Game Thread | Canadiens vs. Devils | 11/18/05

JMMR

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

gotta admit I share some sympathy for the Devils myself... specially now that Larry is behind the bench! Would love to win by a Wide margin but wouldn't be too unhappy if we win in OT for the sake of Big Larry :>:>

Originally posted by TheMaxDaddy
Originally posted by shortcat1

This is one of the three teams that I 'despise'. :puke: Not so much the players but the team itself. Part of that is a 'childish' frustration over the fact that the Devils seem to have 'owned' the Canadiens ever since they came on the scene. :puke: What made this attitude even stronger is the fact that this is the team that 'introduced' the trap as a style of play.... capital yuck! :puke:

Anyway, as will shortly be said.... "Go Habs Go!" :D

I've alway felt that the Devils were more like the Habs Southern Edition. They've had a lot of players and staff with connections to the habs over the past 15 years. Probably why they've always worked hard in those games against the Habs.

Regarding the Devil's intro'ing the trap, didn't Lemaire bring the trap to the Devils after developing it with the Habs?

Their employing the trap was also a reaction to the state of the league in general. The league expended too quickly, there was a serious lack of offensive talent around the league. The Devils had an average roster, yet they found a very effective strategy that bought them huge success.

I've also always respected that at the end of the '83-'84 season, they didn't tank it to "win" Mario Lemieux. They told their players that they didn't want to be labled the worst team in the league, and to play hard. 20 years later, the Devils have a great team attitude and 3 cups. The penguins have Mario and only 2.

Finally, how could you dislike any team that featured Claude Lemieux, that guy was always entertaining to watch.

I bleed the Bleu, Blanc et Rouge, but the Devils are cool too. :devil:

I'm with you, MaxDaddy. I always respected and appreciated (if not always liked) the Devils. From 1995-2004, when basically how much money you had in the bank dictated how good your team was, NJ relied on good drafting, player development (their farm system is one of the best in the league) and savvy trades. When certain players got two expensive, they were eventually allowed to walk (Holik) or sent packing (Guerin). I always respected the way Lou Lamoriello ran things overe there. And if anyone thinks that the Devils will be down for long, you're insane. Keep in mind, they lost two of the their 3 irreplaceable players this year (Niedermayer + Stevens)... really, I'm shocked they're even staying afloat with the lineup they're sending out there these days.

I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for the Devils.

I was watching the NHL on TSN waiting for the Habs game to start, and Pierre MacGuire suprised me. They had their "NHL on TSN Poll" and the question was "Who is the NHL's First Quarter MVP?" Picks were Alfy, Jagr, Forsberg, and someone else I forget.

Pierre MacGuire got angry and started yelling "WHERE'S SAKU KOIVU?!"

I am in hope that Saku can pick up where he left off last game. He is really looking great this year and is really fiesty and not afraid to go into the corners.

If Jose is starting I hope he can pay well with the groin problem. I am not confortable with a goalie playing injured. This is a really hard position to play and now that forwards can run the goalies it worries me that his injury can get worse.:hlogo::hlogo:

Originally posted by Toren

I was watching the NHL on TSN waiting for the Habs game to start, and Pierre MacGuire suprised me. They had their "NHL on TSN Poll" and the question was "Who is the NHL's First Quarter MVP?" Picks were Alfy, Jagr, Forsberg, and someone else I forget.

Pierre MacGuire got angry and started yelling "WHERE'S SAKU KOIVU?!"

The last choice was Eric Staal.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if he was joking or not.

Originally posted by Howie_Morenz

I am in hope that Saku can pick up where he left off last game. He is really looking great this year and is really fiesty and not afraid to go into the corners.

If Jose is starting I hope he can pay well with the groin problem. I am not confortable with a goalie playing injured. This is a really hard position to play and now that forwards can run the goalies it worries me that his injury can get worse.:hlogo::hlogo:

I know, I'm really loving Koivu this year. If he stays healthy (knock on wood) he should have a career year. I agree with you about Jose though, I'm more than comfortable with Danis in net, so I'm surprised that they're not letting Jose rest. Hopefully he's back to 100% and it doesn't get any worse.

@Toren - That's much too funny! If Jagr is going to be on there, so should Koivu because Jagr's really tailed off lately. Or at least that's how it seems.

Michael Handzus scores. 1-0 Flyers. Defensive breakdown by the Thrashers. I have no idea who the ATL goalie is. If you haven't heard, Dunham got injured again and so did Steve Shields PLUS Kari Lehtonen won't be back for atleast another 3 weeks.:lol:

ooh, so if you count Nurmanen, Berkhoel is their 6th string. I guess Michael Leighton (he's the guy they tried before, right) is back-up.

Originally posted by dark_faerie87

I kind of feel sorry for them, I thought for sure that they'd make the playoffs this year. Last season too for that matter, until the whole Heatley fiasco...

Not me! I despise (but respect) Kovalchuk & Hossa... money-grubbing players give the NHL a bad name!