Open-door Theodore's Play

lovethehabs

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

Sometimes I question weither people are really Habs fans cuz all they ever do is rip the players and team. This game, nor was the Pittsburgh game, Theodore's fault. If you hate the Canadiens, become a Leaf fan. Otherwise, zip it.

[Edited on 2005/11/13 by Leafs Suck]

Everyone is intitled to their opinions, so you zip it!

First of all, a real fan is someone that wants his team to improve and be the best, so sorry for asking that from them:guru:

Second, I don't rip players and the team all the time but I can be critical when they don't play up to the level they should be. If you satisfy your self with whatever they do, then I wonder if you are a real fan.

Third, I never said that Pittsburgh game was Theo's fault. On the contrary, he played a good game. The type of game he should be giving us most of the times. As for last night, I'm not saying that it was only Theo's fault, but he certainly was a factor. If you can't recognized that, then you don't understand the principle of having a top paid goalie who needs to make the BIG saves WHEN we need him. A team as 2 options, 1) invest in top forwards and D-men to dominate games so that your goalie doesn't get tested too much and that you don't need to rely on him to win or 2) you have good-average forwards and d-men and invest in a top goalie to repair your team mistakes. The Habs are option #2 and Theo as not been there to repair our players mistakes and make the BIG saves. PERIOD!

God damn it, how hard is it to understand that he's paid 5.3M$, i repeat 5.3M$, again 5.3M$ and he as not played like a top goalie so far. Sometimes I wonder if some of you guys understand the purpose and reason of having a top paid goalie. If he gets back to playing better, good, but other wise, we need to look into changing our team into option #1. Ottawa as option #1 (Hasek is not paid a lot). Detroit as option #1. Carolina as option #1. Flyers are option #1. See a patern here guys...the top 4 teams are built around option #1. Maybe its the way to go in the new NHL. Maybe having a tp goalie is not important because they are barely better then the other goalies under the new rules and equipment changes.

There are many unknowns with all the changes in the league, so be open to other ideas before bitching on other peoples posts. All are wins so far except the Tampa game were because of our team's play, no because of Theo. Danis would have done the same had he been in net...in fact, probablt better with all the bad goals Theo as given up so far.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mathieug, no need to swear and be insulting you little prick. Everyone is intitled to their opinions. Did I insult you? Not.

If you're too immature, that's your problem.

And yes, Theo as been shit. The best stats for a goalie is the save %, all the other stats are teams related. They depend on how well the team plays. And his save % is chit.

Also, its the timing of when he gives up a bad goal. That doesn't show in the stats. Have you watch all the games so far? I doubt it.

Its too early to make any trade anyways, but glad to see that you agree that he needs to improve. That's basically all i'v been saying so take your big head out of your ass and stop insulting people Mr. I know it all.

The reasons we've lost this season is due to our anemic power-play.

Theo can't change that. But for his part, he's been sub-par in his own right.

If we could trade him and one of our forwards (to open a spot for Perezhogin) for a marquee player, Gainey would be an idiot to take a pass. It would alleviate our upcoming cap concerns (and trust me, we have some) and would help our pathetic joke of a power-play.

Face it, the difference in talent between Danis and Theo is nowhere near as large as their difference in salary. This is the new NHL, the cap will come into play sooner rather than later.

We won't win the cup this season and Zednik is an upcoming FA. He'll be asking for a raise and I don't think he's worth it considering the type of concessions we'd have to make to keep him here. Theodore and Zednik could fetch a fairly impressive return.

Komi, you make some interesting points. Maybe you're right, the new NHL is different, and teams will no longer pay the big bucks to goalies. I have my doubts, because it is the key position on every team, and being even slightly better can mean additional points in the standings - which could lead to making the playoffs vs. not making them. But, I'll accept it as a possibility.

You are very hung up on Theo's salary. That is understandable - to a point. Remember that signing that contract did not make him a better goalie. That contract was obviously based on his past play, and the expectation that it would continue. I agree that so far this year, he generally hasn't performed at that level (although much better lately).

From Theo's perspective, he could argue that he gave the team $5.3M worth of value two seasons ago, and was paid only $2-3 million (or whatever it was), so there's some justice in getting paid $5.3M now and only delivering $2-3M!

Besides, it's early in the season, he's shown improvement, and therefore it's premature to think about remodeling the team. Have some patience. In a year or two, I look forward to having excellent forwards, d-men, AND goalie. (We have the potential in our lineup already, it's just waiting for them to develop).

Its all to obvious that some fans here cant enjoy their favorite team without loosing their head in the process.

I couldn't have been more pleased by the way the team as performed against the Leafs yesterday-- the effort, the pace, the scoring chances and a pretty clear sens that the CH as the means to dominate even a healthy Leafs team...if they want to.

At this stage of the season, this impression was more satisfying to me than getting an extra point.

There's something neurotic about not being able to stomack some lost and I can read some reactions here that belong in that vein....I am inclined to take Begin and Ribero's comments as a better reflexion on the situation,...'' All I can say is that if this is the type of hockey our team will be able able to deliver on a constant basis....it is certain that we gona win more games than we gona lose''.

No hyperbole statements here but correct and obvious ones that reflexe well the positive situation we are in.

I for one am very dissappointed in theos performance last night. We out played those bums for 65 min and deserved the win, hands down. I did not expect much from Theo last night! He just does not play well againts the maple laughs. As for myself I am tied of being let down once again from Theo! Two more years and he is gone once and for all.Danis and Price will take over and take us to the promised land!!!!

:ghg:

Originally posted by habs#4,9,10,33

I for one am very dissappointed in theos performance last night. We out played those bums for 65 min and deserved the win, hands down. I did not expect much from Theo last night! He just does not play well againts the maple laughs. As for myself I am tied of being let down once again from Theo! Two more years and he is gone once and for all.Danis and Price will take over and take us to the promised land!!!!  

Couldn't agree more. We are 18 games into the season and I'm tired of people saying to be patient with Theo. Its been 1/4 of the season already...how patient can someone be...Kiprusoff as certainly turn things around for those of you who want to compare. Same shitty start as Theo but great in the past 2 weeks...can't say the same for Theo...

If he doesn't improve, trade him and go with Danis. We also have Price coming up in a few years if Danis doesn't work out. There's always UFA if we need to find somebody for next year.

IMHO, Theo is overrated and nothing more than a good goalie, but not a great goalie. Can't afford to overpay anyone with the cap and Theo is definetly overpaid. I would trade him for a top forward anytime.

Originally posted by Komisarek the Cruncher

Couldn't agree more. We are 18 games into the season and I'm tired of people saying to be patient with Theo. Its been 1/4 of the season already...how patient can someone be...Kiprusoff as certainly turn things around for those of you who want to compare. Same shitty start as Theo but great in the past 2 weeks...can't say the same for Theo...

If he doesn't improve, trade him and go with Danis. We also have Price coming up in a few years if Danis doesn't work out. There's always UFA if we need to find somebody for next year.

IMHO, Theo is overrated and nothing more than a good goalie, but not a great goalie. Can't afford to overpay anyone with the cap and Theo is definetly overpaid. I would trade him for a top forward anytime.

You two guys should meet and spend a miserable evening together making fantaisy trades if that can make you feel better......but please spare us with the fabulous outcome.

I'll take a loss where the Habs played well anyday. The shots Theo was scored on were hard ones. Belfour made 18 saves in the first where the majority were not quality. You still expect to catch him with his head down at some point, but most of the shots were right on. Plekanec shoots the puck always right at the goalie and there are a lot of other players doing the same.

They need to take out the pucks and practice shooting the corners and cutting to the net.

Originally posted by PB

You two guys should meet and spend a miserable evening together making fantaisy trades if that can make you feel better......but please spare us with the fabulous outcome.

Last time I checked, this is a public internet site where people can post ideas and comments.

Its people like you that make good forums hard to find because you spend your useless life putting other people down. Guys like you are pathetic, you feel a need to put people down to make your little pathetic life more interesting and superior. If you disagree, thats fine, but there's no reason to start making fun of other people. Grow up.

You and mathieug should meet one night and put the entire world down, that way you will both feel like your useless lives have a meaning.

I have enough to deal with a few stupid TO fans, now even Habs fans make fun of other Habs fans, great camaradery guys:/)

Sorry for offending your precious little sweatheart that is Theo, but everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Why do you keep defending him, he as not played even close to what he should be giving us. Keep watching and being patient, Theo will not improve and will be the way he as been playing so far for the rest of the season. You will have to wait until you're 6 feet under the ground before he gets to the level you think he can paly.

He has difficulties staying focus and concentrated when he doesn't get bombarded, and since we don't get bombarded any more, he pretty much keep giving up weak goals as long as we have him. That money would be better invested somewhere else. Danis or Price will bring us a cup, but not Theo.

By the way, I can't mention for which company and which contract, but I was very well placed to be involved in negociations he had for a publicity contract a few years ago and the guy he's a little prick. He thinks he's oh mighty god himself and that they world owes him everything. Unbelievable the hothead attitude that guy has. He talks to people like their is servents. You won't see it in public because he as an image to protect but the guy is an idiot. Sorry, but I don't see a great team player in him (he blamed his teammates after the Pittsburgh game) and I don't see him bringing us the cup.

I know a lot more about Theo then the average hockey fan can because of my access to certain information and trading the guy is the best thing that could happen to this team.

So before firing off your canons on other people, think first. Some of us are better connected and know more then you do.

Unbelievable the nerves some guys have. Have you ever heard that putting people down is a weak man's game...

Originally posted by Lister110

I'll take a loss where the Habs played well anyday. The shots Theo was scored on were hard ones. Belfour made 18 saves in the first where the majority were not quality. You still expect to catch him with his head down at some point, but most of the shots were right on. Plekanec shoots the puck always right at the goalie and there are a lot of other players doing the same.  

They need to take out the pucks and practice shooting the corners and cutting to the net.

I disagree, Theo was not that great on the 1st, 2nd and 5th goal.

The 1st was a shot from far with nobody blocking is view.

The 2nd was a weak wrist shot that he tried to be fency with his glove.

The 5th would have hit him in the shoulder at he not went down too quickly.

A suposedly elite goalie should have made all these saves, but assuming he as an average night, he still should have at least at a minimum stopped 1 of those 3 shots.

Don't forget that the thread is about Theo, not about why we lost against TO or the Habs weaknesses. Yes we lack a scoring touch, yes our PP stinks and yes we take too many stupid penalties but that's not what the thread was about.

As for improving our scoring touch, only a change of players will remedy the problem. One you're at the NHL level, you have developped most of your potential, especially for veterans, so improving scoring skills or any skills takes years of practice, not just a few shooting drills. Look at Kovalev, he practices every day by himself for 20 to 30 minutes and he still misses chances and only as 7 goals so far.

Our lack of being able to put it in the net will remain there, get use to it. Latendresse should help in that department next year and adding a great offensive forward should remedy the problem. As much as I like our players, Koivy and Ribs have lousy shots, Zednik is OK but not more, Kovalev and Ryder are above average and that's it. We don't have one single natural great scorer on this team.

always the same speech from people who DISLIKE theodore~ kinda used to it (rds.ca is FULL of them)

it's fine if u dunt like him, but then u GOTTA live with it coz gainey signed him for a 4 years contract... so u better accept this fact~ else, u can complain to bob gainey and tell him ur opinion~ (who knows??? maybe he will read it and trade theo??? then u'll be happy with that... then u'll find another player and complain about what he does~)

patatiiii patataaaaa~ *SIIIIIIGH***

>>> yeah! while leafs were 5 on 3

>>> yeah~ and we were in PP and markov lost the puck which should NOT happen coz we should've been controlling the puck during the powerplay...

>>> yeah and leafs were on PP 4 on 3, they won the face off and controlled the puck... what if we WON the face off and CONTROLLED the puck and CLEARED the zone??? of course, people always blame the goalie since he's the ONE who let the puck roll in the net~

Don't forget that the thread is about Theo, not about why we lost against TO or the Habs weaknesses. Yes we lack a scoring touch, yes our PP stinks and yes we take too many stupid penalties but that's not what the thread was about.

>>> agree :D~ but i'm 100% with theo and i believe in him haha~

[Edited on 2005/11/14 by bebehabs]

If he doesn't improve and stays that way, we have no chance of going far in the payoffs.

You always say how bad Khabibulin is and thta his stats show that and how overrated he is. I can recall his team going far in playoffs once or twice.

I can't disagree with you KomisarekCrunch,...yes I was sacarstic with your posts and played them down.....as they seem to me flawed by an urgency to persuade and a tendency to denigrate over being interesting in any kind of ways.

I tend to see the Habs this year in a similard way Yvan Cournoyer see them....''as the best edition he's seen in years '' so its hard

for me to relate with the nighmarish experience you'r having with it.

Your frustrations are simply out of context to be considered any more seriously than they should.

I bet u guys think Patrick Roy sucked in the 93 season as well with his lousy 3.2 gaa and 89.4 sv%. Oh yeah..

We are lucky the team were that good since the goalie just sucked.

Could never win the cup with a goalie with those stats.

what Im trying to point out here is that the new rules have made it much more difficult to goalies and with our new offensive game we will leave much for Theo to pick up.

What ive noticed of our game so far is that we wait for the oponent to get into our zone (which very often lead to a scoring oportunity for them) and then we regain the puck and counter attack so fast that they almost never have the time to get back in defensive position.

There are being scored ALOT of more goals now then 2 years ago so dont expect the goalies to be under 2.5 gaa and 93 sv% anymore.

sure some goalies have started the season great but they will become human in time as well.

Theo is good, it wasnt his faulth we lost against the leafs.

[Edited on 2005/11/14 by Dalhabs]

Originally posted by bebehabs

always the same speech from people who DISLIKE theodore~ kinda used to it (rds.ca is FULL of them)

it's fine if u dunt like him, but then u GOTTA live with it coz gainey signed him for a 4 years contract... so u better accept this fact~ else, u can complain to bob gainey and tell him ur opinion~ (who knows??? maybe he will read it and trade theo??? then u'll be happy with that... then u'll find another player and complain about what he does~)

Originally posted by Dalhabs

I bet u guys think Patrick Roy sucked in the 93 season as well with his lousy  3.2 gaa    and  89.4 sv%.  Oh yeah..  

We are lucky the team were that good since the goalie just sucked.  

Could never win the cup with a goalie with those stats.

what Im trying to point out here is that the new rules have made it much more difficult to goalies and with our new offensive game we will leave much for Theo to pick up.  

What ive noticed of our game so far is that we wait for the oponent to get into our zone (which very often lead to a scoring oportunity for them) and then we regain the puck and counter attack so fast that they almost never have the time to get back in defensive position.

There are being scored ALOT of more goals now then 2 years ago so dont expect the goalies to be under 2.5 gaa and 93 sv% anymore.

sure some goalies have started the season great but they will become human in time as well.

Theo is good, it wasnt his faulth we lost against the leafs.

[Edited on 2005/11/14 by Dalhabs]

Amen! Plus, maybe there's a chance for that Danis scenario to work. If we put 30 goalies on our depth chart. If the #1 sucks, trade him, and the #2 becomes the starter (e.g. Huet). The #3 will be the new backup. If the starter plays a couple of bad games get rid of him. The #3 (who's now #2 on the depth chart) takes over as the starter. The #4 (e.g. Michaud) is now the backup. Yep, great idea, If Danis plays a couple of bad games...

[Edited on 14-11-05 by mathieug]

[Edited on 14-11-05 by mathieug]

wow...what a heated thread.

Is Theo earning his salary? Nope, not yet.

Do I think he will? Yes, hell yes.

I have more faith in Theo for the starting job than Danis (a rookie with 2 NHL games under his belt) or Huet. I'd consider this year the middle of the rebuilding phase, and giving the starting job to a rookie is a good way to restart the whole process.

Yeah, so...we're leading our division.

Theodore hasn't been great, but we're leading our divison.

The power play hasn't been good, at all...but we're leading our division.

We take too many penalties, way too many...but we're leading our division.

The goalies AROUND the league aren't having stellar seasons, the dimensions on the ice have changed, goalie equipment has changed, give it some time before you start pressing the panic button, seriously, you know who you are sounding like:

*thunder noise*

Leaf fans.

I said it, thats right leaf fans. Lets not turn into leaf fans.

*Guards the trade button*

Haha bring on the flames.

Funny how I was one of you guys until the Maple Leafs game. I have been defending Theo since day 1 of the season, but the Maple Leafs game did it for me.

I just wonder which game will eventually do it for you guys?

I tried to be patient, but after a 1/4 of season, enough is enough. Theo lives in Mtl and knows how important the TO games are and he didn't have a good game. Lack of concentration. Even he admitted after the game "I didn't expect him to shoot" when talking of O'Neill...how can you guys accept that ? There was 50 secs left in the game, how can you not expect a shot? And he said it as if it was normal or something?

He never once in his life time took the blame for a loss but as often mentionned his teammates as not playing hard?

I admit that there was a lot of frustration from the TO game in my comments, but I still say that Theo as everything to prove. Its the first time that he defends the net of a good team, so lets wait and see before putting him as this God like you guys see him. Its easy to play hero for a lousy team, there's no pressure in winning. Either the loss wasn't is fault because the team sucks or they won because he played great, it ain't the same anymore...

All I want to say is that he is many technical problems right now and mostly, a concentration problem...and that worries me the most.

Like I said, can't wait to see when will be your breaking point in your confidence in Theo.

Its a 3 year contract, not 4, thank God:/)

I'm one of those who's been defending him on RDS, but enough is enough, shape up or ship out...

With the concept of a cap, I'm pretty sure that Bob is not happy with Theo's performances and is probably starting to wonder if giving him all that money was the best move...

I have said it before, Theo is the most overrated player to ever play hockey.

He hasn't even had one solid season. His Vezna year you say? BLEH....he played good for 20 games.

He is not a 5+ million dollar man.

Can he play great? yeah once and a while.

That is not good enough.

>>> yeah! while leafs were 5 on 3

>>> yeah~ and we were in PP and markov lost the puck which should NOT happen coz we should've been controlling the puck during the powerplay...

>>> yeah and leafs were on PP 4 on 3, they won the face off and controlled the puck... what if we WON the face off and CONTROLLED the puck and CLEARED the zone??? of course, people always blame the goalie since he's the ONE who let the puck roll in the net~

>>> agree :D~ but i'm 100% with theo and i believe in him haha~

[Edited on 2005/11/14 by bebehabs]

In PK, your goalie is your most important player and those 2 shots were from far and is view was not blocked, so learn a little hockey and know that those shots are suppose to be blocked. He was there to make the save, its not like they were one timers that he ad no chance to get to. Otherwise, many goals will be going in this year if its OK for those type of shots to go in.

I know about Markov's play, it doesn't change the fact that it was a loser who got the breakaway and that the shot was weak and right at his glove. Look at the replay, if it wasn't for trying that little fency glove move to make the save look spectacular, he would have stopped it.

Look carefully before commenting a goal...instead of blindly admiring him. He was weak on all 3 goals period. I know enough about goalies to say this for a guaranteed fact. I played goalie for 10 years and I would hate my self for letting these goals in. He should have stopped at least 1 of those and that's why he's paid the big pucks. Why invest a good chunck of the cap in a goalie if he can't make the saves when you need him.

Anyways, all of you are just saying wait, be patient, but are not bringing any actual facts to defend the guy, so I will stick to reality and what's happening on the ice...which is that he sucks so far:mad:

In the mean time, keep living in that fantasy world of yours...

Originally posted by Prime Minister Koivu

He hasn't even had one solid season. His Vezna year you say? BLEH....he played good for 20 games.

Can he play great?  yeah once and a while.

That is not good enough.

Praise the lord for someone that has seen the light:/)

Originally posted by Prime Minister Koivu

Can he play great?  yeah once and a while.

That is not good enough.

Praise the lord for someone that has seen the light:/)

I have been saying this since he won the Vezna and got his big contract.

His play in the last playoffs was nothing short of terrible. His streak of sub par play continues.

I do not hate Theo.

I want to see my team raise the cup again soon. Theo's contract money could land us a great Dman or forward.

Danis could not possibly play any worse than Theo and could only be an improvement.

[Edited on 2005/11/14 by Prime Minister Koivu]