What would you give up for Smyth?

Habby1197

Ryan smith looks like he's up for a big raise... maybe too much for the Oilers. He's exactly the forward we need... the question is what would you give up for him? I'd Send Hossa, Ribs and Dykhuis. That would fit both our needs... wow I love our lines with Smyth.

Smyth-Koivu-Audette

Bulis-Perreault-Zednik

Sundstrom-Juneau-Ward

4th line who cares.....

Just Juneau being there bugs me but he'll be gone soon enough.

I said another day that it would be a disaster to trade our prospects for superstars (ex.: modano, guerin..). But for Ryan Smyth! That's a whole different thing. He's only 26 and would fit well in our long term plan. He would be a positive influence for the bunch of rookies coming in the next 3 years. He's a model a coach dream to have.. his intensity, devotion, combined with good skills. We have talented prospects coming up.. they need good models like Saku and Ryan, talented players with a great intensity level. Intensity has been the major problem in our team for too many years. It's time for a change. The presence of Ryan Smyth could energize Richard Zednik (he won't feel alone). Also, it fills Petrov absence.. a speedy exciting player (only difference is that Ryan has a scoring touch :/) )

The big question. Humm.. how much would we be able to give? First, we have to forget any high paid players or veterans like Brisebois, Perreault.. Since Edmonton was our partner with Hamilton the last years.. they probably know better than any other team the really good prospects we have.

I'd give: Ribeiro, Hainsey and Ward for Smyth

Yes maybe it's a lot.. but we won't get any good 26 years old leader for juneau and Traverse.

:/)

I'd rather trade away Hossa and Hainsey than Ribeiro.

Smyth would be a replacement for Hossa, not for Ribs.

And if we traded Perreault in the future, the lineup could look like this:

Smyth-Koivu-Audette

Bulis-Ribeiro-Zednik

Sundstrom-Juneau-Ward

Dwyer-Kilger-Dackell

But I don't think it will happen. Georges (Laraque) doesn't want to come to Montreal because of the media, and he's pretty good friends with Ryan.

Still, it would be a dream come true. I'd take him over Kovalev, and that's saying something!

Why do people keep inclusing Hainsey in every potential trade? Hainsey is a big part of our future, and for the first time in a long time, the Habs will have a great defense with Markov, Komisarek, and Hainsey as a top 3. Hainsey is big, talented, and has some attitude.

Now I realize that to get something, you have to give up something good, but I just think trading any of our future big 3 is a no-no... unless the return would be incredible of course.

I think a package including Hossa and Ribeiro would be a good start to please the Oilers. Im not sure who else we could include, maybe Shasby, but just not Hainsey.

I'd give 'em Balej & Sundstrom, if they want Perreault, Dackell, Dykhuis no problem... but that's about it.

After seeing how they GAVE Carter to NYR, I don't see why we'd pay any more for a player with less value due to his injury history.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=50598

The 27 year old is scheduled to make $3.45-million this season and $3.55-million next year plus bonuses.  

"Smytty has been with the Oilers for his entire career, and we clearly wanted that relationship to continue," said general manager Kevin Lowe. "The trouble with the arbitration process is that it takes a team's budget control out of its' hands, and now with this compromise, Smytty can continue to be a vital component on our team."

"I'm very happy with this deal, especially since we didn't have to go through the arbitration process," said Smyth. "I've been an Oilers fan since I was a kid, and there isn't any other team I'd rather be with.

"I'm an Edmontonian through and through, and this is wonderful for my family and me."

Sounds like he won't be dealt... I'm not too sad, I didn't want him that badly with all the injuries this guy gets.

At least the Rangers didn't get him too, so that's something ;)

[Edited on 14-8-03 by Habs77]