2020-21 Laval General Discussion Thread

dlbalr

42 minutes ago, bbp said:

Any updates on how Teasdale has looked?

I noticed him a lot the first couple of games where he was really involved at both ends and then hardly saw him last night with his linemate Harvey-Pinard stealing the show.  Still, considering how long he's been off, it's a good start.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Lindgren sent to Laval, and McNiven takes over on the taxi squad.

Arnt the 2 simply interchangeable, as far as projected NHL likelihood?

15 minutes ago, DON said:

McNiven is younger and has played well at the AHL level of late.  Goalies are voodoo and develop late too.

I'd say he has more of a chance to be an NHLer than Lindgren at this point, just due to age.  That said both are unlikely yeah.

13 minutes ago, DON said:

At the age of 23, I would say that McNiven's chances of becoming an NHL (backup) goalie are probably somewhat better than those of Lindgren, who is already 27. The odds are pretty long for both, though.

On 2/22/2021 at 2:14 PM, tomh009 said:

Demchenko! OK, this will be interesting to see (well, follow).

I thought he played well, different style than the other Habs goalies : seemed “active” or “busy” In net

33 minutes ago, DON said:

Ylonen, Vejdemo 7gms 6pts

Weal 8gms 6pts

Leskinen 8gms 5pts

Brook 5gms 3pts

Fleury 3gms 2pts

Poehling 6gms 3pts (but just scored on breakaway so 4pts)

I think Ylonen and Vejdemo are both playing their 8th games, not sure why the AHL site shows them as 7. Both have looked strong so far. As have Leskinen and Olofsson (another late bloomer).

There is no room upstairs at the moment -- and AHL success doesn't necessarily translate to the NHL, either, as we already saw last season). Nevertheless, it's a good start for the Rocket.

On 2/27/2021 at 5:08 PM, Trizzak said:

In any other season Vejdemo would be making a case for a callup right now. He's looking invigorated, like the the cup of coffee with the Habs last season gave him a jolt to get him to his potential. 

He was very good in Sweden earlier this year too.

14 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Laval released Kevin Lynch at his request so he could go back to the US.  That's a disappointing one as he was a solid checker.

He was good I. The few games I watched 

but it will push some of the prospects into the spotlight which should help them (here is looking at you Poehling)

1 minute ago, alfredoh2009 said:

He was good I. The few games I watched 

but it will push some of the prospects into the spotlight which should help them (here is looking at you Poehling)

It does leave the Laval roster with only nine centremen! On the other hand, there are only two right-wingers, plus Frolik on the taxi squad.

46 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

A bit more defensive depth with Guhle and Fairbrother gone.  He won't be available to Laval for another week though.

Does this come with some kind of agreement that Brisebois has to play top 6  or something ?

27 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Does this come with some kind of agreement that Brisebois has to play top 6  or something ?

He hasn't played all season (Brisebois has been on the taxi squad since January 13th) so this is a move designed to get him some playing time.  Is there a firm agreement in place that says he has to play every game?  Probably not but there's an understanding that he'll be in more often than not.  Otherwise, there's no reason for Vancouver to loan him.

As much as Laval has an expanded roster, it's not really the case for their defence now.  When everyone's healthy and available, their top-six is fine (Fleury, Brook, Ouellet, Leskinen, Olofsson, Schueneman) but one injury or recall had them picking between Jacob LeGuerrier, Nathaniel Halbert, or Tobie Paquette-Bisson.  (The first is an OHL prospect, the second is a 25-year-old Canadian college player, and the third is someone that was signed to be ECHL depth had they been able to send anyone there.)  There will be opportunities for Brisebois to play fairly quickly, especially if the Habs pull someone up to the taxi squad for their Western road trip next week.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

He hasn't played all season (Brisebois has been on the taxi squad since January 13th) so this is a move designed to get him some playing time.  Is there a firm agreement in place that says he has to play every game?  Probably not but there's an understanding that he'll be in more often than not.  Otherwise, there's no reason for Vancouver to loan him.

As much as Laval has an expanded roster, it's not really the case for their defence now.  When everyone's healthy and available, their top-six is fine (Fleury, Brook, Ouellet, Leskinen, Olofsson, Schueneman) but one injury or recall had them picking between Jacob LeGuerrier, Nathaniel Halbert, or Tobie Paquette-Bisson.  (The first is an OHL prospect, the second is a 25-year-old Canadian college player, and the third is someone that was signed to be ECHL depth had they been able to send anyone there.)  There will be opportunities for Brisebois to play fairly quickly, especially if the Habs pull someone up to the taxi squad for their Western road trip next week.

Thanks

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

A bit more defensive depth with Guhle and Fairbrother gone.  He won't be available to Laval for another week though.

Any sense if it is for the rest of the season or perhaps just 2-3 weeks to let Brisebois get his legs back?

15 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Any sense if it is for the rest of the season or perhaps just 2-3 weeks to let Brisebois get his legs back?

They don't need to put any term on it as he's subject to recall at any time.  This is just Vancouver sending a player to the minors and instead of going to their farm team in the US, they've picked a Canadian-based team to allow him to be able to bypass quarantine restrictions if and when they need to recall him.  If I had to guess, he'll be down for a while unless they have some injuries that force a recall.

I haven’t checked to compare them, but would a swap of Brook for Brisebois make sense?

J am guessi g Brisebois is a LD and Brook seems to be one RD too many for the Habs

27 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I haven’t checked to compare them, but would a swap of Brook for Brisebois make sense?

J am guessi g Brisebois is a LD and Brook seems to be one RD too many for the Habs

Brook is a a decent prospect while Brisebois is more of a depth guy.  He's more around the Olofsson level - someone you can use in the NHL if you had to but is better suited to be 9th or 10th on the depth chart.

I also disagree with the Habs having too many RD.  They don't have anywhere near enough of them.  They have Weber and Petry in the NHL, Fleury and Brook in the minors and that's it.  All of their good prospects are lefties as well.  They don't need to get rid of a right-shot D, they need to acquire about three of them - one for the minors and at least two for their prospect base.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I also disagree with the Habs having too many RD.  They don't have anywhere near enough of them.  They have Weber and Petry in the NHL, Fleury and Brook in the minors and that's it.  All of their good prospects are lefties as well.  They don't need to get rid of a right-shot D, they need to acquire about three of them - one for the minors and at least two for their prospect base.

Agree on the needs assessment. But which one(s) of the lefties is Bouchard using on the right side to fill the gap for now? Is it Leskinen?

12 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Agree on the needs assessment. But which one(s) of the lefties is Bouchard using on the right side to fill the gap for now? Is it Leskinen?

Ouellet was there early with the junior guys and last game it was Leskinen. 

• dlbalr unpinned this topic