Top 20

montreal

I did an article for HF that may not go up, thought someone might be interested in reading it.

Habs Top 20 Prospects

By Dan Linn

1. Mike Komisarek- Montreal Canadiens, NHL. Stays at the top of the pack of an impressive group of prospects. His size, skating, and defensive play make him one of the top young defensemen in the NHL. A full season in the NHL is expected, and would be important to his continued development.

2. Alex Perezhogin- Montreal Canadiens or AHL. Recently signed this summer, Perezhogin makes his North American debut this season. After a strong season playing for Omsk in the Russian Super League and both the Senior and Junior National teams, Perezhogin has a strong skill set, to go with his hard work, and impressive skating.

3. Andrei Kastsitsyn- CSKA or CKSA-2, RSL. Kastsitsyn remains a bit of a mystery, as questions over his health and age and general lack of playing time make it hard to properly gauge his abilities, but with several impressive showings in international play, the Habs could have a potential game breaker in the organization, which has been lacking from the lineup for some time.

4. Chris Higgins- Montreal Canadiens or AHL. Higgins recently turned pro, after two very successful seasons with the Yale Bulldogs, as their top player and one of the top 10 finalist for the Hobey Baker award for the top player in college hockey. Higgins also has had an impressive showing at the international level, leading Team USA in scoring as an 18 year old, and 2nd in scoring his final year. A gifted scorer that has a great skating ability, and all around hockey sense, the Habs have a player that is a threat in any situation, and at both ends of the rink.

5. Ron Hainsey- Montreal Canadiens or AHL. The Habs first pick of the 2000 draft, Hainsey is blessed with a lot of natural skills, but has yet to put it all together. Young defensemen take longer to develop, as the position requires a great deal of thinking, and being able to react to the play in a instant. A good skater that is known for his abilities on offence Hainsey needs to improve his reaction time, and decision making in his own end. Another year in the AHL would be good for his development, but another strong camp could change that.

6. Marcel Hossa- Montreal Canadiens. After a red-hot start when called up to the NHL, Hossa has not performed well since then. A player loaded with skill, but lacks intensity and consistency, which leave coaches and fans shaking their heads. Having a brother that is one of the top players in the NHL can make things that much more difficult for the young player, but with NHL size, skating, and abilities on offence, it is up to him to find success.

7. Tomas Plekanec- Hamilton Bulldogs, AHL. A solid rookie season in North America, should earn him increased ice time in Hamilton next season. Plekanec is a skilled center, with great stickhandling abilities, a creatitive playmaker, solid skating, and overall hockey sense.

8. Corey Urquhart- PEI Rocket, QMJHL. The leading scorer of the Rocket, and the Habs 2nd round pick in the 2003 draft, Urquhart is a talented center that knows how to put the puck in the net. A impressive wrist shot with a quick release that will force goaltenders to consider a career change, the Habs hope he can improve his overall game under coach Alain Vigneault.

9. Duncan Milroy- Hamilton Bulldogs. A star of the Western hockey league, Milroy is a hard working player that has the smarts and great positional play to force Habs management to take a chance on him very early in the 2001 draft, going 37th overall. A great wrist shot, and a player that can play in all situations, Milroy has recently turned pro, and will look to earn a spot on one of the top lines in Hamilton if possible.

10. Josef Balej- Hamilton Bulldogs. An injury plagued rookie pro season was one for Balej to look past and focus on earning a spot on one of the top lines in Hamilton. A skilled winger, that is very fast and has a great slap shot that is heavy and accurate. Balej needs to work on his overall game, especially in his own end, and improve his hockey sense.

11. Michael Ryder- Montreal Canadien or AHL. Ryder is coming off a career year in the AHL, as one of the top goal scorers in the entire league, and one of the main reasons the team went so far in the playoffs. It’s uncertain just where he fits into managements plans for the future, but if he continues to play as he did last season, they will have to find a spot for the 216th pick of the ’98 draft.

12. Corey Locke- Ottawa 67’s, OHL. Locke was the leading scorer of the entire CHL, putting up an amazing 151 pts in just 66 games. What is impressive is that Locke had only 43 pts in 55 games the prior season, yet in one years time nearly tripled his offensive production. This could be his final season in the OHL, Locke doesn’t have anything to prove on the scoresheet, but will need to work on his skating, strength, and speed if he is to earn a contract, and show 29 GM’s they overlooked a highly skilled player due to a lack of size.

13. Francois Beauchemin- Montreal Canadiens or AHL. Beauchemin is also coming off a career year with Hamilton, as one of the top defensemen in the entire AHL. A physical defensemen that can play in all situations, Beauchemin improved his offensive production, while learning to stay out of the penalty box, a sign of maturity and understanding of what it takes to succeed in today’s hockey. Beauchemin could play in Montreal, but another season in Hamilton as the top defensemen would be good as well.

14. Konstantin Korneev- AK Bars, RSL. Korneev lacks in size, but makes up for it with skill. After an impressive showing at the U-18 and U-20 international tournament, Korneev may force management to bring him over to North America. Taken 275th overall in 2002, Korneev is solid in his own end, while being able to produce on offence as well.

15. Jonathan Ferland- Hamilton Bulldogs, AHL. Recently signed to a pro contract, Ferland is a physical winger that can play in all situations, and is a threat to score inside in the offensive zone. A hard working player that will battle for the puck along the boards, Ferland didn’t need to be signed, but his hard work and offensive production as one of the top scorers on his team, made it an easy choice to turn pro. Taken 212th overall in 2002, Ferland has some tough competition in Hamilton, if he is to earn a spot on one of the top lines.

16. Joni Puurula- HPK, SM-Liiga. Another late pick, taken 243rd overall in 2000, Puurula was named the starter of HPK after an impressive playoff performance in the ’01 season. Playing for one of the top teams in the Finnish Elite league, Puurula was able to take his team far in the playoffs, but questions did arise about his consistency. Hopefully his goalie coach, and Finnish National team goalie coach, Kaarela will work on this and other areas of his game.

17. Andrew Archer- Hamilton Bulldogs, AHL. Signed recently to a pro contract, Archer the former captain of the OHL’s Guelph Storm, looks to take his game to the next level in the AHL. Another late pick, taken 203rd overall in the 2001 draft, Archer already has impressive size, but needs improvement on offence.

18. Maxim Lapierre- PEI Rocekt, QMJHL. Lapierre is known for his in your face style, and quick skating, which got him drafted by the Habs in the 2nd round, 61st overall in 2003. Lapierre needs to work on his offensive game, but increased ice time could under coach Vigneault could improve several areas of his game, after an impressive rookie season.

19. Ryan O’byrne, Cornell, ECAC, NCAA. O’byrne was somewhat of a surprise pick at 79th overall in the 2003 draft, after playing for Nanimo Clippers of the BCJHL. But there’s no question in regards to his size, and moving on the Big Red of the ECAC a program know for it’s strict defensive system should be a great learning experience.

20. Matt Shasby- Hamilton Bulldogs, ECHL or unknown. Shasby is still without a pro contract, after finishing his NCAA career, as one of the top players at the University of Alaska Anchorage. The gifted puck moving defensemen, is coming off a rough senior season, after being the most improve Habs prospect the prior season. Taken 150th overall in the 1998 draft, Shasby will be at the rookie tournament, playing for a contract and a chance to join Hamilton in the AHL.

Honorable Mention:

Oskari Korpikari, Karpat, SM-liiga.

Danny Stewart, Rimouski, QMJHL.

Mark Flood, Peterbrough, OHL.

Michael Lambert, PEI, QMJHL.

:hlogo:

Great work , thanks for the article...

You've gotta love that top-5 , any one of those guys could be the #1 prospect for alot (I said alot , not all) of teams in the NHL...

BTW does I was surprised JF Damphousse wasnt mentioned , I'd figure he'd get at least an honourable mention... He was at one time a top goalie prospect. Or is he to old like J.Ward and left off the list? ... Anyways good job , thanks for posting the article.

Hamilton should be very interesting to watch for us Habs fans. We'll finally get a chance to see Perezhogin play in North America. I would also be most interested in watching how Milroy, Balej, Plajanec, and Ferland will develop in pro hockey... especially Balej in fact.

Also, I would not want to be a center on the Rocket team this year, as Im pretty sure Vigneault will play favorites with the new Habs prospects Urquhart and Lapierre, which is all good for us. Maybe he will even play Bonneau on the first line... he he he.

Nice work.

I'd have Plekanec ahead of Hossa though.

I'd also rate Archer higher then that. The kid might not have much offensive ability but I think he's a lock as a good defensive d-man. I honestly think he'll be on our NHL team within 2 years.

It's great when your biggest problem is how/where to rate so many good prospects...:))

Originally posted by puck7x

Great work , thanks for the article...

You've gotta love that top-5 , any one of those guys could be the #1 prospect for alot (I said alot , not all) of teams in the NHL...  

BTW does I was surprised JF Damphousse wasnt mentioned , I'd figure he'd get at least an honourable mention... He was at one time a top goalie prospect. Or is he to old like J.Ward and left off the list? ... Anyways good job , thanks for posting the article.

Yea the top 6 are all highly skilled, and could be a major part of this teams future.

Damphousse is in his last year as a prospect, but being on 4 teams in less then 2 years with some average to decent numbers makes me question him. I really want to wait to see how he odes in Hamilton before I rank him fairly.

Originally posted by CerebusClones

Hamilton should be very interesting to watch for us Habs fans. We'll finally get a chance to see Perezhogin play in North America. I would also be most interested in watching how Milroy, Balej, Plajanec, and Ferland will develop in pro hockey... especially Balej in fact.

Also, I would not want to be a center on the Rocket team this year, as Im pretty sure Vigneault will play favorites with the new Habs prospects Urquhart and Lapierre, which is all good for us. Maybe he will even play Bonneau on the first line... he he he.

The Rocket are very deep at center. Lambert also plays center, but should be moved to the LW on the 1st line. They should have a decent team this year, and if Lambert or Urquhart breakout it will mean a lot to the teams success. Lambert is highly skilled but hated by fans for having no heart.

Hamilton is getting a lot of skilled rookies this seaosn and will be fun to watch again. A lot depends on what moves the Habs make, cause there's too manyy bodies so a few guys have to play in Hamilton. Bouillon, Hainsey, Beauchemin, Ryder, Gratton, Higgins, Perezhogin all could make the NHL (not at the same time of course) but it depends on how many make the big club as to how well Hamilton will do.

Originally posted by Zowpeb

Nice work.

I'd have Plekanec ahead of Hossa though.

I'd also rate Archer higher then that.  The kid might not have much offensive ability but I think he's a lock as a good defensive d-man.  I honestly think he'll be on our NHL team within 2 years.

It's great when your biggest problem is how/where to rate so many good prospects...:))

Thanks. I'm a big Plekanec fan, he's got a ton of skill. His stickhandling is great to watch and he's smart with the puck. But his size is somewhat of a concern, and his overall strength is a concern. But if he gets stronger this year, I could see him getting some games in wiht the Habs sonner then later (not this season barring injuries).

Hossa I think has more skill and great size, but his lack of getting involved in the play is a major concern. I think he will overcome this, but it looks like he's afraid to get hit. He wont hold the puck long, he looks to pass to often, wont carry the puck for long streches, and needs to be better along the boards. But his skating, size, speed, and wrist shot are so good that it's hard to put him any lower. A tough call, cause other then his hot streak after being called up he never played very well again. But he was unreal in Hamilton before being called up, and this was after a slow start. There's no doubt he's highly skilled, but can he put it all to gether? I hope, if so we are that much better down the road.

:hlogo:

Great read... interesting as always.

Question: is this a ranking of where they are TODAY, or is this ranking of their POTENTIAL? Looks like "today" to me.

If it would have been potential... O'Byrne might belong in the top 3-5.

This guy is huge, noted for his impressive skating ability... so far sounds a lot like Komisarek.

But he's also know for playing with an "edge", which Komi is not, and to me that makes all the difference.

The only thing wrong with him is that he's 4-5 years away from helping us... unlike Komisarek who took 1.5 years from the time he was drafted to play in Montreal.

Also, Plekanec & Locke are both highly talented but smallish centers trying to make a team that is looking to get bigger.

If even just one makes it it would be surprising, two I think is impossible. Of the two, which one do you see having the best shot at making the Habs one day?

(I really like what I've seen of Plekanec, but I haven't seen Locke.. I hear he's not fast enough to survive in the pros, don't know if it's true, but his stats were just so damn impressive)

Similarly, Milroy Balej & Ryder are all small to fair sized RWers... looking to make a team that already has Zednik, Perezhogin, & Ward at RW right now. (let's forget Audette)

Which one do you see having the best chance to make the Habs eventually?

(to me Balej is only effective on the top lines and we already have Perezhogin & Zednik... so that leaves Milroy & Ryder. Ryder has played for CJ for a long time.. to me he has the edge.)

Originally posted by Habs77

Great read... interesting as always.

Question: is this a ranking of where they are TODAY, or is this ranking of their POTENTIAL? Looks like "today" to me.

If it would have been potential... O'Byrne might belong in the top 3-5.

This guy is huge, noted for his impressive skating ability... so far sounds a lot like Komisarek.

But he's also know for playing with an "edge", which Komi is not, and to me that makes all the difference.

The only thing wrong with him is that he's 4-5 years away from helping us... unlike Komisarek who took 1.5 years from the time he was drafted to play in Montreal.

Also, Plekanec & Locke are both highly talented but smallish centers trying to make a team that is looking to get bigger.

If even just one makes it it would be surprising, two I think is impossible. Of the two, which one do you see having the best shot at making the Habs one day?

(I really like what I've seen of Plekanec, but I haven't seen Locke.. I hear he's not fast enough to survive in the pros, don't know if it's true, but his stats were just so damn impressive)

Similarly, Milroy Balej & Ryder are all small to fair sized RWers... looking to make a team that already has Zednik, Perezhogin, & Ward at RW right now. (let's forget Audette)

Which one do you see having the best chance to make the Habs eventually?

(to me Balej is only effective on the top lines and we already have Perezhogin & Zednik... so that leaves Milroy & Ryder. Ryder has played for CJ for a long time.. to me he has the edge.)

It's kind of complicated, but I take just about everything into consideration when ranking these players. What makes it so tough is the Euro guys that I never get to see. That's why it should be taken with a grain of salt.

O'byrne is a tough one as the BCJHL is impossible to watch any games. I spoke with some fans and got mixed reviews. I watch him in Cornell, a team that had a great defensive system last season, and after watching them completely shutdown Yale (the top scoring team in the ECAC) I thought they could win it all. So hopefully he learns a few things at the big red.

Plekanec is short, but stocky, some increased strength and he should be in the NHL, IMO. Locke I got to give credit, he put up more points in the OHL then anyone I can remember in the last 10 years. Guys with that much skill you have to keep an eye on.

Milroy, Balej, and Ryder, may have to move to LW or stay in the AHL. Ryder can play both wings, and put up 40 + goals in the AHL, so he's closest to being NHL ready. Balej is entering his 2nd rookie pro season. (injuries and playing on a very deep team forced him to miss a lot of time, thus he should be looked at as a rookie in a way) Milroy will enter his 1st pro season. Milroy and Balej are a few years away, IMO, but both have good skills and flaws. If I had to pick one, Milroy would be my pick. He can play in all situatuions, while having a great wrist shot, and being very sound positionally. Balej has the speed and a cannon for a shot, but lacks hockey sense, strength, physical play, and isn't strong in his own end.