the advanced stats, the train engine mentality.

I am so glad Gally has been signed.  I was definitely worried that he'd be gone, and everybody is in agreement and didnt want that.  I was also worried that it could turn into Paccioretty 2.0.

6 hours ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Love Gallagher, but too much.

I agree.  However, although the $ in this contract is a bit high, if you take into consideration what he got in his last contract and average it out with this new contract it works out to being reasonable.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:
5 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Like the $ (surprised it wasn’t higher), would have preferred 1 yr less on term.  I think we now have 3 or 4 players where the last ur or two may hurt. 

A fair assessment

It is, but it's more like 5 players.  Price, Weber, Petry, Anderson, and now Gally are now under contract until their mid 30's. 

edit:  more like 6, I forgot Byron. 

7 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

besides, lafleur, savard. Robinson, shutt, lapointe, all hall of gamers from the 70’s dynasties. None of them retired as a hab.  

7 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I expect the last two were Gainey and ... Beliveau?

Believeau, Henri Richard, Cournoyer, Gainey and Markov -  in that order as far as I can recall.

roy, Chelios and koivu should have been on that list.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

Gainey and H Richard 

Your forgetting the road runner - the guy who won 10 cups.  Markov also finished his NHL career in Montreal and had 15+ seasons 

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Your forgetting the road runner - the guy who won 10 cups.  Markov also finished his NHL career in Montreal and had 15+ seasons 

So, Markov and Gainey are the last two. Then Cornoyer, Beliveau and Richard.

1 hour ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

I’m usually good with old Habs trivia. Did the roadrunner win the 10 cups or H Richard? I thought it was Richard 

Richard had 11.

Beliveau and Cournoyer each had 10 as players

4 hours ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

I’m usually good with old Habs trivia. Did the roadrunner win the 10 cups or H Richard? I thought it was Richard 

Richard actually had 11. No ones going to touch the old habs from the 50,60’s and 70’s dynasties.

now we are just happy to be a playoff team.

2 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Richard actually had 11. No ones going to touch the old habs from the 50,60’s and 70’s dynasties.

now we are just happy to be a playoff team.

You say that as if it is only reflective of the Habs and not the change in the NHL in general. 

Cause we have the blackhawks win 3 cups in the last decade and people are calling that a dynasty and now they are rebuilding and should be shit next year. 

No team is able to put up a player with 6, 7, 8 cups in his career any more.

35 minutes ago, Commandant said:

You say that as if it is only reflective of the Habs and not the change in the NHL in general. 

Cause we have the blackhawks win 3 cups in the last decade and people are calling that a dynasty and now they are rebuilding and should be shit next year. 

Very true. However, the Habs have been overwhelmingly mediocre for almost three decades. We had a legitimate contender for maybe two of the years since 1996. That's what has driven me crazy...I have no expectation of multiple Cups, but I do have an expectation that the team builds a bona-fide, high-end contender that has a real shot over a number of years. The Houle rebuild was a catastrophe of historic proportions. The Gainey rebuild was merely a failure. So that's 15 years of haplessness right there. The second Gainey rebuild gave us a Cinderella run in 2010 and resulted in the only team that could be considered the Real Thing, the 2014/15 group. That's well short of a "sustained run" of excellence. Other franchises can do it, there is no excuse for the Habs being semi-garbage for a quarter-century.

46 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I did say no one is going to touch the old habs again.  

And no, I don’t expect the habs to win the cup every year.  But I certainly don’t want a team that misses the playoffs 4 out 5 years (3 if you are picky about getting in as a COVID tv add on).

I do expect a team that consistently makes the playoffs and has a realistic chance of winning.  I expect a Mgmt team that doesn’t decide in December to call it a season when there number 1 goalie gets hurt.  I expect management not to make trades based on how they think a player should act, or didn’t act and puts winning first.   You may be good with getting in every now and than, or missing the playoffs every couple of years, or being mediocre for over two decades, I’m not.

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Very true. However, the Habs have been overwhelmingly mediocre for almost three decades. We had a legitimate contender for maybe two of the years since 1996. That's what has driven me crazy...I have no expectation of multiple Cups, but I do have an expectation that the team builds a bona-fide, high-end contender that has a real shot over a number of years. The Houle rebuild was a catastrophe of historic proportions. The Gainey rebuild was merely a failure. So that's 15 years of haplessness right there. The second Gainey rebuild gave us a Cinderella run in 2010 and resulted in the only team that could be considered the Real Thing, the 2014/15 group. That's well short of a "sustained run" of excellence. Other franchises can do it, there is no excuse for the Habs being semi-garbage for a quarter-century.

100% agree.  How many GM’s get 8 years to figure out how to do the job, when the team was progressively getting worse?

2 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

100% agree.  How many GM’s get 8 years to figure out how to do the job, when the team was progressively getting worse?

Well, the good news is that - after years of ignoring problems, or conspicuously failing to address them even as he busily "solves" non-problems, he has FINALLY stepped up with a high-impact off-season that clearly leaves the team significantly improved. Better late than never.