2021 NHL General Discussion

hab29RETIRED

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Leafs managed to dump two useless(ish) contacts off their total in the process (Korshkov and Warsofsky) ... Dubas is better than I want to give him credit for.

And we ended up with Josh Anderson out of this sequence of trades. Not so bad at all!

1 minute ago, tomh009 said:

And we ended up with Josh Anderson out of this sequence of trades. Not so bad at all!

Non-sequitur as this is from a divergent branch of the Galchenyuk history ... but true

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Leafs managed to dump two useless(ish) contacts off their total in the process (Korshkov and Warsofsky) ... Dubas is better than I want to give him credit for.

Korshkov's a decent prospect.  Not a top-six guy but I could see him cracking the fourth line one day in Carolina. 

Max may be getting whiplash ... up/down, centre/wing

Columbus Blue Jackets on Twitter: "Elvis is in the 🥅 vs. NSH! #CBJ | @BlueTech_Inc https://t.co/aGChpJR1S7" / Twitter

image.png

Aaron Portzline on Twitter:
Max Domi’s struggles — both offensive and defensive — land him on the Blue Jackets’ fourth line.

“It’s a concern. I’m sure it’s a concern of Max’s, too.” — #CBJ coach John Tortorella 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Domi better learn to play defence or his career will be over 

I thought he would do fine there and get his 20+goals in 82 gm season.

I like this new trend that players we get rid of isnt becoming good players anymore. Before it was the other way.

Chelios, Leclair, Turgeon...

Now its Subban, Galchenyuk, Domi.

We are winning trades.

6 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

I like this new trend that players we get rid of isnt becoming good players anymore. Before it was the other way.

Chelios, Leclair, Turgeon...

Now its Subban, Galchenyuk, Domi.

We are winning trades.

And losing at the draft 

11 hours ago, Commandant said:

Torts feuding with one of his best talents is predictable.

Domi/Galchenyuk spent some time on the 4th line as part of the Habs organization as well.

2 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Domi has all the skill needed to succeed but if he won’t play defence then he won’t be around long

How many forwards that don’t play defence are there in the league? Fewer and fewer 

Agree, Torts holds players accountable. You can't be a 1 way player with Torts. 

1 minute ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Domi has all the skill needed to succeed but if he won’t play defence then he won’t be around long

How many forwards that don’t play defence are there in the league? Fewer and fewer 

I agree ... and any forwards that get away with poor defence are consistent, top-end offensive producers ... it wasn't as much of an issue in 2018/19 when Domi was the Habs leading goal scorer and points producer; Julien couldn't;'t afford to make it one ... Max is facing the same challenges he faced with the Habs but with a far more public coach ... it will be interesting

3 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Domi/Galchenyuk spent some time on the 4th line as part of the Habs organization as well.

Domi spent two weeks there during the bubble because Suzuki and Kotkaniemi emerged as legit centres and we were 4 deep down the middle

That's not what is happening in Columbus, who has the worst (or second worst) centre depth in the NHL, and is using him on 4th line wing. 

2 entirely different situations. 

I'm not sure where Galchenyuk fits into this, seeing as he's not in Columbus (yet), and other teams have used him on the fourth line too. 

The downfall of the NYR's season is quite amazing.

DeAngelo gone.

Zibanejad totally MIA (has like 4 points in 20 games)

Adam Fox also very quiet

and now Panarin with some Voynov kind of problems in Russia after showing support to Navalny

I, for one, is shocked by all of this.  I was seing the NYR quite big before season started, even drafted Shesterkin AND the NYR as a Team in my fantasy pool along with Buchnevich.

28 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

The downfall of the NYR's season is quite amazing.

DeAngelo gone.

Zibanejad totally MIA (has like 4 points in 20 games)

Adam Fox also very quiet

and now Panarin with some Voynov kind of problems in Russia after showing support to Navalny

I, for one, is shocked by all of this.  I was seing the NYR quite big before season started, even drafted Shesterkin AND the NYR as a Team in my fantasy pool along with Buchnevich.

Whatever hurts the Rangers is good for the Habs (assuming that we return to something like the old Conference alignments post-Covid) so I'm not going to cry over their problems. That said, the Panarin thing is alarming, on a human level. A guy who allegedly beats up women is human garbage; but a guy who takes a stand against that thug Putin is admirable; so he makes a complicated case for sure.

35 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Whatever hurts the Rangers is good for the Habs (assuming that we return to something like the old Conference alignments post-Covid) so I'm not going to cry over their problems. That said, the Panarin thing is alarming, on a human level. A guy who allegedly beats up women is human garbage; but a guy who takes a stand against that thug Putin is admirable; so he makes a complicated case for sure.

Yeah, it's definitely a weird situation. Definitely a hit job by Putin, but is it completely fabricated, or are they just uncovering something that they originally helped cover up to protect a young star in the making?

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The more i read on the panarin thing it seems like the story of him hitting a woman 10 years ago is highly questionable.  There is every reason to believe this is putin and friends trying to discredit the one big hockey player who has been critical of Putin's regime and in favour of Navalny.

Seems to me the leave of absence could be about getting his remaining family out of russia. 

There seems to be a lot to say the story is made up.  Especially based on the source.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Commandant said:

The more i read on the panarin thing it seems like the story of him hitting a woman 10 years ago is highly questionable.  There is every reason to believe this is putin and friends trying to discredit the one big hockey player who has been critical of Putin's regime and in favour of Navalny.

Seems to me the leave of absence could be about getting his remaining family out of russia. 

There seems to be a lot to say the story is made up.  Especially based on the source.

This story seems questionable to me. Or maybe just a coincidence that it's happening to the one player critical of Putin? I don't think Ovie has to worry about made up stories as he is a big fan of Putin. 

19 minutes ago, DON said:

Hmmm, i guess this is what is classified a 'good" goal.:blink:

https://twitter.com/MeekerGuerrier/status/1364775668001685508

NHL is a joke. The call against the Habs last game is so extraordinarily bad that I found myself wondering whether Bergevin or Molson or Julien or *someone* has offended the powers that be, because some kind irrational anti-Hab hate-on seemed to be the only explanation. However, when dealing with this league, incompetence is usually the better explanation. Occam’s Razor.

9 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

NHL is a joke. The call against the Habs last game is so extraordinarily bad that I found myself wondering whether Bergevin or Molson or Julien or *someone* has offended the powers that be, because some kind irrational anti-Hab hate-on seemed to be the only explanation. However, when dealing with this league, incompetence is usually the better explanation. Occam’s Razor.

Sadly true.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

On the DoPS front, I think they hurt their cause with the ridiculous (and frankly, embarrassing) campaign they launched to try to get Niskanen suspended in the bubble.  They've kept it up this year with the public comments looking for suspensions, a strategy that will never work and I'd imagine they've lost the benefit of the doubt.

That's an entirely different department than the war room though.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic