2021 NHL General Discussion

hab29RETIRED

Watching Laine and the Jets beat Calgary 👍 Anyone else getting tired of the fake crowd noise.

• dlbalr pinned this topic

The stupid fake crowd noise reminds me of the atrocious old video game “Blades of Steel.” 

They should have gone in the opposite direction: mic the players and coaches, and use the bizarre empty arenas as an opportunity to take us as close to being “inside the game” as possible. Oh, well, at least they knocked it out of the park with the Canadian Division (or “Dollar Bill’s Discount Money Lenders North Division” or whatever the hell they want to call it).

Referees for the 'Dollar Bill’s Discount Money Lenders North Division' as CC so eloquently put it:

Kendrick Nicholson

Brad Meier

Eric Furlatt

Kevin Pollock

Marc Joannette

Graham Skilliter

Chris Schlenker

Mitch Dunning*

Michael Markovic*

Corey Syvret*

*-AHL referees

There's also a list of linesmen that will be restricted to North Division duty but I wanted to mention the referees at least so everyone could rejoice in not seeing Chris Lee's name on there. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Referees for the 'Dollar Bill’s Discount Money Lenders North Division' as CC so eloquently put it:

Kendrick Nicholson

Brad Meier

Eric Furlatt

Kevin Pollock

Marc Joannette

Graham Skilliter

Chris Schlenker

Mitch Dunning*

Michael Markovic*

Corey Syvret*

*-AHL referees

There's also a list of linesmen that will be restricted to North Division duty but I wanted to mention the referees at least so everyone could rejoice in not seeing Chris Lee's name on there. 

Thank God

We have a chance 

I absolutely hated the neutral zone "drop pass" PP set up play...but last night when seeing McDavid coming at full steam through neutral zone, it looks unstoppable.

Good god i wouldnt of wanted to be that Canuck d-man with that guy coming in at that speed.

Too bad he is toiling away in floundering Edmonton and isnt in a Hab jersey.:(

10 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Kendrick Nicholson

Brad Meier

Eric Furlatt

Kevin Pollock

Marc Joannette

Graham Skilliter

Chris Schlenker

Mitch Dunning*

Michael Markovic*

Corey Syvret*

*-AHL referees

Not gonna lie - as I’m reading the list I’m looking for Lee ... then I see your last sentence referencing him. 

I’m not big on conspiracies and I feel refs are as impartial as they can be ... but we seem to have just too much Lee history for me to think that’s true about him. He formed an opinion thinking we were yappy and flopping and true or not back then, I don’t think he has a short memory or forgiving spirit. 

10 hours ago, revvvrob said:

Not gonna lie - as I’m reading the list I’m looking for Lee ... then I see your last sentence referencing him. 

I’m not big on conspiracies and I feel refs are as impartial as they can be ... but we seem to have just too much Lee history for me to think that’s true about him. He formed an opinion thinking we were yappy and flopping and true or not back then, I don’t think he has a short memory or forgiving spirit. 

What I've found interesting is that one of the worst judges in MMA is also named Chris Lee. I've oft wondered if they are the same person, as I've never noticed him reffing and judging on the same night, haha. Of course, that is due to never actually looking that up.

Got up early and tuned in on the Avs game. (Early morning in Europe)

Colorado is the real deal. Makar, Girard and Burakovsky impressed. 8-0 in the end. Great display for what has to be considered cup favorites.

Also saw Sens-Leafs. Toronto lost, but I think both teams looked terrible. How and why the Sens signed Murray is beyond me... And the hype regarding Vesey? Whats that all about?!

If this is only a $10,000 fine then I would HATE to see what deserves a one game suspension, or more.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/penguins-mccann-fined-10k-elbowing-flyers-sanheim/

Nice to see Tampa and Boston ranked by Wheeler of The Athletic, as bottom two teams prospect pools, if same divisions are gonna be reunited.

The Ranking

31. Boston Bruins

30. Tampa Bay Lightning

29. Pittsburgh Penguins

28. New York Islanders

27. Columbus Blue Jackets

26. St. Louis Blues

3 hours ago, ch_nl said:

Got up early and tuned in on the Avs game. (Early morning in Europe)

Colorado is the real deal. Makar, Girard and Burakovsky impressed. 8-0 in the end. Great display for what has to be considered cup favorites.

Also saw Sens-Leafs. Toronto lost, but I think both teams looked terrible. How and why the Sens signed Murray is beyond me... And the hype regarding Vesey? Whats that all about?!

I’ve learned to ignore Toronto hype from their media. Lots of hot air 

15 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I’ve learned to ignore Toronto hype from their media. Lots of hot air 

TO and Montreal have to be the absolute worst markets in the game for hyping up nobodies into sure-fire superstars.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

TO and Montreal have to be the absolute worst markets in the game for hyping up nobodies into sure-fire superstars.

Maxime Lapierre comes to mind as an exemple of a nobody that was hyped by the media; but there are

sioo many examples 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/maple-leafs-spezza-will-retire-claimed-waivers-agent-says/

So, as long as they have $700K in cap space (to, I assume, be able to claim him), another team can take away a player from the Leafs without ultimately adding to their cap hit just by claiming him on waivers?

8 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/maple-leafs-spezza-will-retire-claimed-waivers-agent-says/

So, as long as they have $700K in cap space (to, I assume, be able to claim him), another team can take away a player from the Leafs without ultimately adding to their cap hit just by claiming him on waivers?

In theory, yes.  They could suspend him for not reporting which would take him off the cap and leave it at that but they'd still have to eat the contract slot potentially if Spezza responded by refusing to retire.  If they waived him for termination, the Leafs could just claim him back.

40 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

In theory, yes.  They could suspend him for not reporting which would take him off the cap and leave it at that but they'd still have to eat the contract slot potentially if Spezza responded by refusing to retire.  If they waived him for termination, the Leafs could just claim him back.

Thanks ... a team like Winnipeg (with 7 open contract slots) could perhaps afford to hold the "dead contract" through June 30th if they chose to ... Canucks, Sens and Flames with 4 slots, Habs 3 and Oilers 2 have less leeway ... HUGELY unlikely, but I would love to see Leafs "messed with" ... and. having to have put up with Spezza as a 67s fan in junior and then living with the $%$^$ Sens fans when he was with Ottawa, I would love to see it backfire on Spezza

Happy to see Dell picked up by NJD. There goes Toronto’s goaltending depth and Anderson is struggling 😎

So don't invite the Mikes to the same party.

18 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

So don't invite the Mikes to the same party.

I just wish Commodore would drop the "robot NHL speak" and tell us how he really feels. SHEESH 😬

• dlbalr unpinned this topic