Getting the Roster ready: Habs Waived on January 10th

Commandant

5 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

If I am not mistaken:

NYR, LAK, OTT, DET, OTT, ANA, NJD, BUF, MIN, WPG, NSH skipped over

FLA claimed him.

Maybe Arizona (Demers is hurt), Pittsburgh (an upgrade on Ruhwedel), or Anaheim (an upgrade on Welinski?)

we forget Churla and Dudley in FLA... no wonder FLA scooped him up. Hes their guy

2 hours ago, titanfan said:

In an ideal world we would have traded Kulak for a 3rd round pick.  The gamble is whether someone takes Kulak off waivers.  We gambled on Juulsen instead, and lost.

Kulak was HUGE in the playoffs (or play ins) last spring.  I sure don't mind having him stay with the team either.  Our top 6 is strong.

I just think that, since we couldn't trade Kulak, if we wanted to keep Juulsen it would have been Kulak who would have been sent down.   

Sorry, 100% strongly disagree with everything in this post. 

Trade him for a third round pick?  Hell no.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm fine losing Juulsen, but he does, unfortunately, enter the list of a long line of 1st-round bomb-outs for the Habs. Sigh. In terms of salvaging the run from 2009-2016, a lot depends on Anderson panning out.

As for Kulak, he can certainly play quality minutes, but I guess inconsistency is his bugbear. Calgary viewed him as a marginal player and our coaches appear to have flip-flopped on him quite radically from his first to his second year with us. This seems like an important season for him: does he consolidate himself as a legit #4-5, or is he definitely a bubble player who goes on hot streaks where he looks like more?

Over the last 2 NHL seasons.... 150 games or so.... Kulak-Petry was the best pairing in the NHL for xG%.  The best pair in the entire NHL.  Its more than just a hot streak where he looks like more. 

Over that span... Every RHD, Weber, Petry, Juulsen, Fleury, has played better paired with Kulak than paired with any of the other D they have played with. 

He's a legit top-4 NHL Defenceman, and its time its recognized.  I'm actually glad he's breaking Romanov in, as he will help him a lot. 

Kulak is a legit, quality NHL player on a cheap salary.   Criminally underrated by this fanbase.  

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Sorry, 100% strongly disagree with everything in this post. 

Trade him for a third round pick?  Hell no.

agree. whats a 3rd rounder gonna do for us? we have another 14 picks in this upcoming draft... 

33 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

But Habs record with him in and out was the question... Not all the Habs depth on the wing. I would argue he's shown he's worth his cap hit when hes infact healthy and in the line up. 

My point is that Byron wouldn't get claimed at his cap hit... Perry might. 

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Over the last 2 NHL seasons.... 150 games or so.... Kulak-Petry was the best pairing in the NHL for xG%.  The best pair in the entire NHL.  Its more than just a hot streak where he looks like more. 

He also looked good with weber to start the season 2 years ago before abruptly getting moved down the line up and inserting Mete for no reason

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

My point is that Byron wouldn't get claimed at his cap hit... Perry might. 

he would 100% get picked up! Most likely by hometown OTT who have space and would be instantly better 

1 minute ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

He also looked good with weber to start the season 2 years ago before abruptly getting moved down the line up and inserting Mete for no reason

Yes as mentionned... Weber's stats with Kulak are better than with any other partner he has had.  Fleury's stats with Kulak are also better than with anyone else. Same for Jamie Benn on RHD, and same for Juulsen 

He has been the best LHD partner for every single RHD we have used in the last two years. 

1 minute ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

he would 100% get picked up! Most likely by hometown OTT who have space and would be instantly better 

I don't think so, if Tyler Johnson cleared due to salary and term, i think Byron would too.  Ottawa would be better off trading for someone's cap problem and exacting a return in picks and prospects on top of it to help their rebuild as Paul Byron is not getting them out of 7th in the division. 

23 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Over that span... Every RHD, Weber, Petry, Juulsen, Fleury, has played better paired with Kulak than paired with any of the other D they have played with. 

He's a legit top-4 NHL Defenceman, and its time its recognized.  I'm actually glad he's breaking Romanov in, as he will help him a lot. 

Kulak is a legit, quality NHL player on a cheap salary.   Criminally underrated by this fanbase.  

But also underrated by the coaches, it seemed, who downgraded him considerably for most of last season before rediscovering his merits in the “play-in.” 

I like Kulak. I like skating, rushing defencemen and I thought he was awesome in the post-season last year. But the coaches clearly have been unconvinced. If your numbers are so strong, what explains this - ?

53 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Philly picked 9th and took Samuel Morin. They could have had Domi, Wennberg, Zadorov, Mantha -- or Theodore.

Canucks picked just before us and took Hunter Shinkaruk.

Any draft will have countless examples like these. The probabilities are low, and there are no guarantees.

Yep. The worst way to look at a draft is to say, “we could have had X and instead we picked Y!” (Well, except in rare cases). It’s the overall pattern you have to look at.

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

My one question is if Perry goes unclaimed, will he need to clear waivers to jump from taxi squad back on habs roster?

Nope - re-entry waivers are a thing of the past.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Of course they passed on Shea Theodore to take McCaron ... in a lesser oversight, they passed on Brandon Lemieux who last year proved he may be a decent NHL 4th liner

That one's not an oversight.  Given the high importance they place on character, there's a good chance he was on the do not draft or acquire under any circumstance list.  His time in junior was checkered, to put it nicely.

Just now, dlbalr said:

... That one's not an oversight.  Given the high importance they place on character, there's a good chance he was on the do not draft or acquire under any circumstance list.  His time in junior was checkered, to put it nicely.

Perhaps ... but it is also an important part of scouting/evaluating talent is to be able to identify young TALENT whose poor behaviour can be "rehabilitated" ... not aware of Theodore having any issues since joining the NHL ... still think they missed something ... 

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Perhaps ... but it is also an important part of scouting/evaluating talent is to be able to identify young TALENT whose poor behaviour can be "rehabilitated" ... not aware of Theodore having any issues since joining the NHL ... still think they missed something ... 

Not Theodore, Lemieux.

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

No doubt, but Theodore was basically the *only* NHLer to be drafted anywhere near McCarron. It would be easier to criticize them for picking McCarron if there had been a meaningful number of quality picks in his general vicinity. Expecting them to just know that Theodore was the BPA is the kind of precision that can’t really be demanded of teams when drafting.

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

No doubt, but Theodore was basically the *only* NHLer to be drafted anywhere near McCarron. It would be easier to criticize them for picking McCarron if there had been a meaningful number of quality picks in his general vicinity. Expecting them to just know that Theodore was the BPA is the kind of precision that can’t really be demanded of teams when drafting.

And in the second round of the same draft, the Habs picked Lehkonen -- the only player in that second round that has played over 250 games to date. Precision drafting, then? Uhh, as happy as I am about that pick, there was luck involved in this one as well, you simply can't predict with that level of confidence.

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Fair enough ... Tinordi was a demonstrably worse pick as 5 of the next 10 picks have played at least 400 games in the NHL

But looking back at some of the 2013 rankings, Theodore was generally rated much higher than MM ... suspect DBlair is correct ... Mike was the "character" pick, over NHL talent potential ... personally, I would rather a player bomb for off-ice issues than just not be good enough

2 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

And in the second round of the same draft, the Habs picked Lehkonen -- the only player in that second round that has played over 250 games to date. Precision drafting, then? Uhh, as happy as I am about that pick, there was luck involved in this one as well, you simply can't predict with that level of confidence.

True ... of course they passed him over to take JDLR 34th and Fucale 36th before taking AL at #55 ... third time lucky I guess.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

But also underrated by the coaches, it seemed, who downgraded him considerably for most of last season before rediscovering his merits in the “play-in.” 

I like Kulak. I like skating, rushing defencemen and I thought he was awesome in the post-season last year. But the coaches clearly have been unconvinced. If your numbers are so strong, what explains this - ?

These coaches are stuck in a mindset that rewards guys like Jamie Benn and Ben Chiarot who hit people and block shots, even though the analytics show that while they are good, they are not better than Kulak.  Sadly, the GM thinks the same in adding Edmundson.  

Its my biggest critique of Bergevin... he loves the old school defenceman.  Its the same reason they signed Douglas Murray that summer.

Its the same mistake with Karl Alzner.

Its another reason why they wouldn't draft a Quinn Hughes when hes the highest guy on my board.  Thats not what they see in a defenceman.

The good thing is that at least Chiarot is still an above average D.  Lets hope Edmundson has some game and is not another Alzner.  But Kulak is better than both IMO.

• Upvote 1

We all know how much I hated the pick.

My highest rated guy was J.T. Compher whose become a 2nd/third line tweener in Colorado 

I wouldn’t had an issue if they drafted a guy with skill and skating ability that didn’t pan out (why I don’t complain about  the schrebak pick as much).  But McCarron had zero skill, couldn’t skate, but had the unicorn size. I as the same issue with Gainey’s  Tinordi pick - although he had the whole size+bloodlines thing going for him.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Fair enough ... Tinordi was a demonstrably worse pick as 5 of the next 10 picks have played at least 400 games in the NHL

But looking back at some of the 2013 rankings, Theodore was generally rated much higher than MM ... suspect DBlair is correct ... Mike was the "character" pick, over NHL talent potential ... personally, I would rather a player bomb for off-ice issues than just not be good enough

100% agree 

2 hours ago, DON said:

Why dont you like Byron?

It’s not that I don’t like Byron. I just don’t like his salary and the term he’s got left. Our depth had pushed him down the lineup.  It doesn’t make sense to spend that much on a 4th liner - especially for a team that is paying $15m (full year amount) for goaltending. I’d rather use that for a deadline deal, if the team actually plays like a team that can do damage.

9 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

It’s not that I don’t like Byron. I just don’t like his salary and the term he’s got left. Our depth had pushed him down the lineup.  It doesn’t make sense to spend that much on a 4th liner - especially for a team that is paying $15m (full year amount) for goaltending. I’d rather use that for a deadline deal, if the team actually plays like a team that can do damage.

I tend to agree with you - provided they use Toffoli on the left side. Otherwise, we will need Byron to be on form when “something happens” to Drouin (either a major injury or a huge slump or a fight with the coach or some other problem) as it probably will. Because Drouin. But yeah, if Toffoli flourishes at LW then it is pretty hard to see Byron anywhere other than Line 4.