2020-21 Laval General Discussion Thread

dlbalr

12 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Ugh. Those numbered-list articles really annoy me. It's an excuse to not bother writing a proper story.

Normally agree ... but it has become Friedman's "signature"

Hockey30 reports that in the first Laval intra-squad game Guhle was the best defenceman

Hockey30 | Pour le premier match intra-équipe, Kaiden Guhle...

18 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The Habs quietly recalled Primeau to the taxi squad yesterday while sending Lindgren down to Laval.  That transaction was reversed today so I'm not quite sure what was up there.

Read in Hockey30 that Lindgren was "unavailable" and Habs had to have an "emergency goalie" on the taxi squad ... What I found hard to believe was that Hockey30 had no rumours about the reason for CL's unavailability ... common cold, arrested, was dying to see the newest episode of Big Sky, bad horoscope, no clean underwear, etc.

Poehling and Fleury have now both been sent to Laval's camp.  No one coming up to replace them, at least not yet.  With the Habs in town Wednesday and Thursday and then off for nearly a week after Saturday's game, it's possible they don't recall anyone for a little while.

15 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Poehling and Fleury have now both been sent to Laval's camp.  No one coming up to replace them, at least not yet.  With the Habs in town Wednesday and Thursday and then off for nearly a week after Saturday's game, it's possible they don't recall anyone for a little while.

With Laval sharing facilities with them is there really any pressure to call anyone up until they travel?

8 hours ago, GHT120 said:

With Laval sharing facilities with them is there really any pressure to call anyone up until they travel?

Not really which is why I mentioned they may not recall anyone for a bit.

Laval's February schedule is out - 4 games against Belleville, 4 against Manitoba.  https://theahl.com/stats/schedule/415/68/2/homeaway?league=4&gametype=-1

All home games will be on RDS and TSN 690 which is nice.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Laval's February schedule is out - 4 games against Belleville, 4 against Manitoba.  https://theahl.com/stats/schedule/415/68/2/homeaway?league=4&gametype=-1

All home games will be on RDS and TSN 690 which is nice.

Starts Friday -- excellent. I'm excited to finally see our prospects in action. The roster is filled to overflowing with AHL rookies and I'm looking forward to Bouchard sorting out the wheat from the chaff.

Verbeek and Hillis were recalled to the taxi squad today with Evans and Perry going to Montreal's roster.  I guess they had to call some replacements up merely to meet the minimum number of people on the taxi squad.  I suspect both will be sent back down by Friday although I'm not sure either of them would be in Laval's lineup for the opener anyway.

12 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Verbeek spent most of last year in the ECHL so agree that's unlikely. But do you figure that Hillis is also unlikely to crack the Rocket lineup?

I suspect he's probably on about the 6th line right now.  To me, those two were picked as they're the ones Laval can do without the most in the event that someone gets hurt tonight/tomorrow in Montreal's games.  That way, those two can stays as designated scratches while Laval's full roster plays against Belleville.

Look at Laval's 12 forwards on CapFriendly's site.  I don't think Hillis is ahead of any of them in terms of current lineup readiness.  (He'll be ahead of them in prospect status but he was a strong candidate to be in the ECHL had they been able to send anyone down).  Then there's AHL deals like Veilleux and Lynch that are definitely ahead of him, maybe Vigneault as well given his experience.  Harvey-Pinard has a narrower window to be evaluated as well given that they have to decide on him by June 1st so he probably is ahead too.

7 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Look at Laval's 12 forwards on CapFriendly's siteI don't think Hillis is ahead of any of them in terms of current lineup readiness.  (He'll be ahead of them in prospect status but he was a strong candidate to be in the ECHL had they been able to send anyone down).  Then there's AHL deals like Veilleux and Lynch that are definitely ahead of him, maybe Vigneault as well given his experience.  Harvey-Pinard has a narrower window to be evaluated as well given that they have to decide on him by June 1st so he probably is ahead too.

Thanks! Especially for the highlighted part I really had no idea where he would fit in.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Do you get big bump in pay to be on taxi squad?

Don't believe so ... taxi squaders must clear waivers (or be waiver exempt) and receive AHL salaries if they are on two-way contracts ... NHL salary if they are on one-way ... but only the amount of a taxi squad member's salary above $1.075 million counts against the salary cap as that is the "buriable" threshold; just as if they were in the AHL

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Don't believe so ... taxi squaders must clear waivers (or be waiver exempt) and receive AHL salaries if they are on two-way contracts ... NHL salary if they are on one-way ... but only the amount of a taxi squad member's salary above $1.075 million counts against the salary cap as that is the "buriable" threshold; just as if they were in the AHL

thanks, was just curious.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I suspect he's probably on about the 6th line right now.  To me, those two were picked as they're the ones Laval can do without the most in the event that someone gets hurt tonight/tomorrow in Montreal's games.  That way, those two can stays as designated scratches while Laval's full roster plays against Belleville.

Look at Laval's 12 forwards on CapFriendly's site.  I don't think Hillis is ahead of any of them in terms of current lineup readiness.  (He'll be ahead of them in prospect status but he was a strong candidate to be in the ECHL had they been able to send anyone down).  Then there's AHL deals like Veilleux and Lynch that are definitely ahead of him, maybe Vigneault as well given his experience.  Harvey-Pinard has a narrower window to be evaluated as well given that they have to decide on him by June 1st so he probably is ahead too.

Bouchard was quoted as saying this year is a development year when asked if he wanted another veteran in Laval. With that in mind, I'm shocked Weal wasn't put on the taxi squad instead of Hillis.

Verbeek is in "are you sure you don't want a mutual contract termination...?" territory. Not even sure he'll see any actual ice time this season. 

9 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Bouchard was quoted as saying this year is a development year when asked if he wanted another veteran in Laval. With that in mind, I'm shocked Weal wasn't put on the taxi squad instead of Hillis.

Verbeek is in "are you sure you don't want a mutual contract termination...?" territory. Not even sure he'll see any actual ice time this season. 

I think DBlair already hit the nail on the head ... the Habs picked from the very bottom end of the Laval roster in order to minimize the disruption to the Rocket training camp.

5 hours ago, DON said:

Do you get big bump in pay to be on taxi squad?

In salary, no, but I believe they get NHL per diem.

2 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Even in a development year, you need some veterans.  Weal should be a fixture on the top line as proper development doesn't mean throw guys like Ylonen to the wolves by playing them heavy minutes right away.  It should be the same with Hillis - they need to ease him in and that probably means playing a limited role to start and probably spending some time in the press box.

Agreed on Verbeek.  I thought they were going to leave him in the Slovak league, to be honest.  They have enough forwards that they could have had him stay there (and playing) and then if injuries hit, there'd be enough time to recall him and have him quarantine.

Verbeek and Hillis were sent back to Laval yesterday although someone will probably need to be called back soon.  (Edit: Verbeek was indeed recalled again.)  Michael Frolik has been sent to Laval to play this week and will be recalled to the taxi squad by Saturday.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic