Where would the Habs finish in an all Canadian division?

Habsfan89

25 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Oh, we have question marks. Can Suzuki and  Kotkaniemi play like they did in the postseason? Will Romanov live up to his hype? Will Anderson play up to his contract? What can Edmundson do on D? Will any of our young winger prospects start the season in the NHL?

All that said, I'm really looking forward to seeing what they might be able to do this season.

The weird thing about Romanov is that I haven’t heard one single hockey media person including Engels that even talks about him like he is even a consideration. They mention him but never in the context of an important piece. 

He is young but he is also pegged to be first pairing Dman. 

Perhaps our D is just so strong 🤷‍♂️

Interesting comments from Burke. I personally agree, am confident for this team, and am pumped to see them play.

but... they haven’t proven anything yet, so skepticism is warranted.

The core is still very similar to last year, so perhaps we shouldn’t be expecting big improvements after all; however, every team is starting with a clean slate.
Again, my personal view is that they’ve improved in the appropriate areas and the core will be able to flourish accordingly. So yeah, Go Habs Go! First in all CDN division.

33 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

No he isn't.

He is a small d-man who can skate well, hit a bit and maybe has OK offense (or could be Mete-like also?).

Of course we all hope he will be a 1st pairing guy, down the road; but, he hasn't even played one shift at NHL speed vs NHL calibre players yet.

Don't get why everyone has kooky high expectations, especially for this upcoming year.

Young d like him, do not come in and be an impact player right away.

I can see him even being in over his head at some point and needing some AHL time.

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

The weird thing about Romanov is that I haven’t heard one single hockey media person including Engels that even talks about him like he is even a consideration. They mention him but never in the context of an important piece. 

Perhaps our D is just so strong 🤷‍♂️

I highly doubt he plays 1st pair as a rookie, unless we have major injury issues.   

I think Chiarot - Weber will ber the pair. 

I personally loved Romanov at the World Juniors (U-20)  prior to even drafting him. Similar to the amount that I loved Subban at the World Juniors... and before people get on me, Subban had 9 points in 13 games during 2 World Juniors, whereas Romanov had 14 points in 14 games over 2 World Juniors.

With that being said, despite his young age his point totals have not yet translated to the adult leagues. 

I am cautiously optimistic about him. He is not the type of player who will have zero impact. That’s almost impossible for him. 

While I often find the "expert opinions" to be quite blithe, in this case commentators are smart not to allow the hype around Romanov to influence their assessments of the Habs.

I get that he is well-regarded, but very few rookie D can step in and make a real impact. Only rarely does a Subban or Quinn Hughes show up. If Romanov is one of those, why, that's a huge bonus. But the smart, conservative money is on his having ups and downs and not really being a difference-maker, at least not this year.

38 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

While I often find the "expert opinions" to be quite blithe, in this case commentators are smart not to allow the hype around Romanov to influence their assessments of the Habs.

I get that he is well-regarded, but very few rookie D can step in and make a real impact. Only rarely does a Subban or Quinn Hughes show up. If Romanov is one of those, why, that's a huge bonus. But the smart, conservative money is on his having ups and downs and not really being a difference-maker, at least not this year.

It isnt just the commentators pumping his tires i have seen way too glowing remarks from Luke Richardson, Frankie B, Bergevin, and even Julien annointing him as a NHL regular with big upside.

When he has a game changing brain cramp or two or a poor stretch of play, which all rookie d-men do, i just hope he isnt roasted for it. 

1 hour ago, DON said:

It isnt just the commentators pumping his tires i have seen way too glowing remarks from Luke Richardson, Frankie B, Bergevin, and even Julien annointing him as a NHL regular with big upside.

When he has a game changing brain cramp or two or a poor stretch of play, which all rookie d-men do, i just hope he isnt roasted for it. 

Agree on the last part.

"NHL regular with big upside" - sure, but that doesn't mean he'll be more than a #5 (say) this particular season, by and large. When TB acquired Sergachev in that bad joke of a trade, nobody was going "well, this fundamentally changes the profile of that team," even though they had just acquired a rookie D who was "an NHL regular with a big upside." The point is that - apart from outliers like McDavid - you don't point to the impact of untested rookies when making projections for a team's performance in an upcoming season. That's why the prognosticators are correct not to make a big deal out of Romanov when discussing how the Habs will do this year.

If its a 56 game season.  I expect Romanov to play about 45 games on the third pair.  Like many young d, he will need the occassional, lets step back and go to the press box with a coach and watch the game from above... in order to learn.

Being a healthy scratch will of course lead to freak outs in the fan base and media.  

Save this post as a prediction of that.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I certainly expect Romanov to start as a rookie should on the last pair. 

I meant the hype for the player overall. Is he not pegged as a future top pairing? Or am I expecting too much?

Think there is confidence in Top 4 and hope for Top 2

44 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I certainly expect Romanov to start as a rookie should on the last pair. 

I meant the hype for the player overall. Is he not pegged as a future top pairing? Or am I expecting too much?

I simply think way too early to make any solid predictions and yes you are expecting too much, unless you are talking about a 24-25yr old Romanov.

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Think there is confidence in Top 4 and hope for Top 2

I think this might be a better way to put it.

22 hours ago, Commandant said:

Romanov didnt play at the U-20 prior to us drafting him.

With that being the case, my statement was more-so made to sincerely indicate that I wasn’t biased towards him simply because we drafted him. I really liked the way he played at the World Juniors. He was an extremely important contributing factor on a high caliber championship Russian team.

Since then, I have been following him having expected his offensive numbers to be a little higher, but they have not yet translated to an adult league. 

This year, I as well see Romanov as generally being played on the third pair. As Sergachev was brought up, I am fairly certain that he spent much of his first season as an active 7th defenseman with Tampa Bay, with some power play time.

On the other hand, it wasn’t long ago that Mete was our first pairing defenseman, and Romanov will be better than him. 

I know people will say that our defense has improved, in addition to the fact that playing Mete on the first pair was a mistake. With that being said, there’s a certain element of mentorship that Weber can provide which pretty much never leaves the option of Romanov being mentored by him on the first pairing at some point out of the question. One never know what injuries will take place either. 

While it’s possible he is overhyped (though I don’t see it), I think those that are overly skeptical haven’t watched him play. 

On Mete:

I view him as an excellent 7th defensemen that can play on any D pair for a game now that he can be sheltered by bigger Ds

If Romanomb falters, Mete can step in on the third pair with ease 

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

If Romanomb falters, Mete can step in on the third pair with ease 

IMO Mete will only step into Romanov's place (for more than a game here and there) is if AR totally craps the bed ... that assumes that Mete is (hopefully IMO) not Romanov's partner to begin with

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I like Mete but not near as much as I used to. I love his work ethic and attitude but he excels at nothing. 

Well, vastly improved his offense last year (low bar I know); but, I think if given PP time, am sure he would get a few more points, gain more confidence with puck and I love his speed.

13 minutes ago, DON said:

Well, vastly improved his offense last year (low bar I know); but, I think if given PP time, am sure he would get a few more points, gain more confidence with puck and I love his speed.

Increased PP time might up his stats but I doubt it would benefit the Habs ... but I totally agree that his speed is an exceptional asset

What exactly does Mete’s speed get him?

Cant score, can’t hit, can’t work the boards well, can’t clear the net well, despite his speed he doesn’t do anything really well. 

His passing is decent but certainly not a strength that surpasses his peers. 

I wanted to add that I really love Romanov’s personality. He reminds me of Ovechkin that way and I hope that means he has that same intensity 

40 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

What exactly does Mete’s speed get him?

Almost guarantees him (barring serious injuries) a long NHL career.

Doesnt give up many breakaways or 2 on 1s, that he cant get back to break up.

When he decides or is allowed to, he can carry puck end to end very quickly.

In all of his 3 PP minutes last season he had 1a. If he had Petry's PP icetime that would equate to 57 PP pts pace. He had 11 PP minutes in playoffs and had 2a. So i still think is untapped offense, not that he will be a big producer, but better than shown so far.

A 22 yr old d-man is considered quite young to be overly critical of.

• 2 weeks later...

Schedule's out ... Habs open in TO and close in TO ... I am fed up that we are at the Laffs beck&call.

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Looks like we have 10 back to backs

So, IMO, we need to find another 10 starts for Allen (provided he doesn't become another in line of insufficient backups).