Theodore - Habs

CerebusClones

I am just curious here.

How many people here believe that we should hold on to Theodore to matter what? How many people believe that we should trade Theodore if the price is right? How many people believe we should trade Theodore before his value goes down?

So I guess this is a survey:

1. Theodore is our future, and he should die a habs.

2. If the price was right, I would let Theodore go.

3. Theodore is overrated, and should should trade him to get maximum value in return. ¡Viva el señor Garon!

I believe we have another great goalie situation and we should enjoy it until a team is desperate for a top goalie, and is willing to ive us some top young talent. Unlike last year, we dont' have a great backup like Hackett anyway so we shoudl wait.

However, unless Garon and our other propspects all fail to develop properly, I do believe Theodore will be traded eventually. Theodore will be asking for a lot of money for his next contract, and I seriously doubt Montreal will be willing able to afford it... and I also doubt the next CBA will shock the ecomics of the NHL enough to change that.

Well, let me start off by saying that everyone in the league can be had for the right price. Everyone.

If Vancouver offered Bertuzzi and Naslund for Theodore he'd be gone in a heartbeat. Obviously it would never happen though. But it shows that there is obviously a price that is on him.

Now, since that type of deal is ridiculous and won't happen it's pointless to discuss. I honestly believe that unless someone really knocked Gainey's socks off he won't deal Theodore...yet.

I believe that we should allow Garon to play about 30 games this year. If he shows that he can handle the NHL play and starts to challenge Theodore's job then a deal becomes more possible for next year.

Since no one is going to give us an amazing deal for Theodore right now we should hold him. We re-evaluate next year.

At that point the best case scenario is this: Garon, as many scouts think, IS better then Theodore and finally showing it. Theodore has another good year as well. We trade Theodore for a superstar player or two and our payroll doesn't increase as a result.

Most plausible scenario: Garon has an average season and Theodore rebounds to have another quality season. No change is made.

Personally, I don't think Garon is going to challenge Theodore's job this year. I think we will stick with Theodore till at least the last year of his current contract.

Interesting... so I guess you would vote for #2.

However, if we wait until the last year of his contract, AND we want to trade him, we wont get much in return. Superstars often leave on their last contract year, and teams get whatever they can in return so they don't lose the player for nothing... but other teams know that and they offer very little (average or disappointing prospects, journeymen, ...).

If we intend to trade Theodore, we should do it early enough to get maximum value in return (right before this year's trade deadline, during the off-season, beginning of the next year).

I vote for #2 , everyone has a price.

But I am against the idea of trading Theodore (unless the offer was AMAZING). How many players at his age have won the hart trophy? how many goalies have won the hart trophy? not many... Some people say 01-02 was a fluke , but it wasnt... if you look at his stats and have followed his play you'll know that he had been progressing and improving year after year.

Keep Theodore! He's a homegrown local superstar...

I like Theodore and think he will have a great season, but I wonder if we can afford him, as his next contract, and the one after will be costly. I wouldn't trade him unless the deal is that good, but I think someday he will be moved.

Well, all his stats really say is that he was a backup goalie for a a while, then had a decent year for a young goalie, then had an amazing year, and then he went back to decent.

I am not saying that Theodore is not great, but you just can't use his stats to prove that his big year was not a fluke, or to prove that he's been progressing year after year.

Although Im sure Theo will become one of the league's top goalies again.

---------------------------

slightly different topic

---------------------------

I always wondered if, a year ago, Florida would have been dumb enough to trade for Theo, and give us in return Luongo and maybe 2 those great kids they have.

We would have gotten a better goalie (although not as proven), and one or two more great prospects.

Just a dream...

Everyone is tradeable, if the price is right.

For the Habs, they are in a position of weakness regarding Theo right now, & Garon is still a little green, I say you wait.

Unless it was Theo who was pleading Gainey to trade him... I wouldn't do it.

Last summer Theo was the all the rave, he was on cloud 9, signing sponsors, thinking about how the negotiations would go (he was signed not long before camp). His head was elsewhere all summer.

This summer, I think he's more focused than ever. He was already mad about having a bad year... this scandal will just make him more mad, more focused to have a good year.

I expect to see the good old Theo of 01-02 this year.

He knows the fans only care about what you do on the ice. If you play great they love you, if you suck they hate you. (i.e. see Breezer)

Then once he's had a rebound year, if you think Garon has proven to be just as good for a lot cheaper... then you trade Theo for a boat load of 1st rate talent.

[Edited on 12-8-03 by Habs77]

Originally posted by CerebusClones

Well, all his stats really say is that he was a backup goalie for a a while, then had a decent year for a young goalie, then had an amazing year, and then he went back to decent.

I am not saying that Theodore is not great, but you just can't use his stats to prove that his big year was not a fluke, or to prove that he's been progressing year after year.

I think his stats and his play show that he has been improving year after year...

99-00 : 12-13-2 , 2.10 , .909 , 5so's

00-01 : 20-29-5 , 2.57 , .909 , 2

01-02 : 30-24-10 , 2.11 , .931 , 7

While the stats look like they go down in the 2nd year if you look closer at the picture you'll realize that 00-01 was one of the worst years in the history of the Canadiens franchise (we picked 7th overall that year) , we had loads of injuries ...

So imo Theodore has been improving year after year up until he won the hart trophy...

Anyways lets just hope he gets back to his old self in time for next year.