2021 World Juniors

DON

5 hours ago, dlbalr said:

He's a college player so the Habs get four years.  His deadline is August 15, 2023.

http://www.habsworld.net/2010/09/habs-prospect-signing-deadlines/

Is that a new change? I thought players coming from the ushl program it was 2 years after college.  Wasn’t Wheeler an UFA after two years in college?

never mind - I checked Hockey reference DB. Don’t know why I thought he was a UFA 2 years after draft.

3 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

For anyone who isn't watching the Finalnd Sweden game, you are missing the best game of the tournament so far. 

That was playoff-intensity hockey, to be sure, with two well-matched teams.

Not that it would of changed the outcome of the game, but that disallowed Russian goal should of counted.  It really appeared as if the Russian player's skate was touching the blue line before the puck crossed, possession wasn't even a question as I believe the rule states the player himself has to be the player in possession, not his team, which he clearly was not.  Too close to call for such an important game.  You know the Russins are gonna be screaming official bias with a call like that.

I'm going by the angles showed in the replay, I didn't see an ice-level shot of it.

Yeah, I would have let that go, too. It might have been a closer game but I can't believe that the Russians would have been able to score four more.

I'm personally finding the USA-Finland game to be more exciting. (As a bonus, a nice chance for Caufield at the start, though he has been less visible after that.)

14 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Not that it would of changed the outcome of the game, but that disallowed Russian goal should of counted.  It really appeared as if the Russian player's skate was touching the blue line before the puck crossed, possession wasn't even a question as I believe the rule states the player himself has to be the player in possession, not his team, which he clearly was not.  Too close to call for such an important game.  You know the Russins are gonna be screaming official bias with a call like that.

I'm going by the angles showed in the replay, I didn't see an ice-level shot of it.

It was offside, his blade was in the air and he didnt' have control

Shitty call cause it happened over 40 seconds before the goal, but it was offside by the rule that the IIHF is using. 

9 minutes ago, Commandant said:

It was offside, his blade was in the air and he didnt' have control

Ah, it was in the air! I didn't spot that on the replays, and I was watching with the sound off! :)

10 minutes ago, Commandant said:

It was offside, his blade was in the air and he didnt' have control...

Just now, tomh009 said:

Ah, it was in the air! I didn't spot that on the replays, and I was watching with the sound off! :)

Thankfully the NHL is getting rid of the "skate off the ice" BS this season

Poor Guhle got flattened by some Russian, he still tentative with puck, but seems to play smart and defend well.

Hopefully his puck skills are better than shown and is simply a younger guy a bit over his head?

Hoping for a 10-3 blowout with hat trick for both Caufield and Guhle!

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I didn’t see an angle that clearly showed it off the ice either.  The ones that were broadcasted all looked like the toe of his skate may of touched the line.

From what I saw it looked very inconclusive.

Canada has been so ridiculously dominant that I've found it hard to get excited about this tournament. This extends to the gold medal game, which is probably a foregone conclusion. This must have been how it felt watching the Habs in 1977.

25 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Canada has been so ridiculously dominant that I've found it hard to get excited about this tournament. This extends to the gold medal game, which is probably a foregone conclusion. This must have been how it felt watching the Habs in 1977.

Watch Caufield come alive in the gold medal game and bury everything.

56 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

My 1st memories as  a kid were of the evil Bernie Parent, Dornhoffer, Leach, Barber, Shultz etc beating up on the Habs.

So when they swept them in 76 and Bruins in 77, i was needless to say quite pumped. But after that, yes it was different and they simply were expected to win and win easy.

Wow, the States have our number.  Four straight wins over us in the Gold medal game.  Kept us to the outside the whole time, even after Canada started coming on strong.  At one point the shots were 19-10 for the USA - they finished 34-21 for Canada.  

Once again my perpetual nitpick - not having the sixth attacker on the ice for the faceoff with two minutes left.  He should be out there to secure the puck, we shouldn't wait for a faceoff win before sending him out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Guhle and Caufield both looked great 

Guhle didnt look so great on 1st goal and seemed his pairing got penned in own end often. I thought he looked OK, next year he will hopefully be a leader on that team and play a much bigger role.

Caufield again looked OK, wouldnt say great, seemed similar to last year IMO.