Game Thread | Rangers vs. Canadiens | 10/29/05

Spider-Man NL

I don't know what you're complaining about. The Habs have a decent defence corps at worst. Markov is climbing his way to the top (yeah, he could have stopped the first one) and Bouillon is playing like a better defenceman than the average NHL team can claim they have. Rivet has been playing amazing hockey in his own end. Souray has been garbage and Dandenault average. Komisarek is really shaping up. Mark Streit isn't too shabby either, especially not for a seventh defenceman.

The point is that yes, Theo is a good goaltender but he shouldn't get deked out like on Moore and Satan's goals. They were not bad goals but average goals but we pay him 5 million dolars so he stops average goals! Theodore isn't earning his salary. He needs to play like an above average goalie because he has an above average salary. Or else, we're the losers. He's been our main weak point in all 3 of our losses plus in some of our wins.

Theo better put his act together or he'll go the rest of his career with the title of "great upside but too inconsistent to be a starter" laid upon him. Theodore deserves to be a starter of course but until he wakes up he doesn't deserve a penny more than Roberto Luongo.

Our downfall so far is our saviour in the past. When he shows up to his second game of the season we will win. Until then let us luck out game after game.

And the second goal was disgusting. Theo's a lefty and that went right into his glove. It was a knuckleball but for 5 million dollars I'd stop that with my tongue. Atleast turn around incase the puck is lobbing into your net once you feel the rubber lob out of your mit.

For as long as Theo plays like he did tonight the Habs have got their work cut out for them.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Streit shouldve been in the game tonight.

I hope sunny can be back for the next game, and zednik played awesome! everybody stop harping on theo, its the starting of the season and hes let in some soft goals...so what? just watch...

Originally posted by Ribeiro
It's pretty clear that Theodore isn't earning his salary.

He's not paid near enough to play with that crappy excuse the Habs call "defense."

He's taken average teams to the playoffs, and the 2nd round (twice). I'd say that's amazing enough to earn him that contract.

Considering Theo has never played with a good, consistent All-star defensemen like Martin Brodeur or even Dan Cloutier, I was surprised he didn't leave.

Oh right, our horrible defense that's among the league leaders in shots-allowed. And in addition to not allowing many shots, you can't say that Theo is facing a plethora of high-quality scoring opportunities every game. Our defense is average and it definitely isn't the reason for Theo deciding to not show up so far this season.

He carried an awful team back in 2001-2002... and got rewarded for it with a hefty contract.

He didn't do anything spectacular in 2003-2004 and was horribly inconsistent. He was seeing alot of rubber, though, and that season could of been worse if he didn't steal us the occaisional game.

But there's simply no excuse for his sub-par play so far. He gets paid the big-bucks to make the big stops, and he's simply not getting it done.

[Edited on 2005/10/30 by goHabs2005]

He's one of the highest paid goalies in the league so he should make us one of the teams with the highest quality goaltending. But he isn't.

Plain and simple.

The Habs have a decent defence corps at worst.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Markov - He's good again. That's 1 good defender, but notice I bolded good and "consistent" in my post. Should I write it in CAPS next time too, just to make sure you don't miss the already obvious?

Boullion - Not an All-star yet by any stretch. Nothing close to what Cloutier or Broduer has/had.

Rivet - He's never been consistently good.

Souray - 1 good season

Komisarek/Dandenault - Still inexperienced defenders

He's one of the highest paid goalies in the league so he should make us one of the teams with the highest quality goaltending. But he isn't.

Theodore earned the money for his past performances. He can't gurantee the highest quality goaltending by signing a contract - common sense.

Nothing went right tonight. A combination of errors and bad bounces cost us the game early.

Markov was responsible for the 1st goal

2nd and 3rd were all Theo

4th and 5th were some sniper shots and not great defensive coverage.

This isn't enough to explain it though as there were some big saves by NY, posts and at times shots on net without much creativity. With a few lucky bounces we could have put NY on their heels.

The first period we were getting circles skated around us. Thats where Julian has to drop the hammer. Either we were tired or we understimated NY and thats no good

Lister110 knows. The fact that ron mclame just sits there and smirks when cherry spews his venomous bigotry is no surprise. The leafloving wads know they can get away with whatever they want. The leaf's downward spiral is gonna prove hubristic for these mindless, unethical and morally corrupt shills. Unbelievable that my tax money pays for me to hear this kind of garbage. Who is hnic catering too?

Guys, like some of you I have become very frustrated with Montreal's defence. My actual opinion from the start of the season, beginning with preseason is that it is average. There is talent in Markov and Souray(Although I don't know if he has shown up yet), the rest of the D is average(good at one aspect of their position only). I think the coaching staff should work with the group on defensive zone coverage which would really help the goaltenders. The offensive side of the defence does a great job keeping pressure in the opposition zone. I love it when Montreal can dominate for a minute+ at a time in the opposition end. Have to give them credit for this.

I am also a little mad at Jose for not getting his act together yet. He is not in any of the top 10 goalie categories. (I expected him to be #1 or #2 in save% at least). I like the guy and make excuses for him but enough is enough. HE signed a big league contract now honor it! Last nights game was not his fault because the Knuckler shot was just wierd. He should have STOPPED the Moore goal, it was the same play that Spezza did to him. No excuse. And lets not use a weak defence as an excuse because there are goalies with average defence that are playing better than Jose. Just look at the stats or watch some of the games.

Jose did not lose the game for Montreal as it was a team effort to give away the two points.

The Koivu line gets chances but has problems finishing. I pull my hair out with the number of chances they get. The other lines are juggling due to injuries. Something has to give here because the Number1 line cannot be counted on for 90% of the scoring.

I am going to take it as just another game and look forward to the next game. They played great in the third period for 9 minutes and then lapsed in defensive zone coverage. Probably Danis starting next game, but I think they should stick Jose back in. He did not finish what he started last night and should be put back in. Plus maybe he will make that incredible save that will spark the team to play better.

Ah, but what do I know, I am just a die hard Habs fan that is going to cheer for them no matter what. I say we win the next game 3 - 2 in overtime just to give me a heart attack!:hockey:

[Edited on 2005/10/30 by Howie_Morenz]

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Markov - He's good again. That's 1 good defender, but notice I bolded good and "consistent" in my post. Should I write it in CAPS next time too, just to make sure you don't miss the already obvious?

Boullion - Not an All-star yet by any stretch. Nothing close to what Cloutier or Broduer has/had.

Souray - 1 good season

Theodore earned the money for his past performances. He can't gurantee the highest quality goaltending by signing a contract - common sense.

Why would we sign someone for his "past performances"? That's garbage. If the player isn't worth 5 million dollars pay him less. It's not hard to understand. And Cloutier is among the 5 worst starters in the NHL.

And you're forgetting Theo has good defensive forwards like Sundstrom, Bulis, Bonk, Bégin and Higgins to help him out.

Theo is a great goalie but he's not earning his salary. And you call us the "so-called fans" for seeing an obviously existent problem in our goaltending while you make up reasons to bash a perfectly normal defence.

I think the Canadiens are just gonna start Theo, he is gonna be good right off the bat agianst the Rangers. We are gonna win, and then everyone is gonna say how amazing Theo is. But remember guys that doesn't mean he is consistent... I would say Theodore is allowed to average 1 bad game for every nine or ten good ones because he is human. That comes down to about 7 bad games for the whole season. By now he aready has about 4 bad games under his belt and has 3 more lives over the course of the season to earn his salary. It's not likely he is going to do that, but you never know...

Also come playoff time, if Theo steals a series for us, and gets us into the conference finals, then all that he did in the season is nullified.

Originally posted by ~moeman

The leaf's downward spiral is gonna prove hubristic for these mindless, unethical and morally corrupt shills. Who is hnic catering too?

Thats some good writing! :)

-------------------------------------------

From another post:

As far as hockey insights and being a good habs fan are concerned, I don't see the two entirely related. I mean you should know some of the players names if not all of them and have a general understanding of the game, but even these aren't pre-requisites. I know there are people on this board that know more than I do about the Habs and hockey and I don't consider myself less of a fan (the money I spent that I didn't have during the Tampa series on going to a game and Habs peraphenalia is some proof of that...geesh!).

Some of the most die hard fans I've met know nothing about the game, only that they love the team they cheer for. I'm sure there will always be someone that knows more and that shouldn't make you any less of a fan in their company. If that was true the only "true fans" would be the sports analysts and pro's. Pretty sad state of affairs. One of the greatest things about hockey or sports is the way it brings so many different people together.

Lets try and respect difference of opinion here, for the good of Les Habitants

:/)

Originally posted by Lister110
Originally posted by ~moeman

The leaf's downward spiral is gonna prove hubristic for these mindless, unethical and morally corrupt shills. Who is hnic catering too?

Thats some good writing! :)

-------------------------------------------

From another post:

As far as hockey insights and being a good habs fan are concerned, I don't see the two entirely related. I mean you should know some of the players names if not all of them and have a general understanding of the game, but even these aren't pre-requisites. I know there are people on this board that know more than I do about the Habs and hockey and I don't consider myself less of a fan (the money I spent that I didn't have during the Tampa series on going to a game and Habs peraphenalia is some proof of that...geesh!).

Some of the most die hard fans I've met know nothing about the game, only that they love the team they cheer for. I'm sure there will always be someone that knows more and that shouldn't make you any less of a fan in their company. If that was true the only "true fans" would be the sports analysts and pro's. Pretty sad state of affairs. One of the greatest things about hockey or sports is the way it brings so many different people together.

Lets try and respect difference of opinion here, for the good of Les Habitants

:/)

Thnx. Right back at ya.

FWIW there's a handful of intelligent leaf fan and they generally know the game and respect the 29 other teams. My distaste is for the screamers, shillers and sh!tdisturbers from the CotU. Its one thing to be insulted by a bunch of lemming-like fools but someone has to shine the light on these bugs. I happy to do it.

I know I'm beginning to sound repetitious but had a so-called "Sniper" scored when he had two wide-open chances in front of the net when the score was 3-2, we would have pulled out a victory last night.

Most unprofessional.

Julien - lower the axe.

Originally posted by dark_faerie87
Originally posted by shortcat1
Originally posted by JeanLucPilon

so how badly did Jose suck?

not all that badly... the first goal was the result of a good play. the second one was him misreading the trajectory of the puck which was mis-shot by jagr and the third one was a result of a well-directed shot redirection by théodore to a corner that's usually empty and rucinski happens to be there and pots it in at a really bad angle.

I'm glad someone agrees with me. The bounces just didn't go our way tonight.

I would also say that Theodore didn't play badly tonight. He didn't play good, but he din't play bad. He looked average out there.

Let's just face it, everytime the Habs lose, it'll be somehow Theodore's fault, and "Danis should play the next game." Then, when Danis becomes a starter, he'll get the same scapegoat treatment.

Cloutier just finished blowing a game against Colorado (losing 6-2), and Canucks fans were at his defense. Cloutier blew 2 playoff series, and there were Canucks fans in his defense.

Theodore is an MVP, and you've got so-called 'fans' here blaming him after 29 save nights (of 30).

That certainly is true about many Canadiens fans. You should read the posts on RDS.ca. A great number of these people have about a 1 cm fuse and the patience of a hungry one-year-old.

It may be that the Vancouver fans are simply appreciative of having an NHL team.

Many of our fans are solely appreciative of having a winning team and, inevitably, a Stanley Cup. These fans of our team live with a 'that was yesterday, this is today', 'what have you done for me lately' kind of attitude. I wonder how they react when someone puts that kind of pressure upon them. I bet the blame shifts around and around and around really quickly and really well. :eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes::puke:

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Souray - 1 good season

[

Dandenault is an inexperienced defender?

What are you nuts? He's played defence for 9 years in Detroit and helped win 3 Stanley Cups. Thats inexperienced? What the hell do you considered experienced?

"He's played defence for 9 years in Detroit and helped win 3 Stanley Cups."

kaos, good point about Dandy's experience. Unfortunately he is not one of the reasons they won three cups. He was not the key figure in the wins, but did supply offense. Detroit was a loaded team and if he never suited up, they would have still won.

I find he gives the puck away too much. Don't believe me just watch him over the next few games. The Zednik fumble in his skates the other night was due to Dandy making a blind backhanded clearing attempt up the centre of the ice. DUMB!

I was wrong I thought he gave it to Vermette but he is a major reason why the goal was scored. Move the puck up the boards when under fire not up the middle, even I know that and I am only an armchair athlete. If he stops the give-aways, then he will be a much better player for the Habs. :hockey: