Getting the Roster ready: Habs Waived on January 10th

Commandant

6 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

What's appealing about Perry is his rep as being a really unpleasant SOB to play against. That seems to fit the modus operandi that Bergevin has gone with...a critical mass of guys who just drive the opposition bananas. Of course, in order to be an effective agitator/grinder, he still has to be able to play a certain number of minutes on a semi-regular basis. But his value, such as it is, will probably be most obvious during the playoffs, which is when guys on their last legs often find another gear.

We’ll be tough, but with guys like Perry on the ice, our PK had better be good. We’ve already had guys like Domi who took idiotic selfish penalties.  Perry used to get away with a lot of crap since he was an elite player and still had a lot of PIM.  He won’t get the benefit on the calls he used to anymore. 

10 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

While I recognize the point and unpleasant appearance of that much salary on 4th line, I think it works for Mtl roster.

Prior to last season he had three consecutive 20+ goal seasons (per 82 gp) with very limited top 6 usage.    Dude is worth his contract just for that and then add in that the players, management, coaches love him (he's an "A").  So, I disagree that he is overpaid for what he brings to the table. 

This team  is without single player offensive star power, we need 3rd/4th liners who can play 12-15 min/night and get 20 goals.   

He causes no turmoil regardless of role he is given, is adaptable, kills penalties like a beast.     CHaracter player, he just needs to not drop the gloves imo.

You don’t pay guys for character in a cap system.  If he can stay healthy and produces in an even more limited roll, he may earn his salary, but I won’t be holding my breath for either to happen.

6 hours ago, DON said:

Screw that, had enough of the Semin/Hemsky/Gonchar/Ott's of the league.

But, most seem quite pleased he is signed and is no risk add-on, so i shouldnt whine too much.:popcorn:

I’m not as concerned with this signing as I was with the Semin, Hemsky Gonchar signings.  Those for dumb Hail Mary signings to fill big holes in the lineup.  Ott was just an idiotic signing that brought another marginal depth forward on a lineup lacking skill and over-flooded with depth player. Perry at least has the potential to chip in as cheap depth signing.

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

When we get into a tight checking playoff game, you know where they collapse to the net and push us outside?

Dress Perry

if we need a net presence, dress Perry. He is impossible to move and if you get chippy then he crushes you. One of the best tipper/deflectors in the game. 

Manage his minutes and we will love him. He was great in the playoffs this year 

WAS one of the best tippers a and deflectors in the game.  Still has some value as a depth signing. We are not getting the 2010-11 Perry.  Hell, we’ll be lucky if we are getting the 2019-20 Perry who was at least healthy.

First habs fans complain we have no depth and then when we go out and add significant depth to the team we complain that our depth is now too expensive for the 4th line.... Hello? Has having Byron on this team at 3.4M ever once hurt our team from signing a player? I don't believe so! And I don't see how it did this season either.

We complain we have no back up Goalie or we have all this CAP money and don't spend it for years.... When MB spends it on multiple players like Toffoli Anderson Allen and Edmundson, while also bringing over a stud D from Russia and resigning our best Dman and most consistent winger. In doing so, checks off all kind of boxes of wants and needs for this team... Yet we now somehow find a way to complain about being up against the cap! Its ridiculous 

YES Paul Byron is on the 4th line but he's not a 4th liner and doesn't belong there. Thats why he's getting 3.4M and thats why the habs are so deep. Because guys like Lehkonan and Byron are on the 4th line now. Our strength is our depth

But NO, lets waive our best depth player and one of our top 4 defenders so we can get CAP compliant, that makes a whole lot of sense...

At the end of the day we are now compliant and lost nobody but Juulsen which is unfortunate. However he was arguably 10th on our defensive depth chart. Thats not Byron's fault nor MB for believing Byron and his 3.4M cap are much better served on the Habs roster.

8 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

WAS one of the best tippers a and deflectors in the game.  Still has some value as a depth signing. We are not getting the 2010-11 Perry.  Hell, we’ll be lucky if we are getting the 2019-20 Perry who was at least healthy.

I agree that we are not getting prime Perry but if we manage his minutes - some offensive zone starts, key pp time etc. I don’t want him getting 15 plus minutes a game but he still has game. 

im curious if the leafs give joe a regular shift 

6 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

First habs fans complain we have no depth and then when we go out and add significant depth to the team we complain that our depth is now too expensive for the 4th line.... Hello? Has having Byron on this team at 3.4M ever once hurt our team from signing a player? I don't believe so! And I don't see how it did this season either.

We complain we have no back up Goalie or we have all this CAP money and don't spend it for years.... When MB spends it on multiple players like Toffoli Anderson Allen and Edmundson, while also bringing over a stud D from Russia and resigning our best Dman and most consistent winger. In doing so, checks off all kind of boxes of wants and needs for this team... Yet we now somehow find a way to complain about being up against the cap! Its ridiculous 

YES Paul Byron is on the 4th line but he's not a 4th liner and doesn't belong there. Thats why he's getting 3.4M and thats why the habs are so deep. Because guys like Lehkonan and Byron are on the 4th line now. Our strength is our depth

But NO, lets waive our best depth player and one of our top 4 defenders so we can get CAP compliant, that makes a whole lot of sense...

At the end of the day we are now compliant and lost nobody but Juulsen which is unfortunate. However he was arguably 10th on our defensive depth chart. Thats not Byron's fault nor MB for believing Byron and his 3.4M cap are much better served on the Habs roster.

yeah it’s wonderful to have a 4th line that will compete with other teams 2nd lines. 

our depth is taking us places 

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

yeah it’s wonderful to have a 4th line that will compete with other teams 2nd lines. 

our depth is taking us places 

Havent even dropped puck yet, i wouldnt put cart before horse.

Most of other Canadian teams wont be push overs.

Am most interested to see how the back-to back-to back games vs same teams play out (like vs Canucks next week). How heated will rivalries get?

11 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

We’ll be tough, but with guys like Perry on the ice, our PK had better be good. We’ve already had guys like Domi who took idiotic selfish penalties.  Perry used to get away with a lot of crap since he was an elite player and still had a lot of PIM.  He won’t get the benefit on the calls he used to anymore. 

That’s a good point. Everyone likes chippiness until their guys start getting penalized for it. As I suggested earlier, the true value of Perry - if he has any - will show itself in the playoffs, when the idiot refs shove the whistles up their buttholes, and where washed-up vets will often find an extra gear, knowing that they only have to play at that level for a limited period of time.  (A similar principle holds for many veterans - look at Shea Weber, who played with a level of intensity in his own zone during in the play-in which we haven’t really seen him bring on a day-in day-out basis since his arrival. It’s just more obvious when a guy is on his last legs).

27 minutes ago, DON said:

Am most interested to see how the back-to back-to back games vs same teams play out (like vs Canucks next week). How heated will rivalries get?

I think our biggest advantage are the back to backs. No other team has two starting goalies and I believe it will be huge. 

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I think our biggest advantage are the back to backs. No other team has two starting goalies and I believe it will be huge. 

2 hours ago, DON said:

Not sure why believing Byron and Lehks cant preform on the 4th line when they've been playing mostly 3rd and sometimes 2nd line minutes over the last few years.pretty sure the "cart is attached to 2 horses" Don

We do have a real nice mix of young mid aged and older players this year. I dont believe though that we are the only team with a tandem of goalies. i think there is actually a bunch of teams with 2 strong goalies

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That’s a good point. Everyone likes chippiness until their guys start getting penalized for it. As I suggested earlier, the true value of Perry - if he has any - will show itself in the playoffs, when the idiot refs shove the whistles up their buttholes, and where washed-up vets will often find an extra gear, knowing that they only have to play at that level for a limited period of time.  (A similar principle holds for many veterans - look at Shea Weber, who played with a level of intensity in his own zone during in the play-in which we haven’t really seen him bring on a day-in day-out basis since his arrival. It’s just more obvious when a guy is on his last legs).

I disagree about Weber.

he has been a beast all along (especially factoring that he was playing injured), but had to check his aggression because he was carrying a poor partner in Mete for most of season.

Give him a partner he can count on and see the extra aggression thrive.

He does not hold back until it matters as you elude to. The guy is a workhorse and captain for a reason, def not because he holds back until playoffs. That’s baseless and casts him in a light that is unfair.

1 hour ago, hockeyrealist said:

I disagree about Weber.

he has been a beast all along (especially factoring that he was playing injured), but had to check his aggression because he was carrying a poor partner in Mete for most of season.

Give him a partner he can count on and see the extra aggression thrive.

He does not hold back until it matters as you elude to. The guy is a workhorse and captain for a reason, def not because he holds back until playoffs. That’s baseless and casts him in a light that is unfair.

He spent the vast majority of last season with Chiarot... not carrying Mete.

On 1/12/2021 at 3:32 PM, Commandant said:

I'm saying that I'd rather keep Kulak and lose Juulsen for nothing, than lose Kulak for a draft pick. 

Kulak is a better player right now than Juulsen is ever going to be IMO>

Kulak absolutely would have been claimed, there are teams out there who know the analytics and see his worth.  If Juulsen didn't clear, there is absolutely a 0% chance that Kulak would have cleared. 

You are massively underestimating Kulak here, who is the third best D on this team.

At Kulak's salary he is a damn bargain, and you aren't on January 12th, cgoing to find a better player than him for the same money, so clearing that cap space is of no interest to me.

Kulak is a key part of this current team.  Juulsen isn't and may never be.  That's the bottom line here. 

Considering that his solid numbers are over both seasons with us, its also highly unlikely he is a one year wonder of a player.

Nice to be able to argue about 3rd pairing d-men isn't it? Now let's beat the Damn Leafs!!!