Kovalev to undergo surgery Tuesday in Pittsburgh

Topgun19

This is fine no one should worry hopefully.

Zhogin will do well on the 1st line if he gets a shot. I hope Kovalev travels with the team, as he is a great mentor for him. Also we did not have Kovalev last season and did not play that poorly. Now that we have plex Higgins and zhogin young guys who love to play this team is still better than what we had a year ago at this time. Lets keep our chins up I see a nice winning streak on the horizon.

ARRRRRRRRAGH.... :wall: Sorry, I needed that... all better now.

Well here comes a true test of our depth and our rookies. I predict JT will pick up his game, the rookies step it up and we keep winning:ghg:

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

Zednik is almost as equally as valueable as Kovalev, IMO, and the Habs played outstanding hockey when he was out.

Not even close....Kovalev is much more able to take control of a game than Zed is.....but that being said, both players are pretty high up on the depth chart....

Bad news, but I really think the Habs will show that they can still do well without him... We've made the playoffs without Kovalev before, and I'm not worried.

This is really the perfect time for him to have the surgery... We've managed to bank a ton of points (many more than a lot of people really thought we'd get). Maybe we'll drop down a few spots in his absense but common, He'll be back a bit before Christmas to give us some Holiday cheer ;).

Another thing, I'd much rather see Dandenault playu forward than Dagenais... It just seems that our 4th line doesn't get regular shifts when Dagenais is one it. If Julien keeps relying on the top 3 lines to do most of the work, it's going to start hurting us in a couple months.

On the subject of the Habs running into a ton of injury trouble right now... I'd much rather have it happen now then right before the start to the playoffs.

:ghg:

Well now its time for Bulis's, Sundstrom and Zednik to pick up the pace a little bit, as well as a little more production out of the kids Higgins, Plekanec and Perezhogin.

ANd as long as Theodore gives some solid goaltending, they should be alright.

Well they'll probably play a few games without a callup to see how it goes, then decide in a weeks time what to do. Don't be suprised if the goon Vandermeer gets the call, or something stupid like that.

Actually I might prefer to see Hainsey, who's playing very well get the callup and have Dandenault moved to the wing. Might as well see if Hainsey can handle it.

[Edited on 2005/11/14 by kaos]

This is actually at quite a good time in the schedule for this to happen. If you look ahead 3 weeks from now to the game Dec 3 against LA, the Habs have a whole week off till Dec 10th when they host Anaheim. Hopefully Kovy can return on or around the 10th of December and only miss 9 games.

I think this is the best time to lose a keyplayer like Kovalev. ATM he's the only "big" player hurt. We can make up later in the season if it doesnt work out without him, and WE NEED HIM IN POST SEASON!!

I think we have enough depth to take it on for some weeks. And i bet Kovalev will be back better than he was before the injury. He played good, but he can be better!!

Perez on the first line will do it, he showed it before, and with the experience of Koivu and Zednik it will go allright. Keep Higgins on the second, he gets enought time there and that line doesnt get ripped apart again!

And Perezhogin and Plekanec could also switch on first line.

The extra spot on the 4th can always be taken by a Bulldog. I would do that any day over Dags!!

3-4 weeks isn't really bad. When I read the title I was scared it was months. That can happen depending on where you get surgery (knees). Look at Huet. This'll just give Perezhogin a chance and we already know that line works.

Hmm, I just wonder if being able to play in the Olympics in top form had anything to do with his decision to have the surgery now...

(Sure, he loves the Habs and wants to help the team, but I'm sure a player like him takes quite a lot of pride in being able to show his stuff at the games.)

Eitherway, if he was playing hurt, I can't wait to see him dangle when he gets back in top form... *drools*

He as been missing some practices lately,.. I thought something was going on since extra practice time had been the norm for him until then.

The last CH goal was his thunderous on-reception's slap-shot that felt like its own version of the ''final solution''.....he got really excited after that one,..bending on himself while pomping his fist,..pretty unusual stuff coming from him....maybe he knew by then that this would be a nice salute before going away for surgerie.....never under-estimate the flair for drama and circumstance of a good Russian.

I will miss his inimitable play but I remain confident that Julien and the boys will be able to thighned things up in a way that, at the cost of a few lost points, should be otherwise a good investement to developpe futher the disciplinary and team play aspects. Thightening things up cannot be acheived as successfully in the new-retro NHL as it was prior the change...so they still gona need a descent amount of fire power to be able to hold-on........it will be interesting to see.

I haven't heard the whole story but given that they're predicting 3-4 weeks off, it is most likely an arthroscopy for a presumed meniscal tear. It basically involves making a few pinhole incisions into the knee to get a direct view with a fibre optic cable. Once inside, they'll be able to see more than you can with just simple xrays. Hopefully, the time off won't change after the procedure if they find anything unexpected.

[Edited on 2005/11/15 by zumpano21]