No F1 race in Montreal

Habs77

So the rumors were true... and it's a shame.

I don't care about the sport itself but the economic impact, including the visibility of the city on the international stage, will be taking a BIG hit.

Losing the Expos, and the F1 race in succession will be a huge blow... the city will be losing face big time.

Fact is F1 can afford to push us around, we have a 30M population... a drop in the bucket in terms of a consumer base.

We want to take a stand against the cigarette companies, it's gonna cost us.

Frankly I think banning cigarette marketing is stupid, either outlaw cigarettes completely or shut the f*ck up.

This stupid push to ban cigarette advertising accomplishes nothing except good PR, but will hurt a lot of innocent people.

Ahhh this is horrible news. The only remaining hope we have is that it might not be FINAL yet , F1 releases their final schedule in October , so things can change between now and then.

I hope that the govenment makes a change to the law that allows this race to use tobacco sponsership (Its only one race anyways...)

It's kinda stupid to ban Tobacco ads IMO. If they are going to ban tobacco ads then they should ban cigarettes (not going to happen.) Just leave the ads the way they are, who cares about seeing Marlboro whiz by on a ferrari. The Government put a huge amount of money into the SARS party in Toronto, now they are getting rid of one of Montreal's largest tourist attractions.

Originally posted by Quebecois

The Government put a huge amount of money into the SARS party in Toronto, now they are getting rid of one of Montreal's largest tourist attractions.

If the F1 race was in Toronto, believe me they'd find a way to keep it no matter what.

But this race being in Montreal... I don't hold out much hope of them doing much.

This city's image is taking a big hit of late... we're pathetic.

Well, now Ecclestone is denying that the race is dead. It would seem rather contradictory for them to drop a race in North America, when it seemed they wanted to increase interest in the sport on this side of the pond. Who knows...it would be a huge shame to lose this race, though. (Even if the last one I was at was '79 when Alan Jones won.)