White Sox win!!

Mont Royale

Originally posted by simonus

no, the cubs and leafs will never win.

Here's to a Yankee Curse.

i'm not one to rejoice in the bad stuff that happens to others but, in this case, I come close to it.

For the Yankees to be eliminated, for me again, the world is turning as it should...:D:D:D:D

It's funny

NYY and TML fans claim they're sooooooooooo popular. Well I know more Yankee haters and Leaf haters than I do Yankee fans and Leaf fans.

I'd like to know where these "hardcore" fans live cuz it's not around me... and don't forget I live in the heart of Leaf nation.

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

It's funny

NYY and TML fans claim they're sooooooooooo popular. Well I know more Yankee haters and Leaf haters than I do Yankee fans and Leaf fans.

I'd like to know where these "hardcore" fans live cuz it's not around me... and don't forget I live in the heart of Leaf nation.

Maybe you don't know many Leaf fans because you choose your friends wisely.:lol:

I live close to Toronto, and know way too many Leafs fans. Time to move.

Anyway, I've always thought that NYY and Montreal Canadiens fans have something in common, much more so than NYY/TML fans. There's a lot of people who hate the Yankees (most on this board, it seems), and quite a few feel the same way about the Habs. The reason? Success. Historically, the two teams are dramatically more successful than any other in the sport. This breeds resentment (jealousy, actually) among fans of every other team. (I'll look forward to the responses to that statement!)

The Habs inspire less hate than the Yankees, because the hype machine surrounding them is much smaller... but it's there.

The Leafs are different. People hate them because of the hype and hysteria of their fans more than anything, which is completely inconsistent with their lack of success for the last 38 years.

So I guess my thesis is: hype breeds hate. If you beat someone over the head long enough, they ain't gonna like it.

I think your absolutely correct there Royale. Thats just the way it is, some kind of jealousy. But instead of most members here, i like the Yankees. Don't have a real reason, i'm not a big Baseball fan, so it doesnt say much. But my preference are the Yankees.

I love Hockey, but i am not that interested in the other big North American sports. I follow it, but not as close as Hockey!

Originally posted by Mont Royale
Originally posted by Leafs Suck

It's funny

Maybe you don't know many Leaf fans because you choose your friends wisely.:lol:

I live close to Toronto, and know way too many Leafs fans. Time to move.

Anyway, I've always thought that NYY and Montreal Canadiens fans have something in common, much more so than NYY/TML fans. There's a lot of people who hate the Yankees (most on this board, it seems), and quite a few feel the same way about the Habs. The reason? Success. Historically, the two teams are dramatically more successful than any other in the sport. This breeds resentment (jealousy, actually) among fans of every other team. (I'll look forward to the responses to that statement!)

The Habs inspire less hate than the Yankees, because the hype machine surrounding them is much smaller... but it's there.

The Leafs are different. People hate them because of the hype and hysteria of their fans more than anything, which is completely inconsistent with their lack of success for the last 38 years.

So I guess my thesis is: hype breeds hate. If you beat someone over the head long enough, they ain't gonna like it.

I couldn't agree more. I know even now with the currently successful teams, there is a lot of hate. Going through forums that are there for all NHL fans, there is a ton of hate for teams like the Red Wings, Stars (not so much) and yes, the Avalanche. And I've heard many reasonings as to why the Avalanche are hated and thats because Denver was handed a winning team. Now that doesn't matter to me considering I live in Calgary anyway but it relates to your thesis. Also a Red Sox fan and I think the same can be said there. Most people who aren't a Yankees or Red Sox fan just hate both teams. Excellent point.

Originally posted by simonus

yeah, but I know more people that hate the Yankees than I know who care about the Reds. People want to know about the Yankees, even if they want to know they suck.

By the way, I don't hate the Yankees. When I was younger, I 'dreamed' of being a Yankee. To be in the same 'room' as Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris, Bobby Richardson, Joe Pepitone, Tom Tresh, Whitey Ford,etc. They were a class organization.

Today's team has players that I really appreciate. Derek Jeter is a super player. The player on that team that I respect the most is Bernie Williams. I see him as a consumate 'professional'. He quietly, efficiently, unassumadly comes to do what he's to do. He's not a prima donna. For me, that's important. He's a Joe Carter kind of player.

What I dislike about the Yankees is not so much the players, although there are players that I find dislikeable, it's the attitude that 'leads' George Steinbrenner to actually spend three times the average salary base of MLB on his own team. Yes, he has the right to do that but I find it morally objectionable that he does it.

Just like with the Rangers, there's a justifiable correctness to appreciate the fact that such audacity meets with disaster.

I don't rejoice in the defeat of the Yankees, I rejoice in the fact that such foolishness meets it's appropriate end.

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

[Edited on 2005/10/29 by shortcat1]