Golf with the "72" greats

Habsterr

I had the chance to play in September of this year in a golf event with the "72" hockey players. Including some great Habs players from those years.

Got to meet Cournoyer, Savard, Lapointe, Little M...

Had dinner next to Espo on one side and Richard Martin of the famed "French Connection" line on the other. And yes, I met Henderson too.

Pics below.(ooops, try the post below)

I also had a 72 jersey signed by them. Main sig I am missing is Dryden as he wasn't at the event.:can::can::can::que::/)

I was like a little kid again.

[Edited on 2005/11/7 by Habsterr]

The most pleasant surprise of a photo was that of Peter Mahovlich.

He was one heck of a player... very understated and underrated but a super addition to the 70's team. he and his brother Frank did very well with/for the Canadiens.

To make things better, they were both trade steals.

Detroit traded Mahovlich and Bart Crashley to Montreal in exchange for Garry Monahan and Doug Piper in June 1969. Big steal!

In 1971, the Habs acquired Frank Mahovlich from Detroit for Mickey Redmond, Guy Charron and Billy Collins. The Big M went on to have four superb years for the Canadiens during which they won two Stanley Cups. Ridiculously huge, stupendous steal!

I don't know who was Detroit's brain trust in those days but boy, they were certainly sheep to the slaughter on those two trades. They were royally fleeced.

Copy of email I sent to my buds after the event

What a day!

Before we teed off I had the good fortune to meet Yvon Cournoyer (quite miserable in bad back pain and he couldn't play), Paul Henderson (loved the limelight), Phil Esposito (very warm and personable and one can see how he was a popular captain), Peter Mahovolich (fun and friendly just like his reputation), big Serge Savard (very serious and was showing off his newly built knee..ouch), Brad Park (surprisingly nice guy), John Ferguson, Tony Esposito, Marcel Dionne, Guy Lapointe, Mickey Redmond, Bill White, Brian Glennie and I'm sure a few more I can't remember right now. Played with Richard Martin of the famed French Connection line of Buffalo. Must have told us 50 of the dirtiest jokes...and a really good golfer as well.

We were all given private lockers with our names on it. It was kinda cool and felt like I was in the Habs locker room as these famous players started rolling in and setting up their personal spaces. Yes, I did shower afterwards and sure enough, as I came out, into the shower room came (gulp) a naked Fergie and a Savard sporting nothing but a pair of sunglasses. His son Marc, who played his dad in the series, told me later, sadly, Savard had contracted an eye infection and has lost all sight in one eye.

After the golf and showers, we all met up at the banquet hall that was all awash in red and white. Each and every chair had a Team Canada sweater for every guest to keep. Needless to say, we all asked as many players as possible sign our sweaters.

One very neat part for myself, was during dinner I was flanked by Phil Esposito and Richard Martin. Don't know how many references were made by these two guys to me about different 72 players and Swedish girls. Lots of laughs!

The evening was rounded off by the hilarious Dennis Hull who is famous for his after dinner speaking. Man was he a real pro and really really funny!

Enclosed are a few pics, mainly to prove to myself this morning I actually did spend the day with these guys.

Cheers all!