Habs recall Maxim Lapierre from Hamilton

les_glorieux

November 14, 2005

MONTREAL – Canadiens GM Bob Gainey announced Monday that forward Maxim Lapierre has been recalled from the Hamilton Bulldogs of the American Hockey League. Goaltender Cristobal Huet has been assigned to Hamilton for conditioning purposes.

Lapierre, 20, has played in all 15 games in his first professional season with the Bulldogs this season, collecting seven points (two goals, five assists). The Canadiens selected the 6-foot-2, 197-pound center in the 3rd round (61st overall) of the 2003 draft.

www.canadiens.com

This is unexpected.

Kostitsyn, Chipchura and Hainsey are much more logical choices. (But I'm not sure if Chippy is allowed tobe called up from the ECHL.)

Lapierre is like Begin, but with more offensive potential, but less grit (who has as much grit as Begin anyways?)

To Bulis_the_habby: We're not allowed to callup Chipchura, he's in the WHL... We have to wait for his season to finish. And what good would calling up Hainsey do? All our injuries are to forwards.

I like this move... Lapierre would be a great fit to play w/ Begin... put him on the 4th line w/ Begin and Pleks, and bench Dagenais when Bulis gets back...

Zed-Koivu-Perez

Higgins-Ribs-Ryder

Bulis-Bonk-Sunny

Pleks-Begin-Lapierre

Plus you've still got the option of playing Dandenault on the wing if Bulis isn't back.

Originally posted by Macaskill

I like this move... Lapierre would be a great fit to play w/ Begin... put him on the 4th line w/ Begin and Pleks, and bench Dagenais when Bulis gets back...

Zed-Koivu-Perez

Higgins-Ribs-Ryder

Bulis-Bonk-Sunny

Pleks-Begin-Lapierre

Plus you've still got the option of playing Dandenault on the wing if Bulis isn't back.

Lines sound good to me, Hope Kovs back soon and his knee holds up, man I wish I could go down and have mine looked at too.:lol:

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

This is unexpected.

Kostitsyn, Chipchura and Hainsey are much more logical choices. (But I'm not sure if Chippy is allowed tobe called up from the ECHL.)

Chipchura plays in the WHL and he can't get called up. Even if he could, he's nowhere near as polished as Lapierre is right now.

Hainsey will not play another game with the Habs until next season. Not only has he stunk it up so far in the AHL, but he'd cause trouble with waivers.

As for Kostitsyn, he's one dimensional and Perezhogin is better than him (not to mention much more deserving) at this point in time.

Not very unexpected at all. The only guys I could possibly see ahead of Lapierre in the pecking order are Ferland and Murray. But even that is debateable.

hainsey would have to go through waivers to be back to mtl.

as for Lapierre, he's the in-your-face type of player. I'm glad he is up allthough I don't think he'll be here for too long but the kid sure can learn a few tricks from bégin.

Originally posted by puck7x

Lapierre is like Begin, but with more offensive potential, but less grit (who has as much grit as Begin anyways?)

To Bulis_the_habby: We're not allowed to callup Chipchura, he's in the WHL... We have to wait for his season to finish. And what good would calling up Hainsey do? All our injuries are to forwards.

Dandenault moves to winger, Hainsey to D and then we don't have to play Dagenais. Some would prefer that line-up. And ya, I wasn't sure about Chipchura.

And "all our injuries"? TSN reports that Bonk is injured but after he came back I never heard of anyhing else.

But it looks like Hainsey must clear waivers. Never mind but he is doing well (and looking bored) in the minors.

Why Kostitsyn? Well, he's got great potential and it would be a waste if he became a career NHLer because he's so talented. He deserves a couple of games in the NHL. It might boost his confidence and show him a couple of defensive tricks. And yeah, he's one dimensional but so are many of the league's top scorers. Even Sundstrom is one-dimensional (but defensively) and he has a great game. This guy needs a chance to play in the NHL because he can definitely make it.

sometimes, a coach/gm will call the farmteam's coach and ask for the most diserving player on the team for a callup.

with a 15-4-4- 8 pts 14 pim and -9, kostitsyn should be the last recall on the team.

But it looks like Hainsey must clear waivers. Never mind but he is doing well (and looking bored) in the minors.

Why Kostitsyn? Well, he's got great potential and it would be a waste if he became a career NHLer because he's so talented. He deserves a couple of games in the NHL. It might boost his confidence and show him a couple of defensive tricks. And yeah, he's one dimensional but so are many of the league's top scorers. Even Sundstrom is one-dimensional (but defensively) and he has a great game. This guy needs a chance to play in the NHL because he can definitely make it.

Hainsey's doing terrible in the minors. He still hasn't learnt how to play defence and he's getting abused in his own end.

As for Kostitsyn, he's still too raw. He's only 20 and one of the youngest players in the AHL and it's not like he's tearing it up in Hamilton so have some patience. He's gonna make it, just not anytime soon. And plus we need to fill a 3rd or 4th line spot so why bring up a guy who's allergic to backchecking to fill a defensive and penalty kill role?

I think you probably meant to say 'a career AHLer but this 'typo?' isn't anywhere near my flub with Bob McCown... sigh........................

Aside from that, I'm looking forward to seeing some of Lapierre. I don't expect he'll play a lot but it certainly will give him a taste of the big times.

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

Originally posted by goHabs2005

This is unexpected.

As for Kostitsyn, he's one dimensional and Perezhogin is better than him (not to mention much more deserving) at this point in time.

Kostsitsyn may be weak as a defensive player but there would still be place for him in the bigs. If, as hockeysfuture.com and TSN's players section say, he's as good an offensive player, he'd do very well with a couple of players who were able to do the defensive work with him.

Imagine him with Higgins and Plekanec. Those two are both very good (Higgins being super) two-way players. They could probably complement each other quite well. :D

Yeah, that's what I meant, shortcat.

Good points people but the only one I'd still argue is that Hainsey is playing well in the minors. He has quite a few points for a defenceman even if he can't play defence (kind of like McCabe). From the little I watched of him this year he seemed to be lazy yet good. He has what it takes but doesn't like to go all out. A chance at the NHL might wake him up.

Originally posted by shortcat1

This is unexpected.

Kostsitsyn may be weak as a defensive player but there would still be place for him in the bigs. If, as hockeysfuture.com and TSN's players section say, he's as good an offensive player, he'd do very well with a couple of players who were able to do the defensive work with him.

Imagine him with Higgins and Plekanec. Those two are both very good (Higgins being super) two-way players. They could probably complement each other quite well. :D

You twisted the quotes there shortcat. "This is unexpected" was me but not the second sentence.

Maxim Lapierre

Center

Born Mar 29 1985 -- Saint-Léonard, PQ

Height 6.02 -- Weight 205 -- Shoots R

Selected 2nd round #61 overall in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft

2001-02 Cap-de-la-Madeleine QAAA 35 16-26-42

2001-02 Montreal Rocket QMJHL 9 2-0-2 2 pim (+1)

2002-03 Montreal Rocket QMJHL 72 22-21-43 55 pim (+13)

2003-04 Prince Edward Island Rock QMJHL 67 25-36-61 138 pim (+10)

2004-05 Prince Edward Island Rock QMJHL 69 25-27-52 139 pim (-10)

2005-06 Hamilton Bulldogs AHL 15 2-5-7 9 pim

Has size, good work ethic, strong skating intense team player who will drop the gloves at times, excellent two way player. Was PEI rocket captain under Alain Vigneault, played PK, PP. Improved defensive game under Vigneault (04-05). Shows up every game.

« J'aime sa détermination et sa fougue. Il a un style de jeu que nous aimons. C'est un bon travaillant dans les deux sens de la patinoire. »

André Savard, Directeur général adjoint - La Presse, mercredi 17 septembre 2003

Originally posted by shortcat1

This is unexpected.

You twisted the quotes there shortcat. "This is unexpected" was me but not the second sentence.

Of course, I apologize there. I wanted to focus on that one sentence so I endeavoured to remove all other parts of your post. It looks like I missed the 'unexpected' part. Therefore, my error was also 'unexpected'. :eyes:

[iTo Bulis_the_habby: We're not allowed to callup Chipchura, he's in the WHL... We have to wait for his season to finish. And what good would calling up Hainsey do? All our injuries are to forwards.

Well if Hainsey is called up that means that Dandenault can play forward. Hes kinda versatile like that.

It actually makes more sense than calling up Lapierre.

I would have though Kostitsyn

This is unexpected.

Chipchura plays in the WHL and he can't get called up. Even if he could, he's nowhere near as polished as Lapierre is right now.

Hainsey will not play another game with the Habs until next season. Not only has he stunk it up so far in the AHL, but he'd cause trouble with waivers.

Not very unexpected at all. The only guys I could possibly see ahead of Lapierre in the pecking order are Ferland and Murray. But even that is debateable.

Hainsey has "stuck it up" this year in the AHL? Thats why he is tied for the team lead in points? (as a defensemen)

Its also my understanding that a player is auto cleared of waivers if the call up is due to injury. Im not sure if this is position based (only a forward can get called up for a forward ect)

[Edited on 2005/11/15 by rydified]

From the little I watched of him this year he seemed to be lazy yet good. He has what it takes but doesn't like to go all out. A chance at the NHL might wake him up.

I don't agree with that logic. A chance at the NHL is what he's been given before, and still has. You don't turn that chance into reality by being lazy. Getting to play in the NHL is a reward, not a wake-up call.