Julien's system ?

PB

Gainey as mentioned lately that what he was most pleased about his team was its chemistry on one hand and the success Julien have had in selling his system to the players.

Am not to shure about what would be Julien's system or how different it might be as compared to some other eastern conference teams ?

Well offensively it's the cycle. It's pretty noticablr. The 3 forwards play around the boards. The one with the puck dumps it back along the boards and the goes to the back of the line and the d-men just sit at the point.

I can't notice any defensive system.

Shorthanded I think they use a passive box.

Originally posted by Haboholic

i think defensively its man on man. thats the only thing i could really notice. each player takes on his own man

In the defensive area they seems to be playing zone conscious,... just like in PK time, except at this time it is done with less restrain than during PK,...they pursue and commit more knowing that they have a zone free center (koivu,etc) backing them up.

They are obviously doing a good job,....I think the CH goal against might be 4th in the league.

Yeah, the GA is up there. He's good at making and matching lines too. Julien definitely has a legit shot at the Adams Trophy this year. I'm not sure who the last Habs coach to win it was. Alain Vigneault was nominated a few years back.

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

Alain Vigneault was nominated a few years back.

AV juggled the lines too much I think, players never found their rhythm. But there were lots of injuries during his tenure as I recall. Anyway never liked him.

Originally posted by kaos

He was a decent coach

I've heard better about him. I heard he was very good. How would he get nominated for the Adams then?

He got nominated because he coached a team with almost 650 man games lost to injury to within a point of the playoffs. That is like having 8 regulars out the entire year due to injury. After that season he was fired bad break for him. He was a marvellous coach. From what I remember that season he had the same line-up for about 5 games that’s it.

I read somewhere that, when Gainey came to the Canadiens, he had Jarvis pegged as his coach. When he saw how well Julien was doing, he decided to stick with him.

One of the criteria was that Julien was doing especially well with the younger players, that is that they related really well to him. Since likely there was going to be an influx of these youngsters on the team that Julien would probably be the best choice... for now, at least.

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

'Tis true Shortcat, I guarantee you Julien would have gotten the axe if the team didn't make the playoffs in 03-04. Gainey, like 100% of NHL GMs, would have preferred his own man as head coach. That Julien has totally won over BG says much about how good Julien is.

And yes, Vigneault was a good coach. Why he was fired I will never understand. And for Therrien, too! Who do you guys think was worse? Tremblay or Therrien?

Originally posted by les_glorieux

what was so bad about therrien?

He was always yelling at the players and stuff. Remember the throat-slitting incident?

Originally posted by les_glorieux

what was so bad about therrien?

I thought Therrien was an absolute trainwreck. There was absolutely no discipline on his teams: non-existant d-zone coverage, no structure to the PP, and my biggest pet peeve, the sloppiest and laziest line changes I've seen from a professional hockey team. I can't even describe how many times we would get caught on 2 or 3-on-1s because of the shitty changes.

Nor was there any disclipline on the bench. I will never forgive Therrien for that bench minor in Game 4 against Carolina. If he shuts his mouth, then we kill that 5-on-4, win Game 4, and win the series in 6. And then we beat the Laffs in the semis. (Yes, then we get slaughtered by Detroit in the finals. Still.) Blame Fraser all you want, but what the hell was Therrien screaming about in the third period when his team had a 2 goal lead? I'm getting worked up just thinking about it...

Originally posted by JimmyBeans

Juliens system is a modified version of the trap.....using speed to break down passing in the Neutral Zone. Notice how its usually one man deep on the forecheck......while the wingers are set up around the blue line.

Your wright,....Julien's approch is one that favors the number of teams victories over inflated offensive production.

Individual offensive production will always be lower in Montreal as compared if those same players where playing for a different team under a looser system and that's why BG has credited Julien for having been able to get the players bying into it.....which is always easier said than done.

The team's rancking at this early stage couldn't be any more eloquent in demonstrating the appropriatness of Julien's system... with THIS team under the NEW on-ice environment.

What's keeps this year being an interesting one is that Julien feels he as enought fire power in his team to get away with relying exclusivelly on the ''dynamic trap'' covering the ''lone forechecker'', and so will, against some opponents, ask the players to force the play in the offensive zone from the get go,...just as they naturally do when they are trailing behind during the course on any game.

Julien's my man !

Ha.. Tremblay was way worse.. what with his jonny unitas haircut and 10$ suits.. he looked and acted like he was moonlighting fromhis day job selling used rv's..

As for Therrien among other things he can include on his resumee he was a bodyguard for Roch Voisine....

I mean what the hell were these guys doing behind the bench of the greatest sports franchise the world has ever seen.....dammit man. An entire decade almost, lost to the incompetence of a few back patting, secret handshaking idiots who were only endorsed by the morons on the 'journal' and rds payrolls.

Tremblay: worst Habs coach ever (or at least, since the Boomer). In addition to driving Patrick Roy off the team (how astoundingly stupid is that?), he also threw away Donald Brashear (sure, the pee wees of the late 1990s didn't need the toughness...) and his grasp of defensive systems was just awful. This led directly to the Turgeon for Corson debacle (an error made 'necessary' by the team's awful defensive play and Tremblay's ridiculous refusal to move Damphousse from centre back to his natural position on the wing). Then he pestered Houle into acquiring that brain-dead idiot, Richer, in exchange for the only tough d-man we had (Odelein). My god. The man made Therrien look like Scotty Bowman in comparison.

Still, in the end, you can't really blame the Blueberry, of course. He had zero coaching experience, and since his wretched Habs days he seems to have served Lemaire well as assistant. The real sinner is Corey, that jackanapse, who thought it would be a good idea to replace proven winners Serge Savard and Jacques Demers with a beer salesman and a clownish TV broadcaster. :guru: