Matt Shasby

montreal

I had a chance to interview him for HF, here's the article,

A Conversation with Matt Shasby

By Dan Linn

The Habs selected Shasby 150th overall in the ’99 draft, after a solid year in the USHL with Des Moines of the USHL before he set off for the University of Alaska-Anchorage. I had a chance to talk to the former captain of the Seawolves, about his recent time at the Habs development camp, his 4 years playing in the WCHA, and being drafted by the storied franchise.

Q: What was the atmosphere like at the recent developmental camp compared with last years camp?

A: Good. More relaxed, and focused on developing the player, while bonding with teammates.

Q: Who was your roommate?

A: Oskari Korpikari. He is an interesting player that showed good skills.

Q: How did your two years in the USHL help prepare you for the NCAA?

A: As an 18 year old, you learn maturity, playing against 18-20 year olds in one of the top development leagues in the United States. It gets you ready to play at a higher level.

Q: You stayed in the NCAA for all four years, do you feel it benefits players more to stay the entire time, or leave early if the opportunity presents itself?

A: In looking at Higgins, Komisarek and Hainsey, they have the talent to be sure fire NHLers, so they are just going on to the next level to develop further. It’s a case-by-case basis.

Q: What do you think you can bring to the Canadiens organization?

A: Offense and solid defensively. Puck moving, mobility and a team player above all else. A team first player, I just love to be on a team. Look at New Jersey, with the team approach they use, and it’s worked well for them.

Q: After such a strong junior year, where you disappointed in your senior year?

A: It was a rough season. Frustrating to say the least. It started off ok, but after Christmas break, and the broken foot, things didn’t go as well. It was a weird season that went by like a blur.

Q: Coach Hill was quoted in the teams media guide this season, as saying he wanted to add some depth on defense to cut back your time some, as you were playing over 30 minutes a game on average, so you would be fresher and could work on your defensive game. Did you feel you were overworked by logging so many minutes?

A: No, I didn’t need my time cut back, I felt fine.

Q: And lastly, back in ’99 what where your first thoughts on being drafted by the Montreal Canadiens?

A: I was overwhelmed to be drafted by such a great organization. I didn’t expect to be drafted by them, being on the other side of the country. I was following the draft on the internet, and saw MTL next to my name, and I didn’t know who that was. I had no idea they were interested. But everyone in the organization has been great so far.

Well that’s it, thanks Matt for taking the time to speak to me.

Matt Shasby: No problem.

Originally posted by Habs77

Thanks montreal... or Dan   :)

When does Shasby have to be signed before we lose our rights on him again?

P.S. And about your offer to help prospect-wise for the upcoming website... that would be great.

In Shasby's case time is not the issue. We have until next summer to sign him or he will be a UFA. But if he is not signed before the season starts (less then 60 days for Hamilton) then he has no team to play for, as he is done with his NCAA career.

As for helping this site, whatever I can do, I'd be glad to help.