Habs Sign Corey Perry

Commandant

I like this signing.  Worse case is a taxi squad guy, best case is a Kovalchuk-esque reclamation project.  Low risk, if he can throw up 20+ points in the absolute best case scenario, he can be flipped at the deadline barring a playoff run.  Absolute worse case is he sits on the taxi squad.

36 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I like this signing.  Worse case is a taxi squad guy, best case is a Kovalchuk-esque reclamation project.  Low risk, if he can throw up 20+ points in the absolute best case scenario, he can be flipped at the deadline barring a playoff run.  Absolute worse case is he sits on the taxi squad.

Don't k now that he is a reclamation project ... Kovy was expected to score but he played his way off the Kings ... Perry was on the 2nd unit of Dallas' PP last season, regular season and playoffs ... he is not a 20g/82gm scorer any longer ... but scored 5 goals in 27 playoff games last seasons, including 3 against TBL in the Finals ... has a specific role that he can fill ... I see him as a regular on the 4th line 

Wonder if Frolic will be used to spell Perry when there are back-to-backs?

It would be wonderful if Perry could become Poehling's mentor ... Corey has the experience as an elite player but his work ethic and "edge" have allowed him to have an important role even after the goals largely disappeared ... I think he could impart much to RP

This is the most depth team we have had in 20 years. This is what I have been taking about when it comes to depth. Plus we now have 9 guys on this team who have won a cup. Great job Bergevin finally adding smart depth players.  It is now up to the players and coaches but i do believe this is a playoff team.

Like I said in another thread, the 2021 Habs are shaping up much like those boot-sandwich Habs teams of the 1980s. Big, strong, ill-tempered, a nightmare to play against, with lots of depth, and backed by a stellar goalie. 

While I prefer up-tempo high-skill hockey, this kind of bruising and relentless game can go a mighty long way toward success. Sure, there are question marks, of which KK is the biggest; but basically I’m a believer in this roster. The Habs are going to surprise a lot of people this year.

Still lacking any McDavid, Draisaitl, Peterrson, Matthews, Marner- type up front.

Another guy ready for retirement not gonna change much, but no risk so what the heck.

Just now, DON said:

Still lacking any McDavid, Draisaitl, Peterrson, Matthews, Marner- type up front.

Another guy ready for retirement not gonna change much, but no risk so what the heck.

Yeah, that’s why I think the parallel with those ‘80s teams is apposite. Those teams lacked elite offensive talent as well.

The Perry signing is about depth. What’s appealing about it is how it fits the profile of the team we’ve constructed, which is full of big bodies (along with Gally, LOL) who are unpleasant to play against.

Very happy with this signing. I’ve always wanted him on the Habs. These are the types of players needed throughout a deep playoff run. I’m sure he is hungry for the cup after last season. 

28 minutes ago, DON said:

Ok and how many cups have those team's won with those players 🤔.

This team can run 4 lines now, has added depth in case of injuries. Which means this team shouldn't do it's yearly nose dive when it gets hit with injuries. Plus we have added cup winner's to this team players that know what it takes to win.  Should be an interesting team to watch play.

• Upvote 1

^^ it’s a good thing that those 5 players are spread out over only 3 teams. We already know the Oilers and Leafs won’t do anything, so now all we have to worry about are the Canucks, and Peterson.

Oh and I love how everyone forgets about Suzuki 😁

Sure, now in one sentence Perry and Simmonds will be sharing war stories due to their age, and in the next, Suzuki will be considered unproven because of his baby-like age.

Suzuki for PPG player👌

It is wildly premature to slot Suzuki in as a PPG or elite offensive player. He may become that - maybe this year, maybe some future year. But no sensible analyst would say, “yes, the Habs have an elite offensive talent akin to Marner or Dreiseitl because they have Suzuki.” 🙄 Wish-fulfillment is not analysis. Right now he is a 13-goal, 41-point guy with lots of upside; he’ll be a PPG player when he is one, not before.

That said, there is no doubt in my mind that the kid is a legit top-6 C and seems a safe bet to get 60+ points. He should be a key part of scoring by committee this year.

KK is a much bigger question mark. He had a nice but not stellar rookie season and a disastrous sophomore year. In short, he basically has a grand total of 10 impact NHL games under his belt in two seasons. My guess is that he will oscillate between 3rd- and 2nd-line C this season and may go through long spells of frustration where he looks ineffectual. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It is wildly premature to slot Suzuki in as a PPG or elite offensive player. He may become that - maybe this year, maybe some future year. But no sensible analyst would say, “yes, the Habs have an elite offensive talent akin to Marner or Dreiseitl because they have Suzuki.” 🙄 Wish-fulfillment is not analysis. Right now he is a 13-goal, 41-point guy with lots of upside; he’ll be a PPG player when he is one, not before.

That said, there is no doubt in my mind that the kid is a legit top-6 C and seems a safe bet to get 60+ points. He should be a key part of scoring by committee this year.

KK is a much bigger question mark. He had a nice but not stellar rookie season and a disastrous sophomore year. In short, he basically has a grand total of 10 impact NHL games under his belt in two seasons. My guess is that he will oscillate between 3rd- and 2nd-line C this season and may go through long spells of frustration where he looks ineffectual. 

Exactly ... there is a difference between what is reasonable to expect from NS & KK THIS season and what a player may become in 2021/22 or beyond ... and being realistic rather than overly optimistic for the 20/21 season does not in any way mean someone doesn't like the player or may not have high hopes/expectations longer term.

2 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Suzuki for PPG player👌

I think dlbalr guess of 0.70ppg is more realistic.

2 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Ok and how many cups have those team's won with those players 🤔.

Seeing as they are all in early-mid 20s is kinda lame point, and do you disagree that McDavid, Matthews, Marner, etc arnt vastly superior to any forward on the Habs? MacKinnon, Makar and crew havent won a cup neither, but are also still much more a contender than Habs are.

Scoring by committee is how Habs will have to hope to win (need all the stars to align to go deep in playoffs), but Perry i cant see will help with that and is now too slow ("they" say) to forecheck, wont be on the PP or PK, so what good is he. 

I dont buy that the size and grit that Bergevin seems to be going for, is going to be winning recipe.:spamafote:

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Like I said in another thread, the 2021 Habs are shaping up much like those boot-sandwich Habs teams of the 1980s. Big, strong, ill-tempered, a nightmare to play against, with lots of depth, and backed by a stellar goalie. 

While I prefer up-tempo high-skill hockey, this kind of bruising and relentless game can go a mighty long way toward success. Sure, there are question marks, of which KK is the biggest; but basically I’m a believer in this roster. The Habs are going to surprise a lot of people this year.

I agree, they still lack a Chris Nilan to be the 1980's team I liked but they certainly are bigger, heavier and should still play up-tempo hockey and score more.

I am fine with Perry's addition. I can't wait for training camp to start to get a better idea of how the team will look on the ice

18 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

I think all this team needs is a veteran 4th line center to round everything out.

I also think Weber needs a better partner, need a better PP, need a better PK and could really use a scorer in the top 20.

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I’m good with this signing.  He’s not signed to fill big holes on the offense and the term/$ are fine if he does nothing.  This isn’t like signing a washed up Semin when the team lacked scoring in its top 6 and this a much risky signing than the high risk/reward Anderson contract.

at the end of the day though, the following three factors will be the key for this year’s success:

1. Suzuki/KK sustaining ir building on their play in the playoffs

2. The signings on D work out to improve D, or Romanov making an immediate impact in improving the D

3. Allan coming and becoming a  guy who can win 50% or more of his games as a backup and take the load of Price. With a shortened season with a lot of back to backs, Allan is going to be critical.

I like our wingers. I think with Taffoli/Tatar/Gallagher we have wingers that have a track record for scoring, Anderson has the potential, but because of injuries hasn’t proven yet that he is a guy you can count on being a top 6. With his contract, I hope he is.  Drouin has the potential, but again he needs to show he can be counted on by showing some consistency.  Armia and Lekhonan are good 3rd line/4th line options.  I think this is the most depth we have had on the wing in decades. 

I’m still not sold on the D - would have preferred at least of Chariot/Edmondson/Kulak being a more legitimate top pairing dman.

like I said earlier, we have the potential to be strong at centre, but at least one of Suzuki or KK have to sustain the level of play they showed in the playoffs that they are capable of.

having said that we should be a playoff team and we built to do some damage with some of our upgrades and depth signings, even though some of those depth players can’t skate like you’d want in today’s NHL, but than we aren’t expecting the Perry or Frolik from 10 years ago and I would hope the rest of the lineup is strong enough that they wouldn’t be playing in the same game.

9 minutes ago, DON said:

I also think Weber needs a better partner, need a better PP, need a better PK and could really use a scorer in the top 20.

I agree about the better partner for Weber. I think our PP should be much better with the additions. If they aren’t we have a coaching issue. The PK should also be improved, but the PP should be MUCH better.

id also like a a top 20 scorer - it’s been forever since we’ve had one (it’s been what 12-14 years since we had one).  Having said that, I don’t think one is critical for this year and I don’t think we can get one unless we are picking in the top 3 in the right year or trade for one.  That was my biggest gripe about the Domi trade.  I would have hoped he could have been packaged for more impactful and sure thing than Anderson is and it would have been nice to get someone with the potential to be a PPG player.  The guy I was hoping for was Laine and he wasn’t traded, so who knows if he has as really available or not.

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

I think all this team needs is a veteran 4th line center to round everything out.

Brian Boyle?

Derick Brassard?  ... likely waiting for Lou to step up ... but how long will he wait?   Expected to sign with Arizona

6 hours ago, Commandant said:

Hes no longer the hart trophy candidate Corey Perry... but hes still an A-1 level asshole on the ice.  This team needed another asshole.

Watching the Oilers a lot meant I got to see Corey Perry play a lot. I couldn't stand him. He is most definitely an A-1 level asshole on the ice, a guy that loves going to the dirty areas.  To say he plays with an edge is an understatement.   Not much downside with this signing.  The Habs have some great mentors for the young guys.