2021 NHL General Discussion

hab29RETIRED

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

"Expect the unexpected." - Marc Bergevin.

Byron and Lehkonen for Crosby with 50% retained by Pens?

15 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

A good summery by Eric Engels of the Habs trade deadline situation ... but sheds no real light on what to expect

It overstates Montreal's cap space which bugs me.  They don't have $1.6M to spend at the trade deadline plus the LTIR room.  That's what today's roster looks like with the bare minimum on there (Chiarot's on the active roster technically).  Once Evans is recalled, that takes out a chunk.  Then they'll have to bring Primeau back.  That takes out another chunk.  Then they'll bring up Leskinen and lo and behold, the cap space is all gone.  To not even mention that in the article is a bit disingenuous.

12 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

It overstates Montreal's cap space which bugs me.  They don't have $1.6M to spend at the trade deadline plus the LTIR room.  That's what today's roster looks like with the bare minimum on there (Chiarot's on the active roster technically).  Once Evans is recalled, that takes out a chunk.  Then they'll have to bring Primeau back.  That takes out another chunk.  Then they'll bring up Leskinen and lo and behold, the cap space is all gone.  To not even mention that in the article is a bit disingenuous.

Thanks @dlbalr !

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I think we're going to see a bit more to this deal than what's out there (Savard for a 1st).

Impressive manoeuvring by Yzerman to basically get a 4th round pick for facilitating a cap retention - and only retaining 25% of cap space. Great work by Yzerman and Brisbois!

Another vicious head shot today by Reeves today. That’s the type of hit that should be a minimum 15 games for someone with no record. For a guy with Reeves record it should be much more severe. Which of course the DPS being the joke it is, means at most Reeves probably just get a slap on the wrist.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

If true, that's a big pickup for them.  That's not good for the Habs.

Is that a done deal? 
It’s a lot easier making moves at the deadline when you have an elite core and just need to add complementary pieces. In any event, while they need depth at forward,  I’d be more worried if they made a significant addition to the blue line - which I would have thought they would try and do.

image.png

Right or wrong, they saw what they wanted and went out and got it ... using up their LTIR ... wonder if this means that Anderson isn't back until the playoffs?

52 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Is that a done deal? 
It’s a lot easier making moves at the deadline when you have an elite core and just need to add complementary pieces. In any event, while they need depth at forward,  I’d be more worried if they made a significant addition to the blue line - which I would have thought they would try and do.

It's Galchenyuk's spot that they were trying to fill with this deal.  This will take him out of the top six which probably isn't a bad idea.

31 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

image.png

Right or wrong, they saw what they wanted and went out and got it ... using up their LTIR ... wonder if this means that Anderson isn't back until the playoffs?

With the double retention, they can bring Andersen back.  They need to free up $2.3M in full-season salary to activate him, Barabanov, Hutchinson, and Marincin make $2.35M.

13 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

... With the double retention, they can bring Andersen back.  They need to free up $2.3M in full-season salary to activate him, Barabanov, Hutchinson, and Marincin make $2.35M.

Had not noticed that TSN Trade Tracker makes no mention of salary retention ... don't like to give credit to any team from TO, but Leafs are squeezing every drop out of their cap ... kudos to them 

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

If true, that's a big pickup for them.  That's not good for the Habs.

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Toronto got foligno for 1.375 mill after double retention for a 1st and two 4ths.

Crazy overpay.

After retention, Staal (who is better than foligno) costs 1.6 million for a 3rd and 5th.

If Staal (today) is better than Foligno (today), then this does not look like a huge add for the Leafs, even if it does allow them to push Galchenyuk down to the bottom six.

But I have not watched Foligno play for quite some time, I think.

This is way i am in no rush to bring up Caufiled. Keep him in the AHL, give him a full training camp and preseason next year to prove himself.

I also believe now it's time to trade some of our core players. They are to unpredictable and inconsistent, they stay cold longer than they stay hot. Those guys I want unloaded are Byron, lehkonen, Danault, Armia 

11 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

I also believe now it's time to trade some of our core players. They are to unpredictable and inconsistent, they stay cold longer than they stay hot. Those guys I want unloaded are Byron, lehkonen, Danault, Armia 

One has cleared waivers three times already, one is coming back from COVID-19 which hurts his value, and one has been talked about as a cap dump.  While Danault carries some value, the other three aren't going to fetch anything of consequence in this market.

19 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

One has cleared waivers three times already, one is coming back from COVID-19 which hurts his value, and one has been talked about as a cap dump.  While Danault carries some value, the other three aren't going to fetch anything of consequence in this market.

Not now but at the draft or in the off season i would trade them all hopefully Seattle can take Byron off our hands at the expansion draft. But it time to cut the dead weight with our forward group. 

1 minute ago, Habsfan89 said:

... hopefully Seattle can take Byron off our hands at the expansion draft ...

IMO that would be ideal ... Habs would get to keep Allen at about 2/3 the cap hit of this season and dispose of Byron's $3.4 ... net gain of almost $5 million on the cap ... but what would it cost to get Seattle to take him ... Ron Francis will be squeezing teams for everything he can get.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Toronto got foligno for 1.375 mill after double retention for a 1st and two 4ths.

Crazy overpay.

After retention, Staal (who is better than foligno) costs 1.6 million for a 3rd and 5th.

I agree, an overpay but clearly the Leafs are all in this year and I don't blame them as they are a legitimate contender. The Leafs are likely the Habs 1st round opponent (assuming the Habs hang on to 4th).  There is no trade the Habs can make that can put them on equal footing with the Leafs so the Habs might as well keep their picks and prospects and go into the playoffs as a big underdog. Maybe they can have some fun with that as all the pressure will be on the Leafs. Maybe Carey can steal a series. 

• dlbalr unpinned this topic