2021 NHL General Discussion

hab29RETIRED

1 hour ago, illWill said:

Imagine thinking we lost that trade 

It will likely turn out to be one of Bergevin’s best trades. 

1 hour ago, illWill said:

Imagine thinking we lost that trade 

I had serious doubts about that trade at the time as I didn't like the age difference (4 years).  Weber has turned out to be a rock on defence  and a leader while PK seems more interested in other things than hockey. Maybe not Bergevin's best trade but a good one. I think we will look back and say the Pacioretty trade was be the best one as Suzuki will be a stud for a long time. 

44 minutes ago, DON said:

But, Weber deal was "bit" more spirited debate than Pacioretty one...that is for sure.

Beloved Subby vs oft times hated 35g scoring Capt. Pacioretty.

True, I remember a lot of debate on the Weber trade, many differing opinions. I think most here saw the Pacioretty trade as likely a good one even though we had no idea how good Suzuki would turn out to be. 

Per The Athletic Penguins GM search: 5 early favorites include Rangers, Bruins execs – The Athletic:

It is expected that interim GM Patrik Allvin, in addition to what is essentially an on-the-job interview, will be the first candidate to actually interview for the full-time position, multiple team sources told The Athletic late Thursday.

Specifics of that interview — when, where, how — had not been determined as of Friday morning.

The other top-tier candidates are listed here:

image.png

Those candidates are listed in alphabetical order. 

Not listed is current Devils GM Tom Fitzgerald, whose contract is set to expire in June, two league sources said.

Were he available, Fitzgerald “probably would be the GM by Monday,” a team source said.

Predicted a league source: “If it’s April, the Penguins don’t have a GM and the Devils haven’t announced an extension for Tom — hey, 1 plus 1 still equals 2. If you ask me, he’s the perfect fit. But he has a job.”

Fitzgerald, a former Penguins assistant GM, left the organization on good terms after the 2014-15 season to join his former Pittsburgh boss, Ray Shero, with the Devils.

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Penguins GM search: 5 early favorites include Rangers, Bruins execs – The Athletic ... Habs could lose another from their front office:

It is expected that interim GM Patrik Allvin, in addition to what is essentially an on-the-job interview, will be the first candidate to actually interview for the full-time position, multiple team sources told The Athletic late Thursday.

Specifics of that interview — when, where, how — had not been determined as of Friday morning.

image.png

Those candidates are listed in alphabetical order. 

Not listed is current Devils GM Tom Fitzgerald, whose contract is set to expire in June, two league sources said.

Were he available, Fitzgerald “probably would be the GM by Monday,” a team source said.

Predicted a league source: “If it’s April, the Penguins don’t have a GM and the Devils haven’t announced an extension for Tom — hey, 1 plus 1 still equals 2. If you ask me, he’s the perfect fit. But he has a job.”

Fitzgerald, a former Penguins assistant GM, left the organization on good terms after the 2014-15 season to join his former Pittsburgh boss, Ray Shero, with the Devils.

2 hours ago, DON said:

But, Weber deal was "bit" more spirited debate than Pacioretty one...that is for sure.

Beloved Subby vs oft times hated 35g scoring Capt. Pacioretty.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

True, I remember a lot of debate on the Weber trade, many differing opinions. I think most here saw the Pacioretty trade as likely a good one even though we had no idea how good Suzuki would turn out to be. 

In short, I was for the Weber trade and wanted to keep Pacioretty. 

I remember the brave few who were with me on the Weber deal but can’t quite remember almost anyone else wanting to keep Pacioretty. That being said, I once again was happy with the deal.  Not because of Suzuki, but because of Tatar, in addition to Suzuki, because we were at least getting a proven NHLer as well in return for our captain. 

As for Tatar, people like to throw him in to this deal here and that deal there. “He’s likely gone anyway”, etc. However he’s been a very serviceable player for us these past few years. As for Suzuki? Well, his name is going on my newest jersey.

I never had a Pacioretty jersey.

As a side note, I still have Subban in one of my pools. 😁 He’s still getting some shots, hits, blocked shots, as well as the minutes. I think there are some potentially more offensively gifted defensemen on their team now though. Ty Smith has been doing well.

Chantal is generally a reliable reporter ... an interesting turn if true

https://twitter.com/ChantalMachabee/status/1356644819527942145

Patrik Laine jouera sur le premier trio des #Bluejackets ce soir face aux Stars de Dallas.
Laine-Texier-Atkinson;
Grigorenko-Foligno-
Domi;
Jenner-Roslovic-Bjorkstrand;
Robinson-Koivu-Foudy.

23 hours ago, Commandant said:

Are they really playing Foligno at Centre and both Grigorenko and Domi on the wings.  That looks off to me.  You have the two natural centres at wing, and the natural winger at centre???

They did start out that way. Foligno played at least part of a season a few years ago at center. Was not aware Grigorenko was a natural center; can't recall him lining up there in Columbus yet. I will say that I just rewatched several shifts and it seemed like Foligno was playing center defensively, but when they transitioned to offense, Domi tended to be in the middle. So the positions were very fluid.

Tomorrow Domi is going to be centering Laine and Texier.

34 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

They did start out that way. Foligno played at least part of a season a few years ago at center. Was not aware Grigorenko was a natural center; can't recall him lining up there in Columbus yet. I will say that I just rewatched several shifts and it seemed like Foligno was playing center defensively, but when they transitioned to offense, Domi tended to be in the middle. So the positions were very fluid.

Domi has wheels and is a great passer. I don’t see how he doesn’t get many assists. 

42 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

From what I've often read, the "centre" is really a defensive designation ... once the puck moves up players can go any-which way depending on how the flow takes them ... as for faceoffs, I've long wondered why teams don't find out, through practice trail and error, which players (other than goalies) are best on faceoffs ... then whoever on the ice is the best takes the draw ... although it would perhaps make sense to limit it to forwards outside the defensive zone

1-8-1 for Sens so far, wonder how many wins they will end up with, or just how bad are they?

Will they battle Detroit (2-6-2) for last in league all season?

5 minutes ago, DON said:

1-8-1 for Sens so far, wonder how many wins they will end up with, or just how bad are they?

Hopefully they won't be "our Wings" this season.

25 minutes ago, DON said:

Sens always play us hard. I’m curious if that remains true with our new and improved Stanley cup about to be champion team?

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Sens always play us hard. I’m curious if that remains true with our new and improved Stanley cup about to be champion team?

I have watched Sens play a few games vs west teams and they look like an easy 2 points; but, the whole Red Wings debacle last year has me spooked.

Hopefully the improved PP and depth will help ensure they play "good enough". 

5 minutes ago, DON said:

I have watched Sens play a few games vs west teams and they look like an easy 2 points; but, the whole Red Wings debacle last year has me spooked.

Hopefully the improved PP and depth will help ensure they play "good enough".

Hopefully they remember the Red Wings debacle last year and take the Sens seriously.

2 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Hopefully they remember the Red Wings debacle last year and take the Sens seriously.

You got that right. Surely Ottawa isn't as bad as they have looked so far?  Their goaltending has been real bad. I just have this terrible gut feeling that Ottawa will come up with their best effort of the year tomorrow night. 

14 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The NHL is stupid. 

Its just plain staight up making up rules as we go. 

I was just coming on here to post about this. It's one thing to make a bad call. But how do you make such a quick decision on a review without looking at all the available angles? And if you can retroactively undo a penalty call, how the hell do you not also undo the goal that should have been called off? Y'all think Toronto hates Montreal, but Columbus gets absolutely no love either.

On 1/30/2021 at 12:37 PM, GHT120 said:

Per The Athletic Penguins GM search: 5 early favorites include Rangers, Bruins execs – The Athletic:

image.png

Pens are still working at this, but bot Mellanby and Rangers AGM Drury declined to apply for the position. Maybe Mellanby is positioning himself as Bergevin's successor?

• dlbalr unpinned this topic