Too Many Men on the Ice

GOHABSGO22

Because I have no life, here are some interesting stats.

Total Bench Penalties: 6

During the:

1st Period: 2

2nd Period: 2

3rd Period: 1

OT:1

Against:

Leafs: 3

Ottawa: 1

Buffalo: 1

Penguins: 1

Thus, 5 of the 6 bench penalties were taken against division rivals.

Day of the week:

Saturday: 4

Thursday: 2

At:

Home: 3

Away: 3

So there you have it! 6 bench penalties in 18 games is a bench penalty taken every 3 games. This is obviously something Claude Julien has to address.

Originally posted by Macaskill

During the:

Against:

Day of the week:

At:

So there you have it! 6 bench penalties in 18 games is a bench penalty taken every 3 games. This is obviously something Claude Julien has to address.

excellent stats they gave me a headache

Originally posted by JeanLucPilon
Originally posted by Macaskill

During the:

Against:

Day of the week:

At:

excellent stats they gave me a headache

Only 21 more bench penalties to go!

it's inexcusable to give the Leafs(2nd best PP in the league) this many opportunities on the power-play, and absolutely unforgivable to take a "too many men on the ice" penalty in OVERTIME!

Their power-play and Bryan McCabe are all the Leafs have going for them this season, and the Habs just gave them chance after chance tonight.

Oh well we still get a point, and in April when it's all said and done that's all that really matters I guess.

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

I think you guys are missing the point

The game never should have got to 4:00 of overtime. Montreal should have finished them off in the 3rd.

15 PP shots, 1 goal. That is more of a concern.

You're right, but this topic is talking more in general... not just on the fact that it was this penalty that gave Toronto the extra push they needed to win the game.

To have this many bench penalties already in the season is certainly something that needs to be worked on. To me it's a useless way to go down a man. Sure accidents happen and you're bound to screw up a couple of times, but this is just a bit much.

I suppose the reason for the increase in bench penalties can be indirectly linked to the new rules. With more flow added to the game, there are fewer whistles, resulting in more on-the-fly line changes. Thus, extra opportunities to screw up are bound to occur.

Agh, I'm too tired for this, hehe :P

This is Juliens fault. He's got to get his ass and his head wired together. Thats complete bullshit. He can't seem to motivate some of these players for 60 mins, and now another too many men penalty that now costs them a game. Smarten the ###### up Julien

Originally posted by GOHABSGO22

How many too many men on the ice penalties have the Habs had so far this year?

[Edited on 11-13-05 by Fanpuck33]

A league-leading 6.

3 in our last 4 games.

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie
Originally posted by GOHABSGO22

How many too many men on the ice penalties have the Habs had so far this year?

[Edited on 11-13-05 by Fanpuck33]

A league-leading 6.

3 in our last 4 games.

Kudos to TSN for figuring it out... but folks, you heard it here first ;).

MSC - Macaskill's Sports Center! :/)

Heh, it was Red Fisher who figured it out for me:D You think TSN follows the Habs? All I heard about the Habs this morning on TSN was that when the Habs do well, the fans come and when the Habs are losing, the fans forget about them and attendance drops. What?

Originally posted by kaos

This is Juliens fault.  He's got to get his ass and his head wired together.  Thats complete bullshit.  He can't seem to motivate some of these players for 60 mins, and now another too many men penalty that now costs them a game.  Smarten the ###### up Julien

Enough already it's easy to blame Julian but he's not the one whose physically changing. The players have been changing on the fly since "Novice" and I blame them for sloppy changes.

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

Heh, it was Red Fisher who figured it out for me:D You think TSN follows the Habs? All I heard about the Habs this morning on TSN was that when the Habs do well, the fans come and when the Habs are losing, the fans forget about them and attendance drops. What?

Good Man! I saw an article on TSN.com that said the same stats, hehe. Guess it was on everybody's mind.

Originally posted by olematelot

This is Juliens fault.  He's got to get his ass and his head wired together.  Thats complete bullshit.  He can't seem to motivate some of these players for 60 mins, and now another too many men penalty that now costs them a game.  Smarten the ###### up Julien

Enough already it's easy to blame Julian but he's not the one whose physically changing. The players have been changing on the fly since "Novice" and I blame them for sloppy changes.

It's hard for us to judge who exactly is at fault - either a player f'd up, or Julien wasn't clear with who was supposed to go out. More likely the former than the latter. Either way, when a bench penalty costs us points in the standings, its a big problem and needs attention.

NO its not the players, obviously you know nothing about hockey. The coach is the one telling the players when there up. Ever seen the coach tapping the players on the shoulders. ITs him telling them there up next, and where there playing. Obviously he tapped one too many guys, or changed a combination of players and forgot to tell somebody. And when it happens 6 times in 15 games its a problem that needs to be looked at and needs to be fixed. The Canadiens are not a team that can afford such stupid penalties. This one cost them

NO its not the players, obviously you know nothing about hockey. The coach is the one telling the players when there up. Ever seen the coach tapping the players on the shoulders. ITs him telling them there up next, and where there playing. Obviously he tapped one too many guys, or changed a combination of players and forgot to tell somebody. And when it happens 6 times in 15 games its a problem that needs to be looked at and needs to be fixed. The Canadiens are not a team that can afford such stupid penalties. This one cost them

Excuse me, I don't consider myself an expert by any means, I've been playing and watching hockey for about 50 years and do know a little about it, not as quite as much as you obviously. Julian probably told which 4 players were up next and then 2 of them jumped on to replace 1, this I believe was the probable scenario. Once Julian has made his selection of who is to go next he has other things to concentrate on and should be able to leave it up to these professionals to carry out his orders. I guess he is ultimately to blame if they don't do what he told them.

i'm not an expert. i didn't learn to skate til i was thirty and play floor hockey more like basketball...

but, isn't it possible to figure out exactly who is the flawed extra man for each of the penalties? Is it always a different player or is there a pattern? At least one was bad luck in that the puck hit the player that was going off after his replacement stepped on. Is this a problem with players not hustling off or with players too anxious to get out there?

Originally posted by mrgodo

i'm not an expert. i didn't learn to skate til i was thirty and play floor hockey more like basketball...

but, isn't it possible to figure out exactly who is the flawed extra man for each of the penalties? Is it always a different player or is there a pattern? At least one was bad luck in that the puck hit the player that was going off after his replacement stepped on. Is this a problem with players not hustling off or with players too anxious to get out there?

I'm sure the team knows exactly who was at fault each time, but it's not something they'll disclose, of course. (Don Cherry still refuses to identify the player that cost them the penalty in Game 7 vs. the Habs in '79. He has taken responsibility for it. I respect him for that, but that's it!)

For Saturday's game, RDS pointed the finger at Bouillon, for what it's worth. I couldn't care less who it is at this point - as long as it doesn't happen again!

I'm sure the team knows exactly who was at fault each time, but it's not something they'll disclose, of course. (Don Cherry still refuses to identify the player that cost them the penalty in Game 7 vs. the Habs in '79. He has taken responsibility for it. I respect him for that, but that's it!)

And rightly so Cherry should take responsibility for it. He's the bench boss and needs to know whats going on.

When a defensman misses a check in front of the net, does the coach get blamed? No, the defenseman who missed his assignment catches the blame. Giving crystal clear instructions is what Julien is there for and obviously he messed up that one. He must have. They are the most penalized team in the league for Bench Minors....Somebody needs to pay attention to this, and the blame has to be put somewhere. That includes if the players aren't listening to him...then make them listen