Habs lose Shane Churla to Florida, Martin Lapointe named replacement

dlbalr

The Habs are down their top amateur scout as Shane Churla left the team today to join Florida as their Director of Amateur Scouting.  While Timmins ultimately has the final say, he's technically an assistant GM and Churla was Montreal's Director of Amateur Scouting.

Reportedly (TSN690 speculation) the reason was having actual final say on the draft ... wonder if Timmins has ever been able to actually give up control of the scouting process after being promoted.

On 11/23/2020 at 8:27 PM, dlbalr said:

The Habs are down their top amateur scout as Shane Churla left the team today to join Florida as their Director of Amateur Scouting.  While Timmins ultimately has the final say, he's technically an assistant GM and Churla was Montreal's Director of Amateur Scouting.

I thought I had read, that Churla had the same title in Montreal as he does now in Florida?  If so then he may have made a lateral move for different reasons, such as salary or more responsibilities.   It's always difficult for us to gauge which person deserves credit when it comes to drafting players.  

• dlbalr changed the title to Habs lose Shane Churla to Florida, Martin Lapointe named replacement

He was Director of Player Development but was doing scouting for Chicago prior to that. I don't know how much actual scouting he will be doing at the director level, but at least he will be overseeing the amateur scouting team.

He may have a good relationship with Bergevin -- he needs to, really -- but I have to believe the decision is based on an assessment of what Lapointe is capable of doing. Just promoting your buddies is not a recipe for long-term success.

40 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

-- but I have to believe the decision is based on an assessment of what Lapointe is capable of doing...

Why do you have to believe that?  But, if Timmins is overseeing and Bergevin has final say in drafting, how important is the role anyways, managing the scouting dept?

1 hour ago, DON said:

Why do you have to believe that?  But, if Timmins is overseeing and Bergevin has final say in drafting, how important is the role anyways, managing the scouting dept?

Personally, I believe it because I believe Bergevin is looking to succeed (and motivated by success). From that it follows that he will want to hire people who (he believes) will help him, and the team, be successful.

Yes, it's not clear whether it's a (drafting) decision-making role or just people management.

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Personally, I believe it because I believe Bergevin is looking to succeed (and motivated by success). From that it follows that he will want to hire people who (he believes) will help him, and the team, be successful.

Yes, it's not clear whether it's a (drafting) decision-making role or just people management.

I hope you are correct, i think Bergevin, in the past did not select and keep staff based strictly merits...full fleet of ex-NHLers who are french to run Hamilton, no matter the results or lack of.

20 minutes ago, DON said:

I hope you are correct, i think Bergevin, in the past did not select and keep staff based strictly merits...full fleet of ex-NHLers who are french to run Hamilton, no matter the results or lack of.

Yeah, I don't know what the Canadiens' internal org structure looks like. I would guess that the AHL team's GM reports to the Habs' GM but it's really a guess. Anyway, if that's correct, the AHL GM would be responsible for selecting that team's staff. If the AHL team's staff is not working out, you would typically give them some opportunity to improve before you go for the nuclear option and fire that GM (you need to then find a new AHL GM and hope that the new one either selects better staff or gets better results from the existing staff).

It's been too long since Hamilton that I don't remember the specific management issues there any more, sorry ...

Bergevin hired- Lefebvre, Lebeau and the AGMs (LaCarrierre's) son to coach Hamilton (and i think some other french coach). And team was simply horrible, missed playoffs every year i think and had many questionable coaching decisions.

(you could also lay blame at Bergvin's feet for lineup he gave them to work with)

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Yeah, I don't know what the Canadiens' internal org structure looks like. I would guess that the AHL team's GM reports to the Habs' GM but it's really a guess. Anyway, if that's correct, the AHL GM would be responsible for selecting that team's staff. If the AHL team's staff is not working out, you would typically give them some opportunity to improve before you go for the nuclear option and fire that GM (you need to then find a new AHL GM and hope that the new one either selects better staff or gets better results from the existing staff).

Bergevin is the GM for Laval now.  Larry Carriere used to be but he left and no one was brought in as a replacement (which, of course, is the same thing that happened yesterday as the Habs' management group gets leaner).  Even when there is an AHL GM though, it's the NHL parent team that picks the coaching staff.

10 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Bergevin is the GM for Laval now.  Larry Carriere used to be but he left and no one was brought in as a replacement (which, of course, is the same thing that happened yesterday as the Habs' management group gets leaner).  Even when there is an AHL GM though, it's the NHL parent team that picks the coaching staff.

OK ... I'm somewhat surprised at this, I would have thought Bergevin would have his man in Laval overseeing the Rocket's operation and people. But, hey, I've never run an NHL (or AHL!) team so I was just making some assumptions that appear not to be valid in the pro hockey world! 🤪