2021 NHL General Discussion

hab29RETIRED

4 minutes ago, DON said:

Thought he was retired Alberta rancher now?

It's only been five years since he coached ... nothing much has changed in that time has it?

How long will this guy be allowed to risk the safety and lives of NHL players ..... forever, NHL doesn't care ... that should be 15 games minimum

41 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

How long will this guy be allowed to risk the safety and lives of NHL players ..... forever, NHL doesn't care ... that should be 15 games minimum

Given the unpunished headshots the Habs have been subjected to this season, part of me wants to say that that had better NOT be a suspension. 

But of couse it should be, as all head shots should be.

1 minute ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

NHL won’t have meaningful changes until someone dies or perhaps the players strike. 

Then the lawsuits and press will force their hands. 

I have no explanation for why this crap is tolerated. 

Players have been part of the problem, never the solution.  They just keep say they were following up on a hit. Players need to speak up more when their own teammate does something stupid and not just when they get hit themselves. Can’t see them striking over safety issues. Former players that are in the DoPS are even worse.

4 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Players have been part of the problem, never the solution.  They just keep say they were following up on a hit. Players need to speak up more when their own teammate does something stupid and not just when they get hit themselves. Can’t see them striking over safety issues. Former players that are in the DoPS are even worse.

Yes - the players themselves seem to *want* this “old-school hockey” where they are at constant risk of permanent brain injury.

9 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

NHL won’t have meaningful changes until someone dies or perhaps the players strike. 

Then the lawsuits and press will force their hands. 

I have no explanation for why this crap is tolerated. 

Haven’t the lawsuits already been neutralized? 

I agree that it will take a guy dying or being permanently handicapped before this changes.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Given the unpunished headshots the Habs have been subjected to this season, part of me wants to say that that had better NOT be a suspension. 

But of couse it should be, as all head shots should be.

Drives me bat shit crazy when I hear bruins fans bitch about deliberate head shots yet deem the Chara hit on Pacioretty as a clean hockey play. 

9 minutes ago, Helmethead said:

Drives me bat shit crazy when I hear bruins fans bitch about deliberate head shots yet deem the Chara hit on Pacioretty as a clean hockey play. 

Dont hear active players saying much on these hits, so assume they must be OK with a few terribly dangerous hits as a cost of doing business.

35 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

No real major ramifications - Vegas is in San Jose and they found another hotel to stay at.

Ahh, i misunderstood before.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I have to think this is a first for an NHL team:

Few years back at a meeting overseas I couldn't get a room at the hotel I preferred, and had to stay across the street .... I arrived at the meetings Wednesday of the first week to discover that those staying at my preferred hotel awoke to a note under their door saying the hotel had declared bankruptcy and they had to be out by 1:00 pm ... STUFF happens

Interesting report from The Athletic about players available at the trade deadline:

Max Domi, 26, forward, Columbus Blue Jackets
Contract Status: One more year remaining, $5.3 million cap hit

The Columbus discussion extends to what to do with Domi, who came in the Josh Anderson deal and looked to slot into a top-six role with the Blue Jackets, ideally as a center. Hasn’t worked out. At all ...

Ottawa’s getting destroyed against Edmonton both on the scoresheet (7-0 with 10 minutes left) but also on the injury front. Both Colin White, as well as Ryan Dzingel have had to be helped off of the ice.

6 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Ottawa’s getting destroyed against Edmonton both on the scoresheet (7-0 with 10 minutes left) but also on the injury front. Both Colin White, as well as Ryan Dzingel have had to be helped off of the ice.

I watched a fair bit of that game and Ottawa‘a hard forecheck is killing them. Oilers simply make quick, accurate passes and they are in scoring position just like that

Ottawa needs to adjust their game when they play Edmonton 

They started this process before the Dubois trade and in that stretch, it has gone absolutely nowhere.  The fact remains that Canadian government officials are in no hurry to do anything that would loosen restrictions.  If every player in the league had two vaccinations, I still think it'd be months before anything was lifted.  That's just the current political climate.  With so many regional health authorities needing to sign off (it can't be one rule for one province and a different one for another), it's not a simple process at all.  The NHL is already pondering substitute US cities for the third round of the playoffs when the Canadian team will have to move to the US which is a telling sign of what the league thinks the likelihood of a quarantine restriction being lifted by June will be let alone April.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic