Houle's Legacy

PMAC

Please forgive me for once again referring to the Dark years, but I found it interesting that from Houle's reign of error there are only four players left on the current Habs roster. An incredibly lucky 1998 draft gave is Ribs, 2nd round, Markov in the 6th round and Ryder in the 8th round. This shows that even then the hockey gods had not forsaken us. The fourth player is Souray who came over in perhaps Houle's only good deal, the Malakov trade.

Ah..... Houle bashing..... how I missed it..... NOT!

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

Houle deserves all the criticism he gets. But we must not forget that Serge Savard was poor in his last few years too. I won't even get into that Savard-Chelios trade... his drafting in the last few years, other than getting Koivu and Theodore, was horrible. Remember his fixation with the Seattle Thunderbirds? That got us Lindsay Vallis, Turner Stevenson, Brent Bilodeau and former T-Bird David Wilkie as first rounders in consecutive drafts. Horrible.

Savard trade at the time was good. He still had alot of good hockey left in him and played well in Montreal. Chelios did win two Norris trophies yes and the Canadiens could have gotten more for him, but at the time Savard was still an elite talent.

As for Savard's draft history. I will simply remind everyone of the 1984 and 1987 drafts.

Savard was pressured into the Chelios trade by that idiot Corey. He's been quite public about that. He's much more culpable on the LeClair deal, although I honestly don't believe that LeClair ever would have produced like that with us.

Remember that, after the Chelios debacle, Savard traded Richer for Muller, Corson for Damphousse, and Courtnall for Bellows. That's two second liners and a moron in exchange for the first line that led us to the 1993 Cup. Not too shabby.

:hockey:

Everyone still whines about the LeClair - Recchi trade, but LeClair had never scored more than 20 goals at the time and was a huge disappointment coming off the Cup win in 93. Recchi however was a multiple 100 point man. I remember being more pissed off at losing Desjardins and perhaps the best Elvis impersonator in NHL history in Gilbert Dionne.

The problem was that we gave up three NHLers and got back Recchi and a draft pick. At the time LeClair and Dionne still had tons of upside and Desgardins was a top defenseman. It sucked and Houles follow-up trade made it even harder to bear.

Then AS provided some consolation l by getting Bullis, Zed and Zhog for Darius what's his name

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

That was Savard.

Thats what I said " Then AS provided some relief..."

AS= Andre Savard

The BAD:

Trading Roy

Trading Rechi

Trading Leclair

and other fine goal scoring magicians

The Good:

Trading Thibeault (that was a good thing)

and Icing the worst team ever assemble by a MTL General Manager - EVER !

thanks for setting us back 10 years Peanut - thanks for ever ...:que::hlogo::que::nono::nono::mad::mad: