2021 NHL General Discussion

hab29RETIRED

17 games in April, with deadline on the 12th, should make for a very interesting month in Habland.:popcorn:

Just need to avoid any 9 game losing streaks and should be playoff bound. 

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Byron on taxi and Toffoli next to KK?

Hopefully Toffoli is ready to go soon, i havent heard if he is close or not?.

22 minutes ago, DON said:

Hopefully Toffoli is ready to go soon, i havent heard if he is close or not?.

First time skating since the injury was the morning skate today.  I think he will play saturday.

Canucks now have two players and a coach on the COVID-19 list. Game with Edmonton tonight postponed, likely also next week's games against Winnipeg and Calgary. It'll make for a busy April/May schedule for them, and also mess with the Jets' and Flames' schedules.

On 3/31/2021 at 8:58 PM, tomh009 said:

Canucks now have two players and a coach on the COVID-19 list. Game with Edmonton tonight postponed, likely also next week's games against Winnipeg and Calgary. It'll make for a busy April/May schedule for them, and also mess with the Jets' and Flames' schedules.

That is currently up to 8 players and a member of staff, I’m assuming a coach.

35 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

At this point the rest of their season has got to be in jeopardy, right?

I don't think they're there at that point.  Not all of those players necessarily have it (close contacts are on the CPRA list as well) and for those that do and recover without many complications, it's a two-week absence like Armia - who may start skating as soon as Monday.  I think they'll postpone a few more games but as far as shutting things down, that's probably not happening for a while yet. 

Vancouver is starting to pull players up from their minor league team (which had quite the outbreak of their own last month) to quarantine in anticipation of games resuming.  By the time that happens, they may get a few names off the CPRA list as well, Pettersson returns, and they can ice enough healthy skaters to dress a lineup (where they'll probably lose a bunch of games anyway).

I think this is funny and semi-clever ... but expect some people will b truly <peeved> ... perhaps PK and/or David Poile amongst them

• Like 1

Flames fans must be sooooooooo happy Treliving hired Darryl Sutter ... his 4-12 record has done WONDERS for them ... sadly, no useful rentals on that roster, that I can see anyway (and long-term trades are ridiculously tough in-season)

On 4/4/2021 at 10:38 AM, GHT120 said:

I think this is funny and semi-clever ... but expect some people will b truly <peeved> ... perhaps PK and/or David Poile amongst them

Love it!

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Flames fans must be sooooooooo happy Treliving hired Darryl Sutter ... his 4-12 record has done WONDERS for them ... sadly, no useful rentals on that roster, that I can see anyway (and long-term trades are ridiculously tough in-season)

Sam Bennett is effectively a rental player as his $2.55M qualifying offer is on the steep side in this market for the little offensive production he has provided.

29 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Sam Bennett is effectively a rental player as his $2.55M qualifying offer is on the steep side in this market for the little offensive production he has provided.

Considered him ... might be worthwhile ... just expect Flames will want more than a 9 goals per 82 games season warrants ... basically Bennet has been Artturi Lehkonen offensively (career: 13.7g/82gm vs 14.7/82) ... if MB could convince the Flames to swap them, a change of scenery could benefit both ... but I expect Treliving might hold out for a decent sweetener to give up his former #4 overall ... question would be how much, and whether it would be worthwhile ... but Lehkonen is clearly not in the Habs plans, absent injury ... maybe Bennet could play his way into at least the plans for this season ... and he has some background filling in at centre if ever necessary

10 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Considered him ... might be worthwhile ... just expect Flames will want more than a 9 goals per 82 games season warrants ... basically Bennet has been Artturi Lehkonen offensively (career: 13.7g/82gm vs 14.7/82) ... if MB could convince the Flames to swap them, a change of scenery could benefit both ...

I don't think Lehkonen really needs a change of scenery. The effort and hustle is there, he consistently works hard. For some reason he has trouble putting the puck in the net, but I don't think it's due to the environment or the effort.

8 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I don't think Lehkonen really needs a change of scenery. The effort and hustle is there, he consistently works hard. For some reason he has trouble putting the puck in the net, but I don't think it's due to the environment or the effort.

In his case it is more new place, new coach, new opportunity to win confidence and icetime, maybe a full-time role

MB couldn't better that deal?????

Better be that the players would waive their NTCs for Montreal ... the return is weak ... retain %50 and only get a 2021 first, 2022 conditional 4th and two seemingly marginal AHL prospects?

They had no need for Zajac and couldn't afford him and Palmieri combined, even with New Jersey retaining 50% ($5.2M vs $3.75 for Gallagher's LTIR).  I thought they might kick the tires on Palmieri but Zajac is not a big loss here.

17 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

They had no need for Zajac and couldn't afford him and Palmieri combined, even with New Jersey retaining 50% ($5.2M vs $3.75 for Gallagher's LTIR).  I thought they might kick the tires on Palmieri but Zajac is not a big loss here.

Zajac may not have been a need but he would not have been a useless addition either ... solid 3rd/4th line veteran ... include Armia in the deal and the cap-hit is more than covered with Gallagher's LTIR ... OR ... if Fitzgerald is willing to make the NYI deal, MB might even have been able to move Byron to NJD for a reasonable cost

I would prefer the puckmoving LHD but don't want MB ignoring chances in the vague  hope of chasing an even rarer asset

Montour to Florida for a third-rounder (no cap retention either).  Not a bad pickup for the Panthers who needed a top-four guy with Ekblad out.  Montour didn't work with the Sabres but a change of scenery could do him some good.

35 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Montour to Florida for a third-rounder (no cap retention either).  Not a bad pickup for the Panthers who needed a top-four guy with Ekblad out.  Montour didn't work with the Sabres but a change of scenery could do him some good.

Wouldn't have minded him for the 3rd pairing RHD ... would have been OK with making it the Blackhawks third (almost assuredly better than Florida's) and a 4th for Sabres to retain 50%

1 minute ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

So far prices have been dirt cheap. 

That may change as the available options decrease

• dlbalr unpinned this topic