43 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

would the taxi squad (4 players minimum) be:

Frolik , Weal

Olofsson or Ouellet

Lindgren

Makes sense to me

7 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Sucks for Juulsen. 

I would have "paper"-demoted Romanov and I would have kept Juulsen on the roster.

I would have made a decision for the home opener.

===

But I am happy for Juulsen. He deserves a chance to play in the NHL

8 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I would have "paper"-demoted Romanov and I would have kept Juulsen on the roster.

I would have made a decision for the home opener.

===

But I am happy for Juulsen. He deserves a chance to play in the NHL

You still would have had a problem with too many men on the roster at that point.... unless you don't want Romanov actually playing the games.  The moment you want Romanov in the lineup, you have to demote someone, which would have meant waivers for Juulsen at that point.

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

You still would have had a problem with too many men on the roster at that point.... unless you don't want Romanov actually playing the games.  The moment you want Romanov in the lineup, you have to demote someone, which would have meant waivers for Juulsen at that point.

Romanov is an excellent prospect, but there was no need to rush into playing him on the road 

5 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Romanov is an excellent prospect, but there was no need to rush into playing him on the road 

If Juulsen was so good, he is older and with NHL experience.  He didn't beat Romanov in camp.  He didn't beat Mete.  He didn't make the roster.  He had his chance and wasn't one of the team's 7 best guys.  You want your 6 best on the ice in a short season.  They choose their 6 best and Romanov is one of them. 

Good luck in Florida. 

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

If Juulsen was so good, he is older and with NHL experience.  He didn't beat Romanov in camp.  He didn't beat Mete.  He didn't make the roster.  He had his chance and wasn't one of the team's 7 best guys.  You want your 6 best on the ice in a short season.  They choose their 6 best and Romanov is one of them. 

Good luck in Florida. 

I know what you write in your reply.

from an asset management point of view, it wouldn’t have hurt to wait one extra week, after other teams had made

dome moves and the injury bug had struck

Romanov would not have suffered irreparable development damage from waiting another 10 days

4 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I know what you write in your reply.

from an asset management point of view, it wouldn’t have hurt to wait one extra week, after other teams had made

dome moves and the injury bug had struck

Romanov would not have suffered irreparable development damage from waiting another 10 days

Its harder to sneak a guy through waivers after the season starts than it is now. 

There is a better chance of him clearing with 100 players on waivers in two days, then to wait ten days. 

After waiting ten days, there would be teams where the injury bug has struck, or some prospect in their lineup isn't producing, who will claim Juulsen at that point.

Also ask yourself, where is Juulsen on this coaching staff's depth chart. 

Clearly he's not top 7

Is he eighth or is Fleury, who won a job last year and played in the bubble?  Ouellet played ahead of him in the playoffs too. 

So he might even be our 10th defenceman in the coaching staff's eyes. 

For me, it came down to Kulak or Juulsen. I would have waived Kulak.  Saved the cap room and kept the prospect...  Would Kulak have been picked up?  Guess we'll never know.

With all the praise for Perry, it will be too bad to see him picked up by someone.  Then again, it cost us nothing and we didn't have him two weeks ago.

8 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

Are we cap compliant at this point?

Juulsen really had no impact as he wasn't projected to be on the roster ... if Frolik and Perry clear waivers, both of them going to the practice squad will make the Habs cap compliant ... then, as DBlair has noted, the daily cap maneuvers begin

Of course, using CapFriendly as the basis, that leaves only 12 forwards on the roster and that doesn't include Evans ... guess Byron would centre the 4th line ... or there is still something yet to happen

8 minutes ago, titanfan said:

For me, it came down to Kulak or Juulsen. I would have waived Kulak.  Saved the cap room and kept the prospect...  Would Kulak have been picked up?  Guess we'll never know.

Last year I might have agreed ... but in a "win now" season I don't think you keep Juulsen over Kulak ... Noah has had a significant injury history the last two years and Kulak played top 4 minutes last season (except perhaps when Scandella was with the Habs) ...

For me, the harder choice was between Mete and Juulsen ... IMO Mete is, and will be, a 6/7/(5?) defenceman but Juulsen ***may*** have still have 2nd pairing, shut-down potential and is a right-hand shot ... but I don't think that sitting in Montreal would have advanced his career, he needed lots of icetime and unfortunately a couple of ex-Habs (Dudley and Churla) were in place to advocate for taking him.

31 minutes ago, titanfan said:

With all the praise for Perry, it will be too bad to see him picked up by someone.  Then again, it cost us nothing and we didn't have him two weeks ago.

wow.... Kulak is a better player now, and i highly doubt Juulsen ever reaches Kulak's level.  He's the most underrated player on this team

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Juulsen really had no impact as he wasn't projected to be on the roster ... if Frolik and Perry clear waivers, both of them going to the practice squad will make the Habs cap compliant ... then, as DBlair has noted, the daily cap maneuvers begin

Of course, using CapFriendly as the basis, that leaves only 12 forwards on the roster and that doesn't include Evans ... guess Byron would centre the 4th line ... or there is still something yet to happen

On cap friendly... Weal, frolik and Perry would be off the roster... leaving 11 forwards.  Evans would then be added to get to 12 and centre the fourth line with Byron and Lehkonen. 

They'd be cap compliant in this scenario. 

Just now, Commandant said:

On cap friendly... Weal, frolik and Perry would be off the roster... leaving 11 forwards.  Evans would then be added to get to 12 and centre the fourth line with Byron and Lehkonen. 

They'd be cap compliant in this scenario. 

Thanks ... missed that they hadn't taken Weal off the list ... they are usually very quick to update, but I guess although Jordan has cleared waivers he hasn't yet been assigned to the AHL or taxi-squad.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Its harder to sneak a guy through waivers after the season starts than it is now. 

There is a better chance of him clearing with 100 players on waivers in two days, then to wait ten days. 

After waiting ten days, there would be teams where the injury bug has struck, or some prospect in their lineup isn't producing, who will claim Juulsen at that point.

I was not clear on my reply. I would have traded Juulsen rather than wave him, but I would have played him on the western team to increase his value.

I agree that later, the Habs would not have been able to sneak him through

25 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I was not clear on my reply. I would have traded Juulsen rather than wave him, but I would have played him on the western team to increase his value.

I agree that later, the Habs would not have been able to sneak him through

Plenty of western teams (at the bottom of the conference) didn't want him for free on waivers, since he went to Florida and waivers goes by last season's standings.

So who would have traded for him?

Really a shame to lose Juulsen like this, but we seem pretty loaded with D prospects with a similar or higher ceiling.  Maybe we get to reclaim him if Florida waives him.  

If Perry gets claimed that'll kind of take the wind out of the sails of this early season.  I was looking forward to seeing him in a Habs jersey, even he's a shell of his former self.