Getting the Roster ready: Habs Waived on January 10th

Commandant

Just now, Commandant said:

Brandon Baddock, Alex BelzileJoseph Blandisi, Laurent Dauphin, Jordan Weal, Noah Juulsen, 

Juulsen??? I would think someone would pick him up?  Another 1st rounder down the drain!

He's barely played for 24 months now because of injuries and COVID.  I can't see him being in high demand because if you grab him, you have to keep him on your roster and cut someone else.  He's not a lost cause but can use more AHL time. 

23 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Juulsen??? I would think someone would pick him up?  Another 1st rounder down the drain!

They think they can sneak him through since he missed so much time the last two years.  Does a team want to carry him as a seventh or eighth defenceman in the hopes of him eventually turning into a regular?  (It's basically Jarred Tinordi all over again except this time, they're not holding him and scratching him for weeks at a time.)  I see the logic in thinking they can get him through but I wouldn't be surprised if someone puts in a claim.

14 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

He still has good potential but there is significant risk due to the injuries so I don't know that many teams would make space for him on their NHL rosters.

6 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

They think they can sneak him through since he missed so much time the last two years.  Does a team want to carry him as a seventh or eighth defenceman in the hopes of him eventually turning into a regular?  (It's basically Jarred Tinordi all over again except this time, they're not holding him and scratching him for weeks at a time.)  I see the logic in thinking they can get him through but I wouldn't be surprised if someone puts in a claim.

Isn’t that how Gainey lost Hainsey?  I think it was similar with Beachaman - or that could have been the expansion draft. Getting too old to remember!

9 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Isn’t that how Gainey lost Hainsey?  I think it was similar with Beachaman - or that could have been the expansion draft. Getting too old to remember!

Off the top of my head, Hainsey was re-entry waivers and Beauchemin was during the lockout as they were trying to send him down to get some playing time (and it was before players were allowed to sign AHL-only deals).  But there weren't any NHL teams playing at that time whereas now there are so neither one is really comparable.

7 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I assume they are all Laval players or is Weal headed for taxi?

It'll be these players who primarily comprise the taxi squad, I'd imagine.  Lindgren will be the goalie, at least one of Olofsson/Ouellet on D, Weal and probably one of Dauphin/Blandisi/Belzile up front (more if they plan to put six on there).

The Hainsey-Beauchemin dumps were very costly errors which ramified for the franchise for years to come. Really unfortunate under-the-radar moves by Bob.

As for these waivers today, Juulsen is too bad - less because it’s a mistake to waive him than because he has been a bust - but the rest are no-brainers. Weal is sort of an interesting player, a guy who, when you first see him, seems to be fast and effective. But then you gradually realize that this guy simply cannot complete a play. It’s an odd combination. 

9 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The Hainsey-Beauchemin dumps were very costly errors which ramified for the franchise for years to come. Really unfortunate under-the-radar moves by Bob.

As for these waivers today, Juulsen is too bad - less because it’s a mistake to waive him than because he has been a bust - but the rest are no-brainers. Weal is sort of an interesting player, a guy who, when you first see him, seems to be fast and effective. But then you gradually realize that this guy simply cannot complete a play. It’s an odd combination. 

I think the Weal waiver is more about getting cap compliant.

14 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Here are their lines for tonight (and likely the first game)

Tatar - Danault -Gallagher
Drouin - Suzuki - Anderson
Toffoli - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Byron - Evans - Lehkonen

So there are 12 forwards who made the team
13 is likely Corey Perry (was not waived with the group)

If they keep 14 its likely Frolik (also was not waived with the group)

Could be keeping 13 or 14, but either way it looks like 2 other forwards are ahead of Weal.

So Weal just didn't make it.  

57 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Agree ... but they still need to clear $4,131 to be at the cap ... if my math and CapFriendly are accurate

26 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I think that also leaves Frolik and Poehling to be dealt with. If Perry makes it 22 players can we afford Frolik or will he get waived to?

Poehling to Laval I assume 

Poehling doesn't have to be waived, so I didn't include him.  I can't see them keeping him on the taxi squad once the AHL starts he needs ice. 

59 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Agree ... but they still need to clear $4,131 to be at the cap ... if my math and CapFriendly are accurate

I think you're missing a number in there.

Overage: $1,116,309

Less: $1,075,000 (rest of Weal's hit stays on)

Equals: $41,309 which is the new overage

Julien has suggested they're targeting a 21-player roster. I think they can do 22 if they want to get creative and start with Vejdemo at 4C for a bit - waive Frolik ($750K), recall Vejdemo ($700K) - the $50K in savings offsets the overage.

Then you shuttle the waiver-exempt guys down on non-game days and bank the cap room to swap Evans in for Vejdemo.  If they're aggressive enough, that could be done within a week.

If they want 21, it's either 12/7/2 (which means no Evans or 4C to start), 13/6/2 (which means no Romanov to start), or another veteran winger is going on waivers.  (Frolik is already waived in every scenario.)

40 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I think you're missing a number in there.

Overage: $1,116,309

Less: $1,075,000 (rest of Weal's hit stays on)

Equals: $41,309 which is the new overage

Julien has suggested they're targeting a 21-player roster. I think they can do 22 if they want to get creative and start with Vejdemo at 4C for a bit - waive Frolik ($750K), recall Vejdemo ($700K) - the $50K in savings offsets the overage.

Then you shuttle the waiver-exempt guys down on non-game days and bank the cap room to swap Evans in for Vejdemo.  If they're aggressive enough, that could be done within a week.

If they want 21, it's either 12/7/2 (which means no Evans or 4C to start), 13/6/2 (which means no Romanov to start), or another veteran winger is going on waivers.  (Frolik is already waived in every scenario.)

My bad ...used decimal points rather than complete numbers and got "fooled" by the calculator rounding

I'll bet on 21 as three of the main roster waiver exempt guys are key youngsters (KK, Suzuki and Romanov) who I don't think they want to "nickel and dime" on real dollars if they don't have to.

Yeah waiving Byron and then bringing him into the lineup after a week or so should get them under the cap. 

Shuttling guys back and forth, including anyone whose cleared waivers and Evans, KK, Romanov should get them cap space for the trade deadline. 

6 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

6 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Off the top of my head, Hainsey was re-entry waivers and Beauchemin was during the lockout as they were trying to send him down to get some playing time (and it was before players were allowed to sign AHL-only deals).  But there weren't any NHL teams playing at that time whereas now there are so neither one is really comparable.

We lost Hainsey at the end of training camp one year when we had to choose between either sending him or Mark Streit down.   There was lots of criticism at the time since Streit was an 7th round pick and Hainsey a 1st round pick.  I think in retrospect that they made the right decision.

At the very least, with the benefit of hindsight, its a very close call.

If people want to criticise the team for losing Hainsey they should recognize that the Habs had essentially no choice in this.

7 hours ago, dlbalr said:

If memory serves, with Beauchemin was Gainey not shocked that he was taken, believing that there was a "gentlemen's agreement" not to claim players while the NHL was in lockout?

2 hours ago, Peter Puck said:

We lost Hainsey at the end of training camp one year when we had to choose between either sending him or Mark Streit down.   There was lots of criticism at the time since Streit was an 7th round pick and Hainsey a 1st round pick.  I think in retrospect that they made the right decision.

If people want to criticise the team for losing Hainsey they should recognize that the Habs had essentially no choice in this.

You’re talking as if we had the 70’s dmen with 4 future Hall of gamers on defence and that the we had to choose Streit and Hainsey as the 7th dman with Robinson, Savard, Lapointe, Langway, Englom  and Chartraw ahead of them on the depth chart.  We had one elite dman in Markov who would make Souray, komisarik and Steit a lot of money. Only Streit proved he was a good dman without Markov.  The rest of the dmen we had played higher in the lineup than they would on other teams. Of those, only Rivet brought a good return later on.  But for the most part, the D represented the mediocrity of the team. 

we we were a bubble team and losing a 1st rounder for nothing on waivers is just poor asset management. Something bad teams do too often.

2 hours ago, Peter Puck said:

Hainsey cleared waivers going down. 

He got claimed when there were injuries and we tried to call him back (under a rule that no longer exists)