How did u become a habs fan!?

Haboholic

im just curious as to how ppl all became habs fans around here, this might of been posted already so sorry if it has, but i would just like to know.

personally... i live in montreal, so that helps. but since i was a kid my dad and brother were big habs fans, and when i was around 8 years old i saw the habs win the cup in 1993. and ever since then ive become a bigger and bigger habs fan! and im lovin' it!

so how did u become a habs fan?

That was a looooooooonnnnnnng time ago, child.

At 10 years of age, I wasn't even interested in hockey when one May, my grandfather and my dad were watching a game on TV. I guess they were likely quite excited so I came over to them to see what was going on. During this game, the announcers were talking about this Rocket guy over and over again so I must have asked my dad and grand-father who this Rocket guy was.

I don't remember the response but what I watched was, in fact, the last game of the 1960 Stanley Cup finals and also the last professional game Rocket Richard ever played.

Slowly, from there, my interest grew in hockey but it was always from the perspective of the Canadiens. There were still guys like Jean Beliveau, Bernard Geffrion, Jacques Plante and others who were there.

Since then, I've been faithful, through the highs and lows, to the Canadiens. :D:D:D

I wasn't a Habs fan growing up. To be perfectly honest, I HATED them. Not really even sure why. I distinctly remember rooting for the Flames in the '89 Finals (I hope you can all forgive me). But then I moved to Montreal in '00... and completely fell in love with the city and everything associated with it. What really converted me to the Habs' cause was the 01-02 season - José's Hart Trophy year, Saku coming back from cancer, the surreal upset of Boston in the first round. I had seats behind the net when José made that unbelievable blocker save off of Murray (or was it Guerin?) in Game 6...

And now I'm hooked. I guess I'm a relative newcomer to the cause, but I'm desperately trying to make up for lost time!

Started when I was really young (6 or 7 years old). While looking at the :hlogo: on its end, it looked like a goalie mask. Then in 1986 I was playing goaling for my novice team. Patrick Roy was my hero after that. I have never looked back, nor have I wanted to cheer for anybody else, except who ever plays the Leafs.:lol:

:ghg:

I was watching a habs game where Steve Penny was standing on his head. I was so excited to watch the saves this guy was making I wanted to see more.

I kept watching to see Penny stand on his head again and fell in love with the team.

(even after realizing that Penny actually sucked)

:hlogo:

I was born just outside of Montreal, and although I only lived there for about five years, that was enough for me to soak up all the tradition and develop a lifelong loyalty to the Habs.

I was born and spent my elementary years in montreal. I guess I was always a habs fan, but I didnt start to get serious about it until probably 1997-8 (although I definitely remember the '93 run). My hockey friends have been blues, bruins, blackhawks, and redwings fans, so I've always been a bit of the odd man out. That being said, I've made some habs converts in my days - always had HNIC parties when I could get centre ice and most people undersand pretty instinctively to hate the leafs (was relieved to find this out).

Around 2000 I finally came back to baseball after my Expos malaise started to wear off. Baseball (especially when hanging out with a bunch of collegiate RedSox nuts) is an incredibly stats based game, thats where its beauty becomes evident. Along with influence from my comp sci courses, I really started getting into the statistical side of hockey and found a whole new level of obsession. I really have come to be obsessed with finding new and meaningful metrics to quantify value in the game.

Okay, a little off-track, but thats my little hockey bio.

isn't everyone a habs fan?

i can't remember, but i'm sure it has something to do with ken dryden. I recall some kid in a bruin shirt trash talking around 1971 (we didn't call it trash talking then, but that's what he was doing).

born and raised outside of mtl. hockey was always on on saturdays. there were only bruins fan in my familly except for me and my grandma(who died in the morning of june 9th 1993)

habs are #1 and will ever be. no team has such an aura

My father grew up in Montreal, as a die-hard Habs fan, though I grew up in Nova Scotia. When I went to get my first set of hockey gear as a 4-year old, all the rage was the upstart Edmonton Oilers and Wayne Gretzky. So, I pointed out the jersey I wanted (Oilers), and my father said, simply "No, you're getting this one..."

I've been wearing a habs sweater since, and I'm 28 now...

My father worked for swissair (grounded a few years ago), so I had the opportunity to get some cheap flights all around the world. My girlfriend had the idea to visit montreal a few years ago, I was excited.

Arrived at Dorval airport, the first thing I wanted to see was the bell centre :lol: and fortunately, it was a habs game the same evening;). My girlfriend wasn't very happy about that, but we both enjoyed the game.... and since that evening, I'm a habsfan for life! :hlogo: I'm often listening radio when the habs are playing and thats from 1am - 4am in switzerland-time. :eyes:...

Montreal is my favourite city in NA, and I've been in montreal now for three times. Maybe, in march 2006, I'll travel to montreal to see the habs!

Greetz Swiss-Habsfan

i dont know exactly how it happened and if it ever actually did, i think i might have been born a habs fan because everyone else in my family cheers for the leafs. i remember hearing on the playground about a young goalie named patrick roy, i was about 9 at the time. the conversation started about the wayne gretzky trade, this is one of the first times i remember actually saying i was a habs fan.

i think maybe it was my habs practice jersey from my minor hockey days, of which i still have the patch sitting right in front of me. maybe that started me as a habs fan but following them and calgary battle for first overall and then the stanley cup in '89. after this is i was a tried and true habs fan to the end.

the '93 cup run gave me a chance to experience the magic of the habs of yesteryear with a winking saint patrick leading the way to ten straight overtime victories. this really was magic. after they traded roy it was never quite the same until the '02 season. now its a new team, built from this year forward that has me loving the habs as much as the days of naslund and chelios, muller and desjardins...........anyways this is a rant now but i know what has restored the pride to the ch, it is the return to the helm of one of its greatest sons: bob gainey.

vive le bleu, blanc et rouge!!!!!!!!:hlogo:

My step father was a huge habs fan and was from hull and my mom is to but moved here and my step dad brought me to a habs game when i was 5 to sabers and habs game and that how i became hooked everything in my room is habs.

Don't really have a choice when the whole family are Habs freaks and that you're raised, fed and brainwashed Habs all your life.

I have a picture of me at my 1st birthday with my first Habs t-shirt as a gift.

Also, being raised, fed and brainwashed Habs all my life also comes with being raised, fed and brainwashed a Maple Laughs hater !!!!

God I love my family for teaching me the good and proper values of life !!!!

Growing up in Newfoundland, You were either a Habs fan or a Leafs fan. Thank Gawd my father was a habs fan and passed it down to me. In the earlier years, a lot of Newfoundlanders liked Detroit. My Grandfather and older uncles were Detroit fans.

As I look back, I see some great moments that I have watched that have made liking the Habs more memorable. Some of these high lites were...

1971 play-offs...no one was going to defeat the Bruins.

1975 New Years Eva Game against the Russians...3-3

1986 Stanley Cup...I can't believe Edmonton wasn't there...poor Steve Smith

1993 Stanley Cup...Down 1 game to 0 and losing in game 2 until Marty McSorley came along.

Standing ovation for the Rocket at center Ice. It must have been a couple hours...seemed like it. I almost cried myself...ha!

Koivu's return

and many others.

Originally posted by Komisarek the Cruncher

Don't really have a choice when the whole family are Habs freaks and that you're raised, fed and brainwashed Habs all your life.

I have a picture of me at my 1st birthday with my first Habs t-shirt as a gift.

Also, being raised, fed and brainwashed Habs all my life also comes with being raised, fed and brainwashed a Maple Laughs hater !!!!

God I love my family for teaching me the good and proper values of life !!!!

Those are great memories! I have pictures of me in a Habs jersey at a tender age, and have the same of my son. The good and proper values of life, indeed!

I started my hockey career with a team called RA73. It stands for Rosersberg-Arlanda formed in 1973. Arlanda is Stockholms international airport by the way, and that why they are called the Wings nowadays...

Anyway, there was a great player in the senior team called Patric Kjellberg. And one day he left RA73 for AIK. The team that my family and I had cheered for since the begining of time. He did okay the first year and was later drafted by the Montreal Canadiens. That year AIK had Michael Nylander, Dick Tärnström, Niclas Hävelid, Börje Salming and Patric Kjellberg. A great team!

Coinsidence that I always used the Montreal team when I was playing "Blades of steel" on my Nintendo...

In 1992 Kjellberg went to North America and I became a full Montreal Canadiens fan.

Kjellberg returned to Sweden and AIK worst rival Djurgården. I couldn't stand it. My favourite player with the team a hated!

Funny thing is: Arlanda Wings is now the "farm" for Djurgården. And Djurgården have a program with the Montreal Canadiens. That's why Theodore played for them last season. And I have also played one year with Djurgården. My last season as an active. But thanks Kjellberg that you made me a habs-fan!

Like Grandfather, like father, like son. Raised with pops cheering and cursing in French watching the Habs on his hockey nights. He was perfectly assimilated to my mom's English ways except on hockey night in Canada.

Didn't really make the solid connection until I became a somewhat good hockey player myself (for my age of 8 years). Then every jersey I wore had a corresponding Habs player to match it in my dad's eyes. Number 9 was the one that stuck.

Oh yeah, I was also born in Montreal and have a lot of great childhood memories there.

There was never a question to my loyalty to the Habs. Any team I ever cheered after Montreal was a distant second and would be dropped in a heart beat if the two came in competition. That's why my second was always Vancouver because they were the furthest Canadian team from Montreal.

I only had a second team to get me through the dark years and Vancouver never faired much better during those times. Never quit being a Habs fan but I did get sick of hockey for a while.

[Edited on 2005/10/28 by Lister110]

Been a fan since 1973 or so when I was 7 years old and I read about a guy named Cournoyer who was a star for Les Habitants. I couldn't pronounce his name at all until I asked my 3rd grade French teacher how to pronounce it. I was and probably still am the only Canadiens fan that lives in Hawaii.