Game Breakers Next Season

TheAussiePosse

Pick 3 players who will make-or-break our 2003-2004 season.

My picks:

1.) Jose Theodore

2.) Sheldon Souray

3.) Perreault

-Jose is obvious. He plays good, we win. He plays bad, we don't win

-Sheldon is the most complete defencemen we have. If he's healthy, our top 4 could be quite strong (although nowhere near Detroit, NYI or COL).

- Right now, Yanic is the odd man out in the centres. I'd rather move Juneau, but Yanic doesn't seem happy put on the 3rd line (judegement made from end of last season). He could be good for us, or even better on another team. Only time will tell.

What are your picks?

- Theodore

- Koivu

- Audette

Theodore: well that's obvious, he's our best player, he plays the most important position in hockey... nobody will have a bigger say in how our season goes.

Koivu: last year was the first year since his rookie season that he was healthy all year... and this was after having a whole year off from NHL hockey.

Can he repeat such a feat?.. I hope so, but I sure wouldn't consider it a sure thing.

If we lose him for an extended period, we'll suffer big time.

Audette: Because of his contract we're stuck with him, and have to play him on the top lines.

If he regains his pre-injury form we'll suddenly have 2 offensive lines worthy of that title... if not he'll either render one of our top 2 lines inneffective or become a cancer if demoted, benched or sent down again and be a 3M$ waste.

P.S.

- Souray is nowhere near our best over-all defenseman... c'mon.

He sucked the whole time he was here, was rumored to be traded, then got hurt so could no longer be traded, then came back and had 2 good weeks.

What he's shown me is that he's capable of the best and the worst... more often the worst, more recently the best.

We'll see what he plays like after spending an eternity on the sidelines.

He's another Rivet, not nearly as physical as he should be considering his size, avoids fighting at all costs, limited offensive skill, plegued by wrist problems the last few years.

Only difference is one plays left, the other right.

- If Perreault falters Ribeiro is there... so I don't see Perreault as a key, not top 3 anyway.

1- Goalie Theodore

2- Forward Bulis

3- Defense Markov

1- obvious reason.. he is good we have a chance. he is so-so.. we're screw in deep sh!t

2- If his development take him to the next level we can have a decent 2nd line. If he is shaky and not reliable Saku will have a big burden to carry, our offensive will have all kind of difficulties.

3- We NEED to see the Andreï we saw on first half last year. If not.. we can forget our Powerplay and any chance to make the series. Forget that if Markov don't have a good year.

Those are the key players for next year IMO. If they do well, we have a chance to make the playoff. If they struggle... forget that.

When i said Sourayt is our most complete defensemen, i meant that he is more physical than Brisebois, even if he's not a scorer, and a harder shot than Quintal, even if he's not as big a hitter.

That's the reason I said "most complete" and not "best overall".

Markov is definitely the best overall defensemen, even if he isn't as physical as Rivet, Quintal or Souray.

Man, I would love to get Morris...

1. Saku Koivu.

I think many in Montreal are blinded by the things Koivu has done. But not what he has done in the NHL. We love him for his, sometimes, genious plays. We love in because he fought cancer.

But Saku is small and his body has not the right dimensions to be a first-line center in the NHL.

And like someone said. Last season was his first whole since the rookie year.

Koivu has to take his play one step further. At the same time he must stay healty.

2. Jose Theodore. A new Jim Carrey? I hope not. But Theodore must find his fighting spirit. Maybe he needs to feel presure. Maybe Garon could put that pressure on Theodore. But if Theodore turns out to be the next Carrey we are in deep shit. We have no given first goalie and we don't have someone to teach Garon...

3. The management. We need to trade. And we need a puck-transporting defenceman.