Where would the Habs finish in an all Canadian division?

Habsfan89

Ok so theirs been talk of a all Canadian division because of covid19  and crossing the border concerns. So were would Montreal finish in a division vers the other Canadian team's?

I think Calgary, Montreal have addressed team needs, more than the other Canadian team's. Vancouver lost a lot of talent but still has a good mix of players and depth. Edmonton and Jets didn't address any need's and I like what Ottawa is doing but still a young team. Toronto i think got older and slower with some of the addition's but also added some veteran leaders to that dressing room.

So with that said i think it ends up looking like this

Calgary 

Montreal 

Vancouver 

Toronto 

Edmonton 

Jets

Ottawa 

I think this could be the order in which teams would finish. Just based on who improved the most in the off season.

I like the off season moves with "skaters".

But most important IMO is the addition of Jake Allen... regardless of the start date or the number of games, I expect the schedule to be at least slightly compressed ... with Allen on board I feel they will be able to both keep Carey fresh and win over 50% of Allen's games ... on a Zoom call this morning Habs goalie coach Stéphane Waite said that on an 82 game season he would like to see Allen play 30 games ... absent injury or lockout that would be the fewest games for Price since Halak left.

That one-two punch in goal would make the habs the team to beat

• dlbalr changed the title to Where would the Habs finish in an all Canadian division?

Toronto

Edmonton

Montreal

Vancouver

Calgary

Winnipeg

Ottawa

Don’t ban me.

I just went with the feels.

Vancouver is going to be hood with Holtby. I know there’s talk about him being over the hill but to me he’ll always be a Price lite. Pair him up with Thatcher, and it may be a decent tandem. Just like ours. :D

12 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Toronto

Edmonton

Montreal

Vancouver

Calgary

Winnipeg

Ottawa

Don’t ban me.

I just went with the feels.

Vancouver is going to be hood with Holtby. I know there’s talk about him being over the hill but to me he’ll always be a Price lite. Pair him up with Thatcher, and it may be a decent tandem. Just like ours. :D

It seems you have upset some people

tumblr_oy8kjj7d0Z1qmob6ro1_500.gifv&ehk=

LOL

I will disagree with your top two ... IMO Toronto and Edmonton have the same flaw ... GREAT offensive forwards, but their defence corps are average at best ... and neither has good enough goaltending to offset the D ... 

• Like 1

Disagree all you want. Toronto and Edmonton get vomited on a lot, and rightly so, but while it is a mere coincidence in relation to my prediction, Toronto and Edmonton had the highest point totals out of Canadian teams last year. 

21 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Disagree all you want. Toronto and Edmonton get vomited on a lot, and rightly so, but while it is a mere coincidence in relation to my prediction, Toronto and Edmonton had the highest point totals out of Canadian teams last year. 

Montreal had 96 points in 19/19 but it was hardly predictive of 19/20 ... similarly 19/20 is not necessarily predictive of 20/21

I respect your opinion, but just disagree ... the great thing about opinions is that nobody is right or wrong until time proves it out.

I don't see Toronto or Edmonton as having improved, and IMO likely regressed.

BTW: I hope you realize the angry people GIF was a joke in response to your "Don't ban me".

54 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Montreal had 96 points in 19/19 but it was hardly predictive of 19/20 ... similarly 19/20 is not necessarily predictive of 20/21

I respect your opinion, but just disagree ... the great thing about opinions is that nobody is right or wrong until time proves it out.

I don't see Toronto or Edmonton as having improved, and IMO likely regressed.

BTW: I hope you realize the angry people GIF was a joke in response to your "Don't ban me".

The GIF was really funny and posted with humour (LOL caption)

On TO’s projected performance. They are still in cap trouble and have added old players on the decline: which is puzzling And does not project well

On EDM, they did not

prove on D or Goalie while other western conference teams did. Playing against each other

will grind out EDM’s forwards 

On more recent news, the NHL writers seem to agree who the top 2 Canadian teams project to be.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-power-rankings-fantasy-hockey-team-2020-21/c-299081864

Again, only saw this now.

I also know, the word “fantasy” means it is automatically wrong. 🙄

Nice to see the Habs have 11 players in the top 250.

How about sports betting odds? Which Canadian teams have the best odds, I wonder?

https://www.sportsbettingdime.com/nhl/stanley-cup-odds/

3 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

On more recent news, the NHL writers seem to agree who the top 2 Canadian teams project to be.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-power-rankings-fantasy-hockey-team-2020-21/c-299081864

Again, only saw this now.

I also know, the word “fantasy” means it is automatically wrong. 🙄

Nice to see the Habs have 11 players in the top 250.

How about sports betting odds? Which Canadian teams have the best odds, I wonder?

https://www.sportsbettingdime.com/nhl/stanley-cup-odds/

Glad for you that they agree with your picks.

Last summer NHL.com's Fantasy Power Rankings had CBJ 28th (final standings 14th), Islanders 26th (11th), Carolina 23rd (9th) and Oilers 22nd (12th) ... of course in fairness they did get the Habs dead on ... 24th

As for betting odds they reflect a combination of how the "bookie" thinks teams will finish, how they think bettors think teams will finish and how much fans of a particular team tend to bet on their team (i.e., ***IF*** for example, in any particular season, Habs fans aggressively bet on their team to win the Cup regardless of whether or not they have a good team ... then the odds don't have to be as high to attract their money)

Only time will tell with predictions ... yours ... mine ... NHL.com ... or ... the bookies

On 11/11/2020 at 7:53 PM, xXx..CK..xXx said:

But you're forgetting  Calgary and Montreal greatly improved their team. Edmonton did nothing, Toronto got older and slower, Vancouver lost a lot of depth, jets did nothing and  Ottawa improved. 

2 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

But you're forgetting  Calgary and Montreal greatly improved their team. Edmonton did nothing, Toronto got older and slower, Vancouver lost a lot of depth, jets did nothing and  Ottawa improved. 

I’m rooting for the Habs just as much as anyone but I could argue that Toronto actually improved because these “old and slow” players are actually what they need to support the younger core.  

Toronto and Edmonton also have Elite players that the Habs sorely lack. I’m happy with our off season but Tyler Toffoli is no Auston Matthews, Conor Mcdavid, or Leon Draisaitl.

Edmonton added Tyson Barrie, who two years ago would have been the pickup of free agency, period. In fact, he will likely accumulate 40 points this year, even if he plays 3rd pair. Kyle Turris and Tyler Ennis are skilled players as well.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that Edmonton’s off season will be the sole reason they do well. I do think, however, that you are holding too much weight on this specific off season, and how much of an impact “addressing needs” has on the outcome in the standings. The Habs got better, but they were 12th place last season. Edmonton was 5th. 

As for the playoffs, that’s a whole other ball game. I do indeed trust even the Habs more than the Leafs or Oilers when it comes to winning in the playoffs. That’s where having Carey Price is nice as our all star, because there’s always hope with him in the playoffs, though it has only played that way perhaps once in his career, before he got injured versus the Rangers.

Toronto, with all their elite players, had a whopping five more wins than the Habs in 2019-2020. In spite of two big slumps by the Habs.

The Habs added Toffoli and Anderson -- and, more importantly, Allen. Those three will be worth a handful of wins, I expect (in addition to any Allen wins he will reduce the load on Price). If Suzuki and Kotkaniemi play like they did in the post-season, I see no reason why the Habs couldn't finish ahead of the Leafs in the 2021 regular season. (Note: "couldn't" doesn't mean that they are guaranteed to do so, only that I think they have a decent chance to do so.)

21 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Toronto, with all their elite players, had a whopping five more wins than the Habs in 2019-2020. In spite of two big slumps by the Habs.

The Habs added Toffoli and Anderson -- and, more importantly, Allen. Those three will be worth a handful of wins, I expect (in addition to any Allen wins he will reduce the load on Price). If Suzuki and Kotkaniemi play like they did in the post-season, I see no reason why the Habs couldn't finish ahead of the Leafs in the 2021 regular season. (Note: "couldn't" doesn't mean that they are guaranteed to do so, only that I think they have a decent chance to do so.)

Don't forget Edmondson, he's going to be a fine addition to the blue line plus so will Romanov. Plus we added guys who have won a cup. For me I just feel the most improved Canadian team's this off season are Montreal and Calgary.

12 hours ago, DON said:

But, that Thorton-Spezzza-Simmonds line could tear it up.

Circa 2011-12?

13 hours ago, DON said:

But, that Thorton-Spezzza-Simmonds line could tear it up.

Put tears in the Leafs fans' eyes maybe? It's great for nostalgia, but none of those three scored even ten goals last year. By comparison, Lehkonen's much-maligned offensive skills were still good for 13.

I really don't get the Leafs signing those three. I could see one to provide a veteran presence, but three?

Of course, I have been wrong before, and maybe they will each shed five years by playing together. We'll know more in a few months' time.

32 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Put tears in the Leafs fans' eyes maybe? It's great for nostalgia, but none of those three scored even ten goals last year. By comparison, Lehkonen's much-maligned offensive skills were still good for 13.

I really don't get the Leafs signing those three. I could see one to provide a veteran presence, but three?

Of course, I have been wrong before, and maybe they will each shed five years by playing together. We'll know more in a few months' time.

I can't see the Leafs playing all three as a line.  It would be the slowest line in the NHL. 

I think we will see a rotation, with one on the third line, one on the fourth, and one in the pressbox to keep him fresh. 

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

They signed Spezza last year and he didn’t do anything in the playoffs.

It’s true that they are three over the hill veteran players but it’s not fair to pair all three together in terms of asking why did they sign all three?

Spezza wasn’t the answer, but he was already there. 

Thornton and Simmonds are the new additions so it would be more appropriate to ask why they signed both, and not just one. 

Then again, Spezza did admittedly sign a contract extension this year, but I still view it differently. He was already there, is a hometown boy, and is getting paid 700k.

All three are from Ontario, so if that’s the reason that the Leafs signed all three, then I would have to agree that it is likely a mistake on their part. On the other hand, I can’t imagine that being the reason. 

Dallas did well with a bunch of veterans. I’m not sure why it’s always a theory that a team only needs “one player” for leadership. What happens when one of them inevitably get injured? They’ll have veteran depth. I like what they did.