2020-21 Laval General Discussion Thread

dlbalr

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Cole Caufield will wear #44 in Laval.  His college number (8), is taken by Josh Brook

In Montreal Chiarot has 8 and Edmundson 44, so i wonder what he gets when called up. 

Give him the 44 in Montreal. Probably the best shooter since Richer. 

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

It woul dbe so fitting for him to have Cammalleri's old number

I was thinking of him following Domi.

17-4-1 is just a bit nicer than the good ol Sylvain Lefebvre days. 

Rocket have luckily played 23games, Utica (Canucks farm team, i think?)has only got in 9 games so far.

Bouchard greets Caufield to The Rocket

Primeau and Leskinen both called up to the taxi squad. Primeau will back up Allen but not clear yet whether Leskinen will actually dress for the Habs (to give a night off for other D-men) or just fill the empty seat on the taxi squad.

1 minute ago, tomh009 said:

Primeau and Leskinen both called up to the taxi squad. Primeau will back up Allen but not clear yet whether Leskinen will actually dress for the Habs (to give a night off for other D-men) or just fill the empty seat on the taxi squad.

I agree it makes sense for Primeau to be the backup ... why else promote him rather than Demchenko if it is just to fill the taxi squad slot.

Wonder who Leskinen could spell ... in a game against TO I doubt Petry, Kulak, Weber or Edmundson would sit ... and not certain that Romanov or Mete need a "night off" ... expect Mete would sit if Leskinen were to play ... Romanov gets more TOI and gets some use on both the PK and PP ... but they already need to dress another forward with Gallagher out and doubt they risk losing Mete on waivers to create space ... so cap and roster issues are also involved.

16 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I agree it makes sense for Primeau to be the backup ... why else promote him rather than Demchenko if it is just to fill the taxi squad slot.

Wonder who Leskinen could spell ... in a game against TO I doubt Petry, Kulak, Weber or Edmundson would sit ... and not certain that Romanov or Mete need a "night off" ... expect Mete would sit if Leskinen were to play ... Romanov gets more TOI and gets some use on both the PK and PP ... but they already need to dress another forward with Gallagher out and doubt they risk losing Mete on waivers to create space ... so cap and roster issues are also involved.

Maybe nobody tomorrow night. But there will be three games in four nights, five in six and six in eight. Only two of those six games are against the Leafs.

But it's also quite possible that there is no plan for him to play, bar any further injuries.

17 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

WoooooooHooooooo

Please do it now

Give him a couple more games in the AHL.  There’s no quarantine period for him so let him settle in a bit at a professional level.  I’m glad he’s proving me wrong so far.

I do not understand the frenetic rush to get CC into the NHL.

When is that last time that rushing a kid worked? Gallagher...and that's about it. More often it is a disaster.

If the idea is, after he's had a nice run in the AHL, to give him a taste of the next level in order to help him grow, then I'm all for it. If the idea is that he is going to come up and play a significant role from that moment forward, then I think it is quite likely to be a bad idea.

45 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I do not understand the frenetic rush to get CC into the NHL.

When is that last time that rushing a kid worked? Gallagher...and that's about it. More often it is a disaster.

If the idea is, after he's had a nice run in the AHL, to give him a taste of the next level in order to help him grow, then I'm all for it. If the idea is that he is going to come up and play a significant role from that moment forward, then I think it is quite likely to be a bad idea.

I think a lot depends on CC's emotional maturity.  I think too many are expecting him to be a saviour, I know I have high hopes. Hopefully he doesn't read the papers. I expect they will give him a taste this year because with Gallagher out he may be able to help them, maybe a lot. The 2 years in university helped him mature a lot.  He may be ready, the Habs brass are a better judge of that than me and I think there is little doubt we see him this year. Like everyone else here I am cheering for him big time. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... When is that last time that rushing a kid worked? Gallagher...and that's about it. More often it is a disaster ..

And Gallagher had 36 AHL games of pro prep because he came up in the lockout season.

21 hours ago, GHT120 said:

And Gallagher had 36 AHL games of pro prep because he came up in the lockout season.

Good point.

Here are some guys who were brought up very early:

-KK: results indeterminate, but some grounds for concern

-Mete: flatlined, eventually lost on waivers

-Galchenyuk: disaster

-Price: near-disaster, followed by huge success

-Latendresse: never fulfilled expectations

-Ribeiro: run out of town due to immaturity - disastrous return

-Gally: total success

So out of 7 cases, that’s 5 failures or quasi-failures, one that came all too close to a franchise-shattering catastrophe (Price), and a grand total of one clear-cut success. And even he, as you say, had 36 AHL games.

Leave the kid to marinade like good organizations do.

45 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Good point.

So out of 7 cases, that’s 5 failures or quasi-failures, one that came all too close to a franchise-shattering catastrophe (Price), and a grand total of one clear-cut success. And even he, as you say, had 36 AHL games.

Not against leaving him there to let him dominate. 

Habs could simply use him for a playoff run. Caufield will score in the NHL. He has an ability that is rare, he finds prime open ice always. He is a goal scoring machine and we need some goals. 

Try one game and if it’s too much then send him back. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Good point.

With the exception of Price, and Gallagher, it could be argued that none of the failures had the talent or will to meet the expectations. I think the plan was to call up Caufield after the Rocket’s next two games. Now that they are postponed, I suspect he might be on the taxi squad very soon.

I would keep him on the taxi squad and let him practice with the team for a few weeks before putting him in the lineup but I am sure they will want to get him some games before the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Good point.

Pacioretty... succeeded despite coming up too early.

Subban.... succeeded despite only one AHL season.

Why are we leaving those guys out?

Also Latendresse was turning into a very good player when concussions ruined his career.

Riberio we gave up on too soon.  He broke out despite being brought up early

Mete... no amount of AHL time was going to improve his shot, or his size.

I still say that talent will succeed and come through.  Just be patient with them.

23 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Pacioretty... succeeded despite coming up too early.

Subban.... succeeded despite only one AHL season.

Why are we leaving those guys out?

Also Latendresse was turning into a very good player when concussions ruined his career.

Riberio we gave up on too soon.  He broke out despite being brought up early

Mete... no amount of AHL time was going to improve his shot, or his size.

I still say that talent will succeed and come through.  Just be patient with them.

Subban had an AHL season. CC has had three games. That's a difference. Patches also had about 40 AHL games before being called up...and struggling.

Indeed, if we take Pacioretty as a comparable, it took him 2 1/2 years of bouncing up and down before putting it together as an impact FW.

I am NOT saying "under no circumstances give CC a taste of NHL action." What I AM saying is

1. He should get tons of ice-time, preferably in an environment where he can learn to dominate. That's the AHL.

2. It is unrealistic to expect him to come up after a month of AHL action and be a scoring star. He might have a short-term burst as a "rookie sensation" but that is hardly ever sustainable. See Pacioretty, Max.

Fan expectations are insane right now for this kid. Many of these are the same fans who pencilled in Poehling as a sure-fire top-6 C after his four-point explosion. Nope.

So, without precluding a short stint in the Show, CC's near-term future should be in the AHL.

• Upvote 1

As it is the AHL team has games postponed and he's not getting on the ice.  The two games he did play, the kid was already the best player on the ice and dominant.

Call him up. Put him on the third line.  If it works? great.  You've got another scoring threat in your top 9 and on your PP for the playoffs.

If it doesn't work. Fine, put him back in the AHL and let him stay with the black Aces in the playoffs and he can play in the AHL next season, in a more normal year

Calling him up for a dozen NHL games isn't going to ruin the kids career, and you've already burned a year of his deal so it doesn't matter contract wise.

Its not going to hurt to give him a taste of NHL action and will even give him more motivation to know exactly how fast and how good the show is, and what he will need to work on. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Commandant said:

As it is the AHL team has games postponed and he's not getting on the ice.  The two games he did play, the kid was already the best player on the ice and dominant.

Call him up. Put him on the third line.  If it works? great.  You've got another scoring threat in your top 9 and on your PP for the playoffs.

If it doesn't work. Fine, put him back in the AHL and let him stay with the black Aces in the playoffs and he can play in the AHL next season, in a more normal year

Calling him up for a dozen NHL games isn't going to ruin the kids career, and you've already burned a year of his deal so it doesn't matter contract wise.

Its not going to hurt to give him a taste of NHL action and will even give him more motivation to know exactly how fast and how good the show is, and what he will need to work on. 

It makes so much sense

32 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

It makes so much sense

I was in favour of letting him marinate in the AHL for a while without the pressure, but I’d call him up now - if nothing else at least get practice time with the team. It works capwise, I’d so the same with Poehling. Worse thing for young players is not getting enough ice time. 

I really don't see much point in putting Poehling in the Habs' lineup at this point, when we have at easily 12 forwards stronger than him (not counting Frolik or Gallagher). But having him practise with the taxi squad doesn't hurt.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic