Habs former #1 defence

PurpleHills

Yeah you guessed it, Sheldon Souray. We all know what Sheldon Souray is capable of doing. And we all know that he is not looking like that Norris candidate he looked like a couple of years ago. Let's face it, he really sucks this year. I don't know weather it's his off-ice problems ( who wouldn't be distracted after a divorce with a women like that ?), or if it's the new NHL rules. One thing that I'm sure of is that Souray is capable of doing way better. Just think if we had Markov, Rivet playing the way they are and souray playing the way we know he can!! It would be amazingly hard to score goals against us. But how will Souray get back to his old form?? Patience. I urge all of you habs fans to stop booing Sheldon Souray. You will turn him into another Brisebois. Brisebois sucked more and more because he was afraid to make a mistake instead of aggresively trying to play hard. He knew that every mistake he made would add to the booing that he already experienced on a a nightly basis. If the booing continues with Sheldon Souray, he will lose his value. We will end up trading him for garbage, and he'll become an all-star on another team.

BE Patient, stop booing him and give him the support he deserves !!!

Who has been booing him?

I haven't heard anything over the radio...So far it's basically been different levels of cheering. Dags gets his name announced, everyone claps. One of the rookies gets announced, everyone claps and yells a bit. Kovalev, Koivu, or Zednik get announced, the ceiling nearly gets blown off.

Also, I doubt you'll find anyone booing Souray here at Habsworld. Post this at the Canadiens official forum.

[Edited on 2005/11/10 by Trizzak]

Originally posted by PurpleHills

Yeah you guessed it, Sheldon Souray. We all know what Sheldon Souray is capable of doing. And we all know that he is not looking like that Norris candidate he looked like a couple of years ago. Let's face it, he really sucks this year. I don't know weather it's his off-ice problems ( who wouldn't be distracted after a divorce with a women like that ?), or if it's the new NHL rules. One thing that I'm sure of is that Souray is capable of doing way better. Just think if we had Markov, Rivet playing the way they are and souray playing the way we know he can!! It would be amazingly hard to score goals against us. But how will Souray get back to his old form?? Patience. I urge all of you habs fans to stop booing Sheldon Souray. You will turn him into another Brisebois. Brisebois sucked more and more because he was afraid to make a mistake instead of aggresively trying to play hard. He knew that every mistake he made would add to the booing that he already experienced on a a nightly basis. If the booing continues with Sheldon Souray, he will lose his value. We will end up trading him for garbage, and he'll become an all-star on another team.

BE Patient, stop booing him and give him the support he deserves !!!

Amen, keep them boos for the game on dec 03. That day the new french canadien favourite -sean "the smart one" avery- will visit the bell centre.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here since no one on this site is booing Souray, but I think it merits reminders that Brisebois developed an irregular hearbeat due to stress from getting booed. As much as we all love hockey, it's a sport people, let's not cause off-ice problems because of it.

Originally posted by kaos

Actually I thought he had been playing a little better of late. Not exactly where he was the last time they played, but definitly has adjusted somewhat.

i feel I have been seeing this as well. At the very least, I'm not seeing him make as many mistakes.

(of course I only get to watch every other game... It costs me like $10 in beer to watch a game so I usually just listen...)

[Edited on 11/10/2005 by simonus]

Originally posted by simonus
Originally posted by kaos

Actually I thought he had been playing a little better of late. Not exactly where he was the last time they played, but definitly has adjusted somewhat.

i feel I have been seeing this as well. At the very least, I'm not seeing him make as many mistakes.

(of course I only get to watch every other game... It costs me like $10 in beer to watch a game so I usually just listen...)

[Edited on 11/10/2005 by simonus]

He's definitely coming around. When I think back to the way he was playing at the start of the season to recently there is noticeable improvement

Patrice Brisebois #71 D

Colorado

DOB: Jan 27, 1971

Place of Birth: Montreal, Que., Canada

HT: 6-2 WT: 203

Shoots: R

NHL Seasons: 14

Drafted by Montreal in 1989 (2/30).

BRISEBOIS IS HOT

9 pts in last 9 GP

Year GP G A Pts +/- PIM Shots Sh%

05-06 14 5 6 11 +4 12 19 26.32

GWG GTG SHG SHA PPG PPA

1 0 0 1 2 2

I think a lot of the "disapointment" about Sourray steams from the belief that he is a number 1 dman based on a half a season of point shots going in. Sourray is a valuable dman, but is not and never was number 1 dman material. Even he seems to have trouble with this and has consistently been trying to play above his head this year. I think Sourray is a 3-4 dman. If he is used that way and recognized as such, he should be fine (albeit he could also benefit to adding more to his point game than simply shooting, Dagenais fashion, any puck that is remotely close to him).

You'r right PurpleHill that if Sheldon's play was up to his last season's standard it would rather look pretty good in combination with the level our other defencements are playing this year.

An overwhelming majority of us are crossing their fingers for that to happen yet a few fans sitting way up there in the blue section have started booing him lately,...even Theodore might have had a little taste of it too.....which, wether we agree on the relevance of such impatience by some fans, it confort me to see that the booing is not ethnocentrically biased but performance based.

At the very least we can say that the sound of impatience as been directed at players under-performing their reciprocal role and salary......some signs of rationnality after all.

But is this whipping a player out of possible complacency effective?

In short dose it can well be, but in any otherway it become detrimental and counter productive just as you suggested.

I tend to hate any of it myself yet I dont invest as much time and money the way some fans at the Bells do and therefore run less of a risk to be irritated when things are not going so well.........basically I am at ease as long as I feel that the team is supported by a good GM and a good coach,. but I have learn to let go when fans or players are acting differently than I would wish them to be.