Where would the Habs finish in an all Canadian division?

Habsfan89

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Yeah having Allen is going to be so important now. 

we are genuinely in good shape 

Looking at the schedule ... ***IF*** Allen is playing well and Habs are not in dogfight for playoff spot, at the end of March beginning of April the Habs could, after a home game against Ottawa, give Price 7 days off to recharge the batteries for the home stretch and playoffs (2 road and another home game all against Ottawa) before a home game against Edmonton

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

A little bit of schedule analysis:

Interesting. This will be very difficult information for Vancouver to process, as the organization and its fans have profoundly internalized the notion that they are chronically disadvantaged by travel and schedule.

The Habs' positioning shows just how crucial the Allen acquisition was.

Now that we have a schedule and start date I revisited my prediction and have most definitely changed my opinion. 

The Habs are finishing first and here is why. 

Despite our sad record over the last few seasons we have had very strong stats on 5 on 5. Largely due to the Danault line but it was a team strength. 

What sunk us was our awful PP. Our sad sack PP should never see the likes of Weal or the like ever again! We have some new weapons and if the other team’s D wanna focus on Weber then Toffoli or Anderson will finish. Our PP will be greatly improved. 

The fact that we have two strong goalies with this schedule is a massive bonus that other teams don’t have. 

Habs record against Canadian teams has been good despite our record. 

We are gonna be very good in this environment. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My thought is they finsh 3rd behind Edmonto and Toronto. Both teams that will lose in the first round. Be a tight battle for fourth with Vancouver squeeking in. Montreal wont sew up that 3rd place until the end of season. Go Habs Go. Will be a good season. 

9 minutes ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

My thought is they finsh 3rd behind Edmonto and Toronto. Both teams that will lose in the first round. Be a tight battle for fourth with Vancouver squeeking in. Montreal wont sew up that 3rd place until the end of season. Go Habs Go. Will be a good season. 

Assuming KK delivers, I really like the way this team is constructed for the purposes of a playoff run. The trick will be to get into the playoffs. I’m confident they can do it, but it will be a tough battle, all right, and some good Canadian teams are going to be left on the outside looking in.

TSN’s Seravelli just put us at #1.

Traditionally I’m not a big fan of finishing 1st (risk of coasting into the playoffs, while others fight tooth and nail). It puts teams at significant disadvantage. 

I don’t think that will happen this year. This is going to be a street brawl from beginning to end.

12 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

TSN’s Seravelli just put us at #1.

Traditionally I’m not a big fan of finishing 1st (risk of coasting into the playoffs, while others fight tooth and nail). It puts teams at significant disadvantage. 

I don’t think that will happen this year. This is going to be a street brawl from beginning to end.

I don't think there is going to be much coasting for the team that finishes first in the NHL Scotia North Division ... maybe the last 4-5 games but I expect the standings to be surprisingly tight

Hmm, I can understand the dislike for the Sens but I'm surprised that the majority think they will be dead last.   I tend to think that the Sens have improved more than the Habs that dare I say it I believe they might be a dark horse this year and could potentially make the playoffs.   They'd have no chance in a reg season with normal divisions but this year the Sens might benefit from the all Cdn div. 

Montreal

Calgary 

Edmonton

Ottawa

Toronto 

Jets

Vancouver 

10 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I don't think there is going to be much coasting for the team that finishes first in the NHL Scotia North Division ... maybe the last 4-5 games but I expect the standings to be surprisingly tight

I agree that with this new div the standings will be really tight for the bottom 4 teams at least.  1 or 2 teams might be 5-6 games ahead and 3rd could be 2.5-3 games ahead.   

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Who do the Sens have at Center?

Who do they have on D after Chabot?

That is a bad team....   I could see almost any order from the other 6 teams.  I can't see Ottawa anywhere but 7th.

In this season, its weird because of the bottom 4 teams each 1 basically has a 25% chance to make the playoffs.  That's why I don't think the Sens will be dead last and could potentially surprise everybody.  If they get some lucky bounces and win several games that they shouldn't have they could pull it off. 

Plus every time another team in the bottom 4 loses to a top 3 team will  improve the Sens odds. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Who do the Sens have at Center?

Who do they have on D after Chabot?

That is a bad team....   I could see almost any order from the other 6 teams.  I can't see Ottawa anywhere but 7th.

I think it’s pretty safe to say they’ll finish seventh by a WIDE margin.

9 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I agree that with this new div the standings will be really tight for the bottom 4 teams at least.  1 or 2 teams might be 5-6 games ahead and 3rd could be 2.5-3 games ahead.   

In this season, its weird because of the bottom 4 teams each 1 basically has a 25% chance to make the playoffs.  That's why I don't think the Sens will be dead last and could potentially surprise everybody.  If they get some lucky bounces and win several games that they shouldn't have they could pull it off. 

They need more than bounces. There is a significant talent gap and they’re aren’t enough bounces to fill that wide of a gap unless they have three rookies that are the top three Calder candidates.

9 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think it’s pretty safe to say they’ll finish seventh by a WIDE margin.

I don't believe 4-7 will be a wide margin though.  The standings in the bottom 4 will be crazy close.   ex:  if there are 2 .650 teams then there could be 2 .350 teams.  This year is bizarre because a team could play .400-.425 hockey and still make the playoffs. 

I just see the sens as far worse than every other team in the division.  

Losses happening when other teamd play each other wont help much as the Sens will still struggle to win games.

They dont have detroit and buffalo to get points on this year.

12 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I don't believe 4-7 will be a wide margin though.  The standings in the bottom 4 will be crazy close.   ex:  if there are 2 .650 teams then there could be 2 .350 teams.  This year is bizarre because a team could play .400-.425 hockey and still make the playoffs. 

I guarantee that with 4 out 7 making the playoffs and 3 point games... 425 hockey will NOT make the playoffs.

• Like 1

To me

Ottawa has the 6th best goaltending in the division (only Edmonton is worse)

Has the worst defence group in the division. 

Has the worst centre group in the division. 

If draisaitl plays centre, they beat the Oilers on the Wings....  might beat the Canucks too.... but thats about it.  Ottawas wingers will be real good as they mature though. 

Still i don't understand this rebuild, looks like the Habs/Leafs failed builds with no centres.  There is nothing on that team at centre, Norris and White look like 2nd/3rd liners, Brown and Chlapik they are close to giving up on.  I don't know where their centre comes from, not unless its the 2021 or 2022 drafts.