Game 1 COVID edition: Canadiens @ Maple Leafs

TurdBurglar

7 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I don’t dislike Armia 

I want KK line to fill the net. Imagine flipping Armia and Anderson. KK line would explode and Suzuki line would suffer. 

I agree that Anderson is better than Armia.

I just don't see a better fit for Toffoli and Suzuki than Armia.  Its the third line, and we already have 5 wingers better than him being used in the top 6, (Anderson, Drouin, Gallagher, Tatar) or on that line (Toffoli).  You can't switch with any of them, cause thats more minutes for Armia and less for the better winger, as Suzuki and danault will be the big minute Cs.

So who is left?

Armia is a better player today than Corey Perry (who had 4 ES goals last year) and Michal Frolik

Armia vs Lehkonen is really close, but Armia wins on size, Lehkonen on smarts and defensive play, its really close, and Armia seems to score more.

Armia vs Byron, i think you need a guy who is going to do the forechecking and the board work and grab loose pucks on that line, so I think Armia is better suited to it. 

I don't see what winger is better for that line.

8 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I agree that Anderson is better than Armia.

I just don't see a better fit for Toffoli and Suzuki than Armia.  Its the third line, and we already have 5 wingers better than him being used in the top 6, (Anderson, Drouin, Gallagher, Tatar) or on that line (Toffoli).  You can't switch with any of them, cause thats more minutes for Armia and less for the better winger, as Suzuki and danault will be the big minute Cs.

So who is left?

Armia is a better player today than Corey Perry (who had 4 ES goals last year) and Michal Frolik

Armia vs Lehkonen is really close, but Armia wins on size, Lehkonen on smarts and defensive play, its really close, and Armia seems to score more.

Armia vs Byron, i think you need a guy who is going to do the forechecking and the board work and grab loose pucks on that line, so I think Armia is better suited to it. 

I don't see what winger is better for that line.

This is completely true

I suppose I now see Danault line as the third and KK as second. 

Mute point right now cause you are right that we don’t have anyone better. I considered Byron due to speed and Perry due to power but Thornton was too slow and Perry probably is too   

We will see how things shake out in the next few games. If we do have trouble scoring maybe we can look at Gallagher with KK. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

This is fine for the third line which is going to get nice matchups as well, as other teams will focus on the Suzuki line, and Danault will play top lines.

In last night's game, the Leafs had the last change so they could control the line match-ups. Looking at the advanced stats (naturalstattrick.com), it seems that Leafs played their top two lines mostly against our bottom two lines (at even strength), and our top two ended up mostly playing against their bottom two. Or am I interpreting the stats incorrectly? I was not looking for this when watching, so I can't remember the match-ups from watching the game.

54 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Look around the division... you'll be hard pressed to find too many 3rd line wingers better than Armia. 

The Athletic ranked our third line (they assumed Lehkonen instead of Armia, but the two are very close) as fifth best in the league, based on Dom L's model.

And they ranked our fourth line (Byron, Evans, Armia) the best in the entire league. (First line was ranked 10th, the second at 22nd.)

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

In last night's game, the Leafs had the last change so they could control the line match-ups. Looking at the advanced stats (naturalstattrick.com), it seems that Leafs played their top two lines mostly against our bottom two lines (at even strength), and our top two ended up mostly playing against their bottom two. Or am I interpreting the stats incorrectly? I was not looking for this when watching, so I can't remember the match-ups from watching the game.

That seems to be measuring the faceoff only.  The Habs were quick to make changes on the fly to get Danault or Suzuki out there vs Matthews and Tavares. 

21 minutes ago, Commandant said:

That seems to be measuring the faceoff only.  The Habs were quick to make changes on the fly to get Danault or Suzuki out there vs Matthews and Tavares. 

I was looking at the HDCA/HDCF to get a rough idea. It seems that the Suzuki line's chances were against the bottom two Leafs lines, for the most part. Maybe.

Habs defense gets bigger and meaner now TSN has a pro-Leaf story about Matthews getting crosschecked in front of the net.  The guy took a few, continued on, puck left the zone, then he starts to act hurt.  Now cross checks in front of the net are a problem.

42 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Habs defense gets bigger and meaner now TSN has a pro-Leaf story about Matthews getting crosschecked in front of the net.  The guy took a few, continued on, puck left the zone, then he starts to act hurt.  Now cross checks in front of the net are a problem.

Mathews landed many of his own cross checks. 

Besides if you think you are gonna park your ass in front of our net without consequences your nuts. 

22 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

And Drouin was a POS. I make a point of never expecting anything from him, so no surprise there.

Really?

I thought it was a bad luck play on the tying goal. Had it not hit the ref, there wouldn't have been a goal. Also, Drouin did get two assists in this game...I wouldn't qualify that as a POS, but that's just me.

Don't get me wrong, never been a huge fan of Drouin, but i thought he played a decent game yesterday, that's why i'm a little surprised by your assessment of his game last night!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Habsfan said:

Really?

I thought it was a bad luck play on the tying goal. Had it not hit the ref, there wouldn't have been a goal. Also, Drouin did get two assists in this game...I wouldn't qualify that as a POS, but that's just me.

Don't get me wrong, never been a huge fan of Drouin, but i thought he played a decent game yesterday, that's why i'm a little surprised by your assessment of his game last night!

I agree with you.

Drouin played well, was engaged, back checked, and fits well on that line.

suzuki and Anderson can drive the play and he shines in finding gaps and making subtle plays such as his two assists. That bad bounce off of the ref was just a combo of bad luck, rust, rushing the play due to fatigue/rust.

The Habs looked tired near end of game and OT.

Drouin did what is expected and doesn’t deserve any criticism.

Their line was dominant, he got two assists, was visibly engaged and people still shit on him, that’s BS.

I too am not a huge fan of him, but give him credit for playing with intensity and good vision in game 1.

If he keeps this up he will be the asset we hoped for.

8 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Mathews landed many of his own cross checks. 

Besides if you think you are gonna park your ass in front of our net without consequences your nuts. 

Agreed, he also stuck out his knee to clip Anderson with a questionable play. I can’t wait to see how good a memory Anderson has for that. Same hit he attempted to go for the head too with a two arm elbow/punch but missed.

He (Matthews) is very competitive, can get riled up and that could work in opponents advantage, or spur him onto a ten shot/four goal game.

Take away his space, lay the body/lumber every chance you get without takin a penalty or getting out of position.

Matthews is still the ignorant #### that sexually assaulted a security guard and tried to hide it so won’t take much to rattle his cage.  Got a kick out of the him being the primary face in the thank you to front line workers, seems obvious attempt to clean up his image after that fiasco. Screw him and his ugly dirt stache, damn that is ugly.

Chiarot blew it on the game winner, totally overplayed the puck carrier.

let the goalie have the shooter on a 2 on 1, he cost us the game there. If he’d let Price gave Tavares and taken away the pass I would bet on Price to make the save.

1 hour ago, hockeyrealist said:

Chiarot blew it on the game winner, totally overplayed the puck carrier.

let the goalie have the shooter on a 2 on 1, he cost us the game there. If he’d let Price gave Tavares and taken away the pass I would bet on Price to make the save.

Agreed Chiarot misplayed it, but Byron, the fastest player on the team, bailing to the bench after Leafs got possession is unacceptable.  I think Chiarot may of thought Byron was going to cover Rielly on the back check.