Game 1 COVID edition: Canadiens @ Maple Leafs

TurdBurglar

Really tough loss but a lot of positives as well.  We were in good shape until Drouin threw the puck into the ref behind his own net.  In OT we made one too many boneheaded turnovers.

All in all we look like a stronger, deeper team, and hopefully Anderson can keep it up with this kind of performance.  It just sucks to lose this one because it felt like we did enough to win, and every game is basically a four-pointer. 

And yet ... we came away with a point.

Some of the lines don't click yet, but it's not surprising given that there was no pre-season at all. Overall, I'm pretty happy with this start. Even if we could have easily won this game.

And Romanov and Anderson were super impressive. Toffoli and Edmundson were much less visible.

13 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I hate hearing how wonderful the leafs were and how Simmonds saved the day

Garbage reporting

That's why I am so glad I can watch the games on TVA/RDS ... hate Sportsnet ... not found of TSN

11 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

And yet ... we came away with a point.

Some of the lines don't click yet, but it's not surprising given that there was no pre-season at all. Overall, I'm pretty happy with this start. Even if we could have easily won this game.

And Romanov and Anderson were super impressive. Toffoli and Edmundson were much less visible.

Toffoli was visible on the ice, Edmundson look a lot like chiarot when he first played for us.

My take a ways

We finally have a NHL 1st line 

Drouin  / Suzuki  /Anderson  looked great.

Didn't see much from Danault and Gallagher. 

Toffoli and Kotkaniemi looked good just didn't finish.

I would take out Armia and put in Perry.

Romanov looks good 

Edmundson looks like he's going to be a slow star tell they find a good fit for him. 

9 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Looks like we have already swapped Romanov and Edmundson in the third.

I thought it was after a PK or Pp and meant to give them ice time 

Lets see next game if they play together again

17 minutes ago, Neech said:

Really tough loss but a lot of positives as well.  We were in good shape until Drouin threw the puck into the ref behind his own net.  In OT we made one too many boneheaded turnovers.

All in all we look like a stronger, deeper team, and hopefully Anderson can keep it up with this kind of performance.  It just sucks to lose this one because it felt like we did enough to win, and every game is basically a four-pointer. 

Yep, its a tough loss for sure.  In a regular season basically every game matters and in a shortened season with every point staying in the division that will be even more true.  Whenever a team is leading a game it is critical to win that game and in regulation time.  Basically the 3 teams that give up the most leads and lose games like that wont make the playoffs.

TO took over toward the end of the game. Didn't like that. Really bad luck on the tying goal - which sucks, and explains more than anything else why we lost. In a close game, breaks matter.

Romanov looked GREAT. As others, that mid-seam pass was pure Markov, or Subban. It's a long time since we've seen that. I have a thing for smart, skating defencemen, so I expect to be a fan of his by the end of the season. That said, I worry that the coaches will make too much of "risky plays" and whittle away his confidence. I expect his game to drop off perhaps around the 15-20-game mark.

Anderson looked like a BEAST!! He's like MaxPac blasting past D on the outside, but plays with an edge MaxPac never had. Bergevin looks like a genius right now for that deal.

Toffoli is no speedster (he looks oddly like Ryder out there) but he's smart and effective. 40-50 points.

Suzuki continues to make strides. That play in the third was absolutely unreal.

KK had moments, but I'd like to see a little bit more "oomph."

The big dud for me was Edmunson. Maybe he just needs time to get comfortable, but TBH the game just looked too fast for him.

And Drouin was a POS. I make a point of never expecting anything from him, so no surprise there.

1 minute ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Special teams kills us tonight... not good  considering we have 3 top PP teams in our division as per LY

Well, not exactly. We scored two PPG on four opportunities, and our PP actually (mostly) looked good. I have no complaint with that.

But we were shorthanded far too much, including 3-on-5. Our mistakes or the refs, either way we need to stay out of the box, especially against a team like Toronto.

30 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

TO took over toward the end of the game. Didn't like that. Really bad luck on the tying goal - which sucks, and explains more than anything else why we lost. In a close game, breaks matter.

Romanov looked GREAT. As others, that mid-seam pass was pure Markov, or Subban. It's a long time since we've seen that. I have a thing for smart, skating defencemen, so I expect to be a fan of his by the end of the season. That said, I worry that the coaches will make too much of "risky plays" and whittle away his confidence. I expect his game to drop off perhaps around the 15-20-game mark.

Anderson looked like a BEAST!! He's like MaxPac blasting past D on the outside, but plays with an edge MaxPac never had. Bergevin looks like a genius right now for that deal.

Toffoli is no speedster (he looks oddly like Ryder out there) but he's smart and effective. 40-50 points.

Suzuki continues to make strides. That play in the third was absolutely unreal.

KK had moments, but I'd like to see a little bit more "oomph."

The big dud for me was Edmunson. Maybe he just needs time to get comfortable, but TBH the game just looked too fast for him.

And Drouin was a POS. I make a point of never expecting anything from him, so no surprise there.

I’d be harder on Byron for the change than Drouin.  I expect that from Drouin. Byron should know better.

Actually, I don’t know why we they don’t just rotate the top 9 forwards in OT.

agrew on Suzuki. He looks like the real deal. Anderson looked good, but I want to see him over 20 games to see if he can be the consistent goal scorer we want him to be and not take dumb penalties. 

Romanov looked real good. If he can be good enough to move up to the top pairing, that would really address what I think is the biggest hole in the lineup.

lastly, the loss isn’t on Price, but Anderson won the goaltending duel in OT.  Might have been different story if someone other than Danault had the breakaway.

Just now, tomh009 said:

Well, not exactly. We scored two PPG on four opportunities, and our PP actually (mostly) looked good. I have no complaint with that.

But we were shorthanded far too much, including 3-on-5. Our mistakes or the refs, either way we need to stay out of the box, especially against a team like Toronto.

That’s the risk, when you want a “heavier” team. Take dumb unnecessary penalties.  Anderson took a dumb one.  No reason for Chariot, who is our top pairing dman, trade off with a 4th liner for 5min.

Awesome passing by Romanov, out there with 1 minute to go in 3rd so i assume Julien trusts him, 21:48 was a ton more than i expected.

Anderson was quite impressive.

Suzuki still pretty smart player, at both ends of ice.

Glad we didn't wait to long to find good ways to lose a game. 

Puck over the board on the PK   + hitting the ref just by our net. 

Great work.

Julien tends to keep lines together

in this short season I guess they will be evaluating /tweaking lines in shorter intervals : 5(?) games instead of 10(?) games intervals

As for Byron , CJ mentioned some players were having cramps; probably that is why he changed in OT. He was skating on one leg 

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Please get black hole Armia away from KK. 

Toffoli and KK looked good but Armia was absent. I’ll take Perry or Byron I’ll even take Frolik

Danault line didn’t look great either.

One game, after no pre-season games. No cause for panic yet. Armia, Danault and Gallagher will pick up their games, hopefully quickly.

5 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Please get black hole Armia away from KK. 

Toffoli and KK looked good but Armia was absent. I’ll take Perry or Byron I’ll even take Frolik

Danault line didn’t look great either. 

Alas this was game one

I would take him out and add  Perry to that line. Would add net presence to it.