2021 World Juniors

DON

I enjoyed watching both of those goals.  The first one was a beauty one timer from his off wing. The backhander was really nice too.  I believe his skating is fine. The Mckeen's draft guide when discussing Cole's skating said "He has a very fast top speed and an explosive first few steps."

I saw a comment somewhere that Caufield had very little ice time in the first or second periods. And yet his line scored the first goal, and it looked to me as if he played pretty well. The totals for the second line are actually somewhat higher than for the first line. Maybe whoever said that had mixed up the numbers.

Overall, sloppy work by the Americans, the last two Russian goals were huge defensive errors. And Wolf didn't look good on the breakaway goal, either. They'll need to play better if the want to make it to the finals.

Caufield's ice time by period from last night: 2:58, 7:28, 7:27.  I suspect that second period collapse forced their hand to look at the offensive guys a bit more.

Mysak has looked good so far against Sweden.  The puck is on his stick a lot when he's on the ice.

That's super low for the first period. Is this the same coach that barely played him last year?

P.S. Where did you find the per-period ice time? Edit: Duh, it looks like I can select a single period on the WJC site. I should look more carefully!

NO OFFENCE?

NO OFFENCE???

OK its one shift ... against a lesser team that is reduced to 14 skaters ... but he spotted the opening and took advantage

Gooaaallll Guhle

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

NO OFFENCE?

NO OFFENCE???

OK its one shift ... against a lesser team that is reduced to 14 skaters ... but he spotted the opening and took advantage

Gooaaallll Guhle

And then he was held off the scoresheet on the rest of Canada's 15 goals.  That was one of the uglier games I've seen in recent memory.  Guhle was decent but it was hard not to be with Germany not being able to muster up much.

1 hour ago, Meller93 said:

What do you guys think about Caufield havin 0 points on 11 USA goals yesterday?

I didn’t watch it personally, but saw he had 6 shots. Was he just snake bitten?

He fumbled puck alot it seemed. Maybe go with old "he is gripping stick too tight". 

But had couple nice set ups and scoring chances.

He also had at least couple shot attempts just missing net.

I expect he will bury a few if he just keeps shooting. 

Am curious how Jan Mysak looked, nice he at least got a PPG in 7-1 beat down.

56 minutes ago, Neech said:

Always seems like bad luck for Canada to put up too bad of a beatdown on a minnow in the first game.  

Just hope they took the blow-out time to play whole roster and be a bit more rested for today's game.

Watching the Czech vs Russia game.  The Russians are getting real floppy in the 3rd while trailing.  Czech players can't touch a Russian player without the Russians falling and grasping on body parts.  It's embarrassing.

10 hours ago, DON said:

Just hope they took the blow-out time to play whole roster and be a bit more rested for today's game.

Canada needed to play hard for 60 minutes.

Consider... russian junior leagues and KHL have been playing, so has finland, so has sweden, so has the USHL and NCAA.

Ohl, whl havent played.  Quebec league tried but got shut down.  Many canadian players had no real hockey since March.

So hockey canada gave them a longer camp to try and get in shape.  Even then camp isnt game shape.  Then covid hit the camp and everyone was forced into isolation in their hotel rooms for 2 weeks.

Canada has 1 exhibition game and 4 round robin games to get into game shape before playing the playoffs where its one loss and done and they better come to play all 60 minutes 

I dont care if germany had 14 skaters and two goalies who couldnt make a save.  Canada needed to skate skate skate, includong playing the top 6 guys and top 4 d heavy minutes.  

You saw it today... a minnow gave them issues cause they had no legs... but better for them to get this endurance training and get into game shape now than to have the no legs come in the third period of a game next week.

• Upvote 1

Anyone else concerned that so far in the tournament, Caufield has 1G, 2A in 3 games but 1 assist was a secondary assist and the only goal was a cherry pick on the PP?  I understand the  hype about him, but last year and again this year, he isn't really visible?  A 73-10 shot game, 11-0 win for the USA, he put up 6 shot and absolutely no points?  I really hope my skepticism about him is wrong.  

8 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Anyone else concerned that so far in the tournament

Am not, no.

All three Hab prospects have looked OK.

Both Caufield and Guhle have fumbled puck at times, but am not "concerned".

8 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Anyone else concerned that so far in the tournament, Caufield has 1G, 2A in 3 games but 1 assist was a secondary assist and the only goal was a cherry pick on the PP?  I understand the  hype about him, but last year and again this year, he isn't really visible?  A 73-10 shot game, 11-0 win for the USA, he put up 6 shot and absolutely no points?  I really hope my skepticism about him is wrong.  

No, I don't worry about the guy who was leading the NCAA in points when he left for the tournament.

People really need to stop over rating the world juniors in terms of what it means for how good a prospect will be.  Its a two week tourney with strange lineups and linemates that you may or may not have chemistry with. 

Just cause its on tv doesn't mean its more important than what these guys are doing in the NCAA or their other regular teams. 

On top of that, he's been very dangerous in the tournament, and a bit snake bit in terms of luck. 

I see Mysak listed by IIHF as 6'0" vs 5'10" on NHL.com

and Guhle as 209lbs vs 187lb

Just curious is both have grown very recently? Mysak seemed taller than 5'10".

24 minutes ago, DON said:

I see Mysak listed by IIHF as 6'0" vs 5'10" on NHL.com

and Guhle as 209lbs vs 187lb

Just curious is both have grown very recently? Mysak seemed taller than 5'10".

I've heard the 209 lbs number for Guhle a fair bit.  Teams may have had to submit that info to the IIHF so they may have the more updated info.

It’s been a bit discouraging so far... I understand he’s young, inexperienced and needs time to develop. My concerns are not the lack of scoring but more all the giveaways! He’s constantly turning the puck over almost every time. He’s nowhere NHL ready, more like 2/3 years in Laval? Wish the kid all the best  and hope he proves people like me wrong. 

20 minutes ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

It’s been a bit discouraging so far... I understand he’s young, inexperienced and needs time to develop. My concerns are not the lack of scoring but more all the giveaways! He’s constantly turning the puck over almost every time. He’s nowhere NHL ready, more like 2/3 years in Laval? Wish the kid all the best  and hope he proves people like me wrong. 

Hey, we’ll see. There’s a reason I’m generally cautious about prospects. So many fans pencil them in to jump into the lineup and be instant stars, but I’ve seen quite a few heavily-hyped prospects come to nothing, or next to nothing, in my time. Caulfield wouldn’t be the first.

21 minutes ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

He has a possible two more years in the NCAA ... guess he would have his over-ager year of CHL eligibility if Habs won't sign him and he wants to leave Wisconsin ... contract management (i.e., 50 contract limit) could always play into what MB does, although he has lots of space next summer ... and I expect it would make Caufield unhappy to not go pro at the end of this NCAA season, or at least next fall ...

I agree that he likely will need a year in Laval ... he is a good prospect but no Crosby/McDavid-like sure thing

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

He has a possible two more years in the NCAA ... guess he would have his over-ager year of CHL eligibility if Habs won't sign him and he wants to leave Wisconsin ... contract management (i.e., 50 contract limit) could always play into what MB does, although he has lots of space next summer ... and I expect it would make Caufield unhappy to not go pro at the end of this NCAA season, or at least next fall ...

I agree that he likely will need a year in Laval ... he is a good prospect but no Crosby/McDavid-like sure thing

If the habs don’t sign him by Aug 15, isn’t he a UFA?