It's official: Souray 100%, ready to play

Habs77

Just saw Souray interviewed during a golf tournament in Montreal... said he was 100% healthy, has been training 4 days a week during the summer, will start skating tomorrow.

Says his time off has helped renew his passion for the game, likes the changes that have been made - namely Gainey's arrival - and says the boys are eager to get going.

Very good news.

Now how about Rivet and HIS wrist?

Great news to hear! Souray was one of my fav players during their playoff run - he played with passion that I didn't think he possessed. So, besides all the training he did in the off-season, let's hope he went to a sports psychologist a few times so as to bring that passion and intensity to each and every game he plays.

Thats great news, with Komisarek playing the whole year and Souray being there too, it gives us a better defense.

Actually if our top six is Quintal, Rivet, Souray, Komisarek, Hainsey and Markov, we can have a very balanced physical, offensive, young and experienced top six.

Markov-Rivet

Souray-Quintal

Hainsey-Komisarek(which can be switched with the 2nd pairing if it reveals to be a disastrous idea)

I think that next year we will have a very intersting season.

Last time I checked Breezer was still here... so I'm thinking it'll look more like this:

Markov-Rivet

Souray-Komisarek

Quintal-Brisebois

Dykhuis or Traverse as #7

Hainsey would benefit from more prime ice-time in Hamilton.

Speaking of Hainsey, I didn't like that story that came out last week about him not paying rent where he stayed in Hamilton.

Not only did he not pay, but when the owner finally caught up with him Hainsey wrote him a bad check.

This kid's character was already being questionned and now this, I'm starting to dislike him more & more.

hehe, sorry about the big font. :D

In reply to Habs77, Traverse won't be No.7. That'll be between Dykhuis and Bouillion (1 way contract? :contract:).

Traverse will be in Hamilton with Beauchemin, Archer, maybe Hainsey. And TB's prospects too.

Markov-Rivet sounds about right. Hell, maybe Rivet surprises us. And maybe Markov doesn't follow Jose's lead from last year

Quintal-Komisarek also will work, and maybe (just maybe), Komo pulls a little Jackman magic?

Souray-Brisebois worries me the most, but if Breezy shows renewed fire (he can't possibly be as bad as he was last year... can he?), and Souray is even only half decent, we can do well.

Dykhuis won't be as bad as he was last year (please?), but unless we trade him or someone else, he'll be hard pressed to make the lineup.

And don't forget Bouillion. He made the biggest hits on the team last season. Pity he's the smallest on the team. Why can't Audette and Kilger take a leaf out of his book.

Whatever the lineup, I agree with most when I say I like our defence more and more.

:ghg:

Originally posted by TheAussiePosse

In reply to Habs77, Traverse won't be No.7.  That'll be between Dykhuis and Bouillion (1 way contract? :contract:).

Dykhuis makes 1.6M, I doubt the Habs can afford to pay him that to sit in the press-box... IMO he'll be dealt prior to camp.

Bouillon signed a 2 year deal, the first year is a two-way, the 2nd year a one way deal.

In other words he'll stay in Hamilton this year, then move up to #7 next year when Traverse's contract expires.

Markov-Rivet sounds about right.  Hell, maybe Rivet surprises us. And maybe Markov doesn't follow Jose's lead from last year

Sounds about right?.. this pair has been together for quite some time now, I didn't change anything.

Quintal-Komisarek also will work, and maybe (just maybe), Komo pulls a little Jackman magic?

Souray-Brisebois worries me the most, but if Breezy shows renewed fire (he can't possibly be as bad as he was last year... can he?), and Souray is even only half decent, we can do well.

That's not the pairs I proposed, but thanks for reading ;)

Nah, I was just trying a little improv. ;)

However, I want to keep one thing clear.

Unless injuries hit 3 of our defensemen at the same time, Traverse will not be Traversing with the Canadiens.

His cheap salary is definitely worth holding on to, even if it is just in hamilton.

But I do hope you're right when you say Dykhuis will dealt before camp.

Great news , now the debating can be put to rest (I mean all the "Souray isnt a lock to be back" crap...) .

Souray is healthy and will start the season ... barring another injury or a trade of course :)

At least no one can say our DEFENSE is small now. The forwards may still be puny but at least the D is massive..

Markov is the smallest guy (Talking about the starting 6) , but he's still pretty damn thick and well built.

I'm not as worried about our D's size as I am about their physical and defensive play.

We need to do a better job at clearing the front of the net, clearing rebounds for Theodore and get a better first pass out of the zone.

Too many turnovers in our zone and the neutral zone is probably the single biggest mistake by our defense. It is what leads to so many odd man rushes against us.

The other big problem is our forwards do not consistently come back to help the defense out. Of course when the forward is skating down the ice looking for his first pass only to have it intercepted it makes it tough to get back into that play...

Originally posted by Zowpeb

The other big problem is our forwards do not consistently come back to help the defense out.  Of course when the forward is skating down the ice looking for his first pass only to have it intercepted it makes it tough to get back into that play...

Our defensemen's job is to get the puck away from the opponent in the corner or behind the net, then send the puck along the boards towards the point.

Then it's up to our forwards to win the battle with the D man at the point to get the puck out... but our collection of small, weak , old wingers couldn't get the job done on too many occasions.

Hopefully as Ward & Hossa, younger/stronger/bigger wingers, get to play more we'll see an improvement in this area... and that'll help the defense a lot.

My comments about the forwards having their passes intercepted was more of a reference to neutral zone turnovers.

I know what you are saying about our older and smaller forwards but I also find that our C's really need to get back more as well. Koivu is okay but certainly not spectacular in the defensive end. Perreault and Ribs are both awful in their own zone...although I am holding out a slim hope that Ribs can learn this still.

I really only have confidence in Juneau, Kilger and Bulis to get back in our own end...as C's. Since Kilger and Bulis have historically played wing and less minutes it has been painful watching Audette, Perreault, Ribeiro and McKay.

A Bulis-Koivu-Zednik line might actually be solid in both ends of the rink.

I think our offensive AND defensive(for forwards) ability hinges on our second line this year. A 2nd line that is capable in both ends of the ice will help our team defense a lot. With Perreault and Audette around that won't happen. :nono: