Open-door Theodore's Play

lovethehabs

Theodore's play continues to be inconsistent at best. With consistent goaltending, this team is the tops in the League. For those who defend Theodore, by using expletives and refernece to national origins to insult other Habs Fans, that is disgusting. Everyone is entitled to a comment on the game while respecting the opinion of others. Some of us want this organization to progress and that can only happen by accepting the reality of the performance. Theodore is capable of better play, but just accepting "doing fine" from a former multi-awards winner is not good enough. This guy must be held accountable. Play Danis for a couple of games. For the well-versed, when offering opinions on the game try to raise the intelligence level beyond profanity. A great team is headed on the down-slide if the goaltending does not improve. The shot totals and save percentages for most of the Habs games speak for themselves. This team outplays the opposition most nights and still loses games like the one against the Leafs last night - Goaltending.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all due respect, I thought Theodore has played very well the last 1-2 weeks. He isn't giving up the rebounds he was at the beginning of the year, plays very square and isn't going down as fast. Last night I actually thought he also played well.

His defense was lousy in front of him. A shorthanded breakaway (he had already stoned all-world Sundin on a breakaway), a two on one at the ed of the second that if the D had played correctly should have been just a 2 on2 at best. The tieing goal was a fluke (over the net) and the winner was a howitzer one-timer that caught the top corner.

Last nights game they should have won. But it wasn't Theos fault.

Theodore's been playing pretty well recently. He had a few amazing games and last night was his first bad game in a week or two.

Okay, Allison's goal was not his fault at all. Atleast he was alert and moved as soon as the puck hit him. Reminds me of an OT save in 2003-04 versus Carolina when the puck was rolling on his back and he caught it in his glove. The major difference being that he caught it last time but it was a lucky goal.

Wellwood's goal was a nice passing play and wasn't his fault. Ponikarovsky had a bad shot and he definitely should have caught it but you can't really blame him because it was a shorthanded breakaway; the goalie's last to blame on this one.

I do have a problem with McCabe's PP goal though. It was a normal slapshot, Theo saw it but he was just slow getting across. Something that doesn't happen very often.

O'Neill's goal was a 4-on-3 but he was still out of position on it and his glove was late to get up. I can't tell if he was out of position or just had a disadvantage because he catches right but either his body wasn't in front of that shot.

He played a decent game but nothing more. The breakaway was an easy save because he's a lefty and Sundin went backhand to the glove side. Squaring himself to the shooter also helps. Theodore is definitely inconsistent but is still definitely an elite goalie.

Originally posted by lovethehabs

Theodore's play continues to be inconsistent at best. With consistent goaltending, this team is the tops in the League. For those who defend Theodore, by using expletives and refernece to national origins to insult other Habs Fans, that is disgusting. Everyone is entitled to a comment on the game while respecting the opinion of others. Some of us want this organization to progress and that can only happen by accepting the reality of the performance. Theodore is capable of better play, but just accepting "doing fine" from a former multi-awards winner is not good enough. This guy must be held accountable. Play Danis for a couple of games.  For the well-versed, when offering opinions on the game try to raise the intelligence level beyond profanity. A great team is headed on the down-slide if the goaltending does not improve. The shot totals and save percentages for most of the Habs games speak for themselves. This team outplays the opposition most nights and still loses games like the one against the Leafs last night - Goaltending.

You just won't give up on this will you. You've made your point now move on

Originally posted by olematelot
Originally posted by lovethehabs

Theodore's play continues to be inconsistent at best. With consistent goaltending, this team is the tops in the League. For those who defend Theodore, by using expletives and refernece to national origins to insult other Habs Fans, that is disgusting. Everyone is entitled to a comment on the game while respecting the opinion of others. Some of us want this organization to progress and that can only happen by accepting the reality of the performance. Theodore is capable of better play, but just accepting "doing fine" from a former multi-awards winner is not good enough. This guy must be held accountable. Play Danis for a couple of games.  For the well-versed, when offering opinions on the game try to raise the intelligence level beyond profanity. A great team is headed on the down-slide if the goaltending does not improve. The shot totals and save percentages for most of the Habs games speak for themselves. This team outplays the opposition most nights and still loses games like the one against the Leafs last night - Goaltending.

You just won't give up on this will you. You've made your point now move on

Yup, let us exchange théo for a robert esche, john grahame, brent johnson, curtis joseph or any of those other so so goalies for a couple of weeks. Convinced that you'll come crying, begging for théo to return. Just don't realise what quality goaltender José is!

Hi there tomas-you suck 1 period in philly so you have to go and become a superstar in nashville- vokoun.

Problem is the defence not the goaltending. Watch the hi-lights fo leafs third goal. It looks like a six man break. Not one defender with his back to the net.

With Theo's inability to play the puck why doesn't he just leave it for either the forward coming back or one of the defensemen. Stop it and leave it or let it go. Everytime he tries to play the puck it leads to an opportunity for the other team

After seeing Belfour, I feel much more comfortable with Theo's puck-handling abilities. But Theo didn't mess up last night due to his puck-handling skills. He actually looked pretty good at it last night.

He as been playing well lately, but not last night. Pay good attention in the next few games. Theo only plays well if he gets a lot of shots. He as a hard time being focus when we dominate the other team and then gives up a few bad goals.

Sorry, but at 5.3M$, you're paid to make the BIG saves and he didn't do that last night. He should have stopped the SH goal. He was out of position and tried to play fency with is glove. Look at the replay, he makes that little move as if he got it, but it passed by hitting the tip of his glove. Yes, I know, it was a breakaway, but by Ponivawhatever...a loser!

But the worst was the OT goal. He said after the game that he wasn't expecting a shot, he thought that TO would pass the puck more because they were on a PP...HELLO, there's 50 secs left in the game, expect anything you IDIOT. Proof that he wasn't concentrated. Again look at the replay, he was in position to make the save but as soon as O'Neill was shooting, he let him self down on the ice too quickly and opened up the uper side of the net. Theo as been going down too quickly way too often this year. He's a short goalie and going down gives a lot of room upstrairs. If he would have stood up, the shot would have hit him in the shoulder...just look at the replay.

Honestly, I have been defending is sorry ass all season long, but enough is enough...trade the ######er for a top scoring winger...it would solve are other problem...lack of natural scorers. We keep dominating games but can't score. 4 PP and 18 shots and no goals in the first???

At 5.3M$, he is a burden on the cap. A 2.5 to 3M$ goalie would do as good and we good improve the team somewhere else.

I know how to shake is sorry ass...put Danis in net for 4-5 games in a row. He' been doing great at Hamilton...3 straight wins and not more then 2 goals allowed per game with many shots on net.

Habs 3 major weaknesses:

1) Theodore at 5.3M$ (its a waste of money)

2) 1 more real good scoring forward

3) a real quarterback for our miserable PP

Once Bob will solve these problems, we will be a real dominating team.

Tampa wants a new goalie...St-Louis is not playing well...how about a Theo-Zednik trade for Grahame-St-Louis. We are giving up about 7.2M$ of payroll for 7.6M$.

We have the cap space. St-Louis is a great french forward, so he would replace Theo nicely for media purposes.

Give Danis a chance to be #1, he deserves it and Grahame would be a nice backup with some experience.

I know, many of you are going to tell me that I'm an idiot for trading Theo, but I honestly believe that we need to get rid of him...he's not worth 5.3M$ and the way he's been playing, Danis would have done a better job so far..the real question is can Theo get back to is old form and I seriously doubt it.

As for my trade offer, don't forget that under the cap rules, we need to pick up as much salary as we give up.

Maybe its just my frustration from last night pouring out put Theo is seriously geeting on my nerves.

Again, remember what I said, he can only perform when he gets bombarded by shots. His Vezina-Hart year was a bombardement year...think about it guys...is he the guy we need now that we dominate most games at that he gets little action...

[Edited on 2005/11/13 by Komisarek the Cruncher]

It's a fair trade but I see a couple of problems.

1) I'm not confident with Grahame as a starter or with Danis as a starter (yet) so we'd still be having goalie trouble.

2) Why Zednik? He's a good forward (misses oppotunities but he scores his fair share) at a great price. He's strong on our feet and makes a good firstline. Ofcourse with St Louis, Zeddy would go down to the second line but.... I'd much rather it be Ribeiro in that deal and Ribs has more trade value which means we might even get a little something extra out of that trade.

All of you saying that Theo played well yesterday need a reality check.

5 goals on 24 shots...enough said.

He should have stopped the first 2 goals, at least 1 of them. The 3rd and 4th was not his fault and the OT one was just a perfect example of going down on the ice way too fast which opened up the entire uper side of the net.

Guys, WAKE UP, he's paid 5.3M$, that is because he should be one of the best and making the big saves when we need him and he's simply not doing that...period. Danis would have been a better goalie for us this year. Except the Tampa game, Theo asn't given us a win by him self...in fact he as given up stupid goals and made games much closer then they should have been.

I can't believe you guys are protecting him and not realizing how bad and inconsistent is playing this year.

I think that the Cruncher sums it up quite nicely. I too have been defending Theodore avidly until this year. How long does a goalie need to get back into his flow? and how long can he ride the laurels of one good year? I agree Julien should send a message to Theodore to get his act together and stop the big shots when it counts - earn his big money. Play Danis for four orfive games.

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

It's a fair trade but I see a couple of problems.

1) I'm not confident with Grahame as a starter or with Danis as a starter (yet) so we'd still be having goalie trouble.

2) Why Zednik? He's a good forward (misses oppotunities but he scores his fair share) at a great price. He's strong on our feet and makes a good firstline. Ofcourse with St Louis, Zeddy would go down to the second line but.... I'd much rather it be Ribeiro in that deal and Ribs has more trade value which means we might even get a little something extra out of that trade.

I mentionned Zednik because St-Louis is a winger and Tampa will probably want a winger to replace him. They don't need Ribeiro with Lecavalier and Richards. Nothing against Zednik. Him or Ryder were the ideal fit for such a trade (talent and $) put I prefer Ryder over Zednik. We have Latendresse coming up next year so we can afford to trade Zednik.

I admit that its a risk for our goalies with Danis and Grahame, but unless Theo sharpens up, I don't see much of a risk there. If we don't try Danis, we will never know how good he can be because with Theo playing over 60 games, we will never have the chance to try him as #1 goalie, so you either take the chance or you eventually trade him and then he could be a Vokoun...

Also, if we trade Theo we should fully take advantage and get no goalie in return.

Why trade Theo for Grahame? If Danis is a legit starter then he will start and Huet is already a good back-up who makes back-up money. There's no need to trade Theodore for an average goalie and a good player when we can just get a great player. Theodore's our token to a key d-man and/or a true (left)winger.

We seem to be the All-Star Team of one-hit wonders with Ribeiro, Souray, Theodore... Hopefully things turn around.

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

Theodore's been playing pretty well recently. He had a few amazing games and last night was his first bad game in a week or two.

He played a decent game but nothing more. The breakaway was an easy save because he's a lefty and Sundin went backhand to the glove side. Squaring himself to the shooter also helps. Theodore is definitely inconsistent but is still definitely an elite goalie.

Either it was a bad game (your 1st paragraph) or a decent game (your last). My vote is for decent, and I wholeheartedly agree with your entire last paragraph.

There are a lot of reasons why we lost last night, and Theo's play isn't right up there. That's not to say he played great, mind you, but 'decent' games happen. How about we trade him for a superstar goalie who earns his significant salary every night. Oh wait, because he doesn't exist!!

Here are the more important questions: where were the defense on Wellwood's goal? Why did we have too many men on the ice? Where was the powerplay? Why do we get into penalty trouble virtually every single game? Why am I asking so many rhetorical questions?

The Habs carried the play and outshot the Leafs, but the quality of chances was poor. Belfour played much worse than Theo IMO. It must be in his contract that he has to be one of the 3 stars. He stopped a lot more shots, but few of them were difficult. The first goal and Ryder's goal should have been stopped. If they are, the Leafs win easily. The Habs have to do a better job at puck movement to get quality chances (esp. on the powerplay) and stay out of the box themselves.

Happy with Mr Gainey making the calls. Trading just to make a trade, pwff. t#barn@que! Getting a stumach ache from reading this thread, but I have the solution for all you unhappy people:

Voila

shanahan_brendan_allstar02.jpg

@stie d'tab@rnaqu&!

wake up

Originally posted by Mont Royale

There are a lot of reasons why we lost last night, and Theo's play isn't right up there.  That's not to say he played great, mind you, but 'decent' games happen.  How about we trade him for a superstar goalie who earns his significant salary every night.  Oh wait, because he doesn't exist!!

How about a goalie that shows up most of the games, which asn't been Theo's case this year. His stats are proof enough that he asn't been great too often this year. Again, if he was paid 3M$ top, I wouldn't be complaining about him, but you want 5.3M$, play like a elite goalie then!

Presently, he is a burden on our cap and on our possibility to improve the team the way is playing.

I'm not saying that your other questions are wrong, because yes we do have other problems to fix, but Theo is my biggest concern, If he doesn't improve and stays that way, we have no chance of going far in the payoffs.

Originally posted by mathieug

Happy with Mr Gainey making the calls. Trading just to make a trade, pwff. t#barn@que! Getting a stumach ache from reading this thread, but I have the solution for all you unhappy people:

Voila

shanahan_brendan_allstar02.jpg

@stie d'tab@rnaqu&!  

wake up

Are you actually saying that Theo is playing great and that he's worth is 5.3M$ :?-:?-:?-:?-:?-:?-:?-:?-:?-:?-:?-:?-:?-:?-:?-:?-:?-:?-:?-:?-:?-:?-:?-:?-:?-:?-

Is that enogh question marks to say that you're out of your mind if you think so. I don't mind to wait and ee if he improves but if he doesn't, then why keep him. Danis could have easily played as well and even better so far.

YOU wake up, Theo as been shit this year. I'm not saying he won't improve, but either you don't know hockey or your blind if you think that Theo as been good so far and that he's playing like a 5.3M$ goalie.

If you want to keep him on the basis that he will get better and back to his better days, that's fine, but don't take us for fools by saying that he as been doing great so far.

Last time I checked, hockey was a team game.

Too many bad penalties, lack of scoring touch, bad breaks and terrible defensive mistakes was the differance last night. PERIOD!

Thanks G_d Gainey has more patience than most of you guys ready to make trades like Mr> Houle did. Oh yeah, where is he now?

Originally posted by Habsterr

Last time I checked, hockey was a team game.

Too many bad penalties, lack of scoring touch, bad breaks and terrible defensive mistakes was the differance last night. PERIOD!

Thanks G_d Gainey has more patience than most of you guys ready to make trades like Mr> Houle did. Oh yeah, where is he now?

Last time I checked, your most paid player should be your best player and the one that makes a difference in most games. WOW, Theo made a difference in the Tampa game so far and that's it. 1 lousy game.

I said that the other problems also need to be fixed, but Theo as been a problem also so far this year and he needs to be fixed.

If you guys can't see that, then you are blinded by your love for the Habs.

Did you even ever think that some of our other problems is due to the fact that we lack talent in some areas due to the fact that we can't aford better players because of Theo's contract?

Lack of scoring touch is due to lack of scoring talent. We definetly are missing a great offensive player. Look at all the other top teams, they all have 1 awesome or a few very good scoring players.

Bad defensive play is due to lack of talent at defense. What did you expect from our D-men, they are an average group and nothing more.

Most of you have been blinded by our great start and think that we have this elite team in our hands.

If Theo would have made 1 more save (the first 2 goals should have been stopped), we would have won. PERIOD!

We have been making all your mentionned mistakes for 18 games now, time to realize that most of them are permanent due to the players talent we have.

Komisarek the Cruncher

"If you want to keep him on the basis that he will get better and back to his better days, that's fine

don't take us for fools by saying that he as been doing great so far."

My Quote? Don't think so. Théo's a top goalie in this league, and yes there's room for improvement, especially cuz this boy is earning them millions, but it's still early. Not?

Did you notice the change in Josés rebound control?

Danis could have easily played as well and even better so far. Yep, you're "feeling" that? Like we say over here: Une hirondelle ne fait pas le printemps. Don't get me wrong, I like Danis, I have his poster hanging above my bed (for more than 16 months now! I didn't "discouver" him early this season in Atlanta) but,

it's still too early. Not?

Theo as been shit this year

GPI W L OT Min SO GA SHA GAA SV%

16 10 3 3 935 0 46 409 2.95 .888

Yep, shi£ that is!

You da goalie specialist, hein? Can you give me a name, a specialist can maybe name more, from a goalie you think would produce better here in Montréal? J suis curieux!

Happy with Mr Gainey making the calls. Trading just to make a trade, pwff.

stop cursing, even if it's french. it doesn't make your argument better. tas raison quizz.

[Edited on 13-11-05 by mathieug]