6.5mil over 6 years for Gallagher

Habsfan89

5 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Theres no way Armia wont be on the 4th line.  Who would bump Armia to 4th line?   You'd play Byron 3rd line over Armia?.

I would play Gallagher, Toffoli and Anderson ahead of Armia

And I would play Byron ( if healthy) ahead of Lehkonen, Evans and Poehling

11 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Likely either Toffoli or Armia, who are both capable of playing on the left side.

I thought Toffoli basically sounded like "I guess I could try LW" when asked.

1 hour ago, DON said:

I thought Toffoli basically sounded like "I guess I could try LW" when asked.

A quote from Toffoli, from many years ago:

“I played [left wing] a couple of times in junior, and I played a couple of games here,” Toffoli noted. “I don’t really see a huge difference. You’ve just got to take pucks on your backhand, and be strong on your stick. We’ll see what happens in [training] camp.”

Yeah, well...if we hired Toffoli to play RW then the move doesn't make a ton of sense. Basically this team with Toffoli at RW is like a Cup champ all the way down the right side of the lineup (including D) and a last-overall team down the left side (including D). We might be icing the most structurally lopsided roster in the league. And if I'm an opposition coach, I tell my guys 'play the whole game on the left side of the ice.'

I'm a bit concerned that MB got a good deal from his buddy Brisson and just went for it, rather than strategically addressing a roster hole. We'll see what Julien makes of this.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

I have to believe that Bergevin (and Julien) had figured out the RW/LW plan before any offer was sent to Toffoli.

Seems they misjudged trying Drouin at C & Domi at W, but maybe 3rd time a charm and he will do fine at LW, if that is the plan?

3 hours ago, DON said:

Seems they misjudged trying Drouin at C & Domi at W, but maybe 3rd time a charm and he will do fine at LW, if that is the plan?

Where did the idea that Domi can't or doesn't want to play wing come from? He played wing throughout his junior career and only started playing center with any regularity at the NHL level. Yes, he produced better for us at center, but it's not like playing wing was some kind of new experiment for him.

11 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Where did the idea that Domi can't or doesn't want to play wing come from? He played wing throughout his junior career and only started playing center with any regularity at the NHL level. Yes, he produced better for us at center, but it's not like playing wing was some kind of new experiment for him.

Don't think anybody said can't ... just that all the reporting since his acquisition from Arizona was that he preferred playing centre to the wing ... he didn't seem happy when briefly switched to the wing last season ... think it may have been particularly galling to apparently be beaten out by a rookie

Domi faceoffs

18-19 996 faceoffs, 12.1/gm

19-20 788 faceoffs, 11.0/gm

I had assumed bigger difference than that. Not that playing wing or centre wasnt a big issue in trade.

I have consistently brought this up. People seemed to have associated something like Domi slamming a bench door as hard as he could after a shift at wing, with being upset in general at the thought of playing wing.

It’s possible it’s true, and if it is, then that’s a direct reason that he should have been traded, for acting like a prima donna. With that being said, there seems to be very few accounts of that actually being the truth.

He has already openly said since being acquired by Columbus that he prefers center, but will certainly adapt to playing wing if that’s where the bench boss needs him. Of course one could reply “what else is he going to say?”, but in this circumstance, I don’t have any real reason not to believe him and don’t see why it would have not been the general sentiment here as well.

There’s a distinct difference between prefering center and going out of your way to pout and give less effort simply because you’re playing there. Heck, perhaps Domi is just a better center and so that’s the only reason he looks “out of sorts mentally“ when playing wing. 

40 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

He has already openly said since being acquired by Columbus that he prefers center, but will certainly adapt to playing wing if that’s where the bench boss needs him. Of course one could reply “what else is he going to say?”, but in this circumstance, I don’t have any real reason not to believe him and don’t see why it would have not been the general sentiment here as well.

I listened to his first interview on Columbus sports radio and he was specifically asked what he thinks about slotting in as the #2 center behind PLD. He brought up the fact that he came up as a winger and didn't have a big preference. Sure, that's largely player speak, but a guy who supposedly is unhappy at wing would have kept his answer more generic than going out of his way to say he's comfortable at wing.

We don't really know what happened in the Habs dressing room, or one-on-one with Julien. So until someone writes a tell-all book we'll just be guessing about exactly what happened between the two.

I don't have the link, unfortunately, but I remember reading an analysis which showed that Domi at C is much more effective/productive than Domi at W. Of course, that may have been written after his 72-point outlier season. In fact, apart from that one season, he has not been exceptionally productive, period: a 50-point guy with defensive holes.

19 hours ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

Regardless on where Toffoli plays right or left, there’s no way we don’t pull the trigger on this deal. 

Absolutely, 4.25 m/year for a proven goal scorer in his prime years.  He had to pull the trigger on this one. 

22 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm a bit concerned that MB got a good deal from his buddy Brisson and just went for it, rather than strategically addressing a roster hole. We'll see what Julien makes of this.

What roster hole were you thinking of specifically and who was available to address it keeping in mind cap limitations. 

13 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

What roster hole were you thinking of specifically and who was available to address it keeping in mind cap limitations. 

General weakness down the left side.

I don't know which UFA would fit, but signing guys just because is not the way to go. 

On 10/16/2020 at 5:53 AM, hockeyrealist said:

This isn’t even the correct thread for this whiner opinion, gotta complain about something.

As if you have near the breadth of knowledge or research as the management team that does this for a living.

There is next to no concern about Anderson’s health and he provides exactly what Habs have been desperately missing.

The guys has wheel and can straight up beat goalies off the rush or in close, get off the negative nelly hormones or at least use the right thread to spew your negative bs. All kinds of league professionals see Anderson signing as a good move, but let’s stop and listen to some schmo who wants to shit on anything apparently.

Must suck to not even find joy in the Habs  moves this past month, feel bad for ya.

In 8 years here, ive never seen a move by Bergevin that H29 doesnt shit on.

Its fine though, if the Habs are winning, he disappears.  But if they have a losing streak hes in every thread.  Thats why i just have him on ignore.

25 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

General weakness down the left side.

I don't know which UFA would fit, but signing guys just because is not the way to go. 

A competent (or even a semi-competent) NHL GM will surely not sign players just because they are available. I would expect the GM/AGM team to work continuously with the coach(ing team) in order to assess needs and fit, even if the GM will make the final decisions on UFA signings, trades and drafting.

5 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

A competent (or even a semi-competent) NHL GM will surely not sign players just because they are available. I would expect the GM/AGM team to work continuously with the coach(ing team) in order to assess needs and fit, even if the GM will make the final decisions on UFA signings, trades and drafting.

You'd think. And that's what's giving me a lingering concern about this...I don't see over-investing in RW as a wise play in a cap system. But if Toffoli can play up to his established standards while being used at LW then this is a terrific signing.

So, best case? Toffoli plays LW, is effective, all is well. 

Worst case, the Habs have a revolving door of unhappy RW being experimented with on the left side, even as the fans start chewing tinfoil over Drouin's inconsistency.

This is the same GM who acquired Drouin to be a #1C, so there is ground for doubt as to whether his reading of positional fit is all that impeccable. 

21 hours ago, Fanpuck33 said:

I listened to his first interview on Columbus sports radio and he was specifically asked what he thinks about slotting in as the #2 center behind PLD. He brought up the fact that he came up as a winger and didn't have a big preference. Sure, that's largely player speak, but a guy who supposedly is unhappy at wing would have kept his answer more generic than going out of his way to say he's comfortable at wing.

I am on your side of the debate when it comes to being overblown as to whether or not Domi can play wing successfully and with enthusiasm. 

With that being said, what I heard him say is that he prefers center but is willing to play wing, which in a sense is a generic answer. I simply believe him. 

Domi said he was happy to hear the Blue Jackets plan to play him at center, which is his preference.

"Yeah. That's for sure. I love playing in the middle of the ice," he said. "I believe that's where I stand. That being said, if I was to become a wing for whatever situation or whatever reason, I'm sure I would make that work as well. I've played both positions, all three for that matter, so whatever [Tortorella] is expecting of me. As far as I know, I'll be starting off in the middle, which is super-exciting for me, and I'll be getting to play with some pretty crafty players up front too. So that's really exciting for me."

https://www.nhl.com/news/max-domi-traded-to-columbus-from-montreal/c-319318774

59 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I am on your side of the debate when it comes to being overblown as to whether or not Domi can play wing successfully and with enthusiasm. 

With that being said, what I heard him say is that he prefers center but is willing to play wing, which in a sense is a generic answer. I simply believe him ...

Fair enough ... only time will tell, **if** Torts makes him a winger ... if he plays centre, then the question of his willingness to play, or unhappiness about playing, wing is moot.

21 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Fair enough ... only time will tell, **if** Torts makes him a winger ... if he plays centre, then the question of his willingness to play, or unhappiness about playing, wing is moot.

And it will be a moot point. There is a 100% chance he plays center in Columbus.

8 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

And it will be a moot point. There is a 100% chance he plays center in Columbus.

I agree with you and I am the Domi supporter but the one negative about his game that seems to be backed up analytically is his lack of defensive ability. How that translates into being a center long term has still yet to be determined.   Columbus needs him to be that center, however the Habs have found themselves in that situation before as well, and it never necessarily meant that the player would remain in that role. 

I am optimistic about Domi in general, but I’d say while the chance he spends a good chunk of time at center over the next two years is over 50%, it’s far from 100%. Short term, it is 100%.